Uechi-ryu Question

C

crbnwdn

I am thinking of beginning to study with a Dojo that teaches the Uechi-ryu style Karate, along with Iaido and Aikido. Is there anyone studying the Uechi-ryu style who could share with me its charateristics and how it compares with other styles of Karate or Kung Fu. Below are suppose to be the credentials of the Sensei for both the Uechi-ryu and Iaido classes.

I teach Muso Jikiden Eishinryu Iaido, in which I am a nanadan (7th degree "black belt",instructor) and have studied for 20 years, 10 of which were in Japan under swordmaster, Noboru Yamashita; and Uechiryu karate, in which I am a godan (5th degree black belt) and have studied for 33 years, one of which was under the great master, Seiyu Shinjo.

Any cooments are appreciated.

Thank you.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you do a Search for Uechi in this forum you'll find a number of hits.

I studied Uechi-ryu some years back in Providence, RI and found it very interesting. It uses the index-knuckle punch and very circular blocks. Its blocks I found especially effective. It's got a tiger influence and of all major forms of karate is the one most similar to Southern Chinese kung fu (from which all forms of karate principally descend) and one of the softest. It has a quick, snappy feel, it fights mostly forward-facing, and it does a fairly soft Sanchin. The front kick is done with the toe knuckles which actually works out well if you have shoes on. There are a fair number of spearhand and leopard (half-fist) strikes but the focus is on the phoenix-eye fist. It also has some body conditioning/sensitivity exercises.

It's a legitimate, traditional style of Okinawan karate, and in fact is one of the four major styles of Okinawn karate. It's also a relatively newer style of karate, having been brought to Okinawa less than a hundred years ago and modified into a form of karate by the son of the person who brought it back even more recently.

There are several variants of Uechi-ryu nowadays, including Shohei-ryu and Pangainoon-ryu. Some teach only the three kata of the original kung fu system and others teach those plus the five added after the founder's death by his son.

You'll find lots of info. on it on the web; George Mattson's site is a good one. Allen Dollar is another one to check. There are books and videos available for the system.

Ask in the Sword Arts forum about iaido but the style you mention is a traditional and well-known one. I have also studied iaido and it's a lot of fun.

OP
F

fissure

Can't help you with any of these MA styles , but is 20 yrs. enough time to reach 7th Dan?Just a question.Maybe sword stuff is different than other Japanese arts.:confused:

OP
C

Chiduce

Maybe the Nanadan 7th Degree was a misprint. Shichidan means 7 or 7th Degree Black Belt. This is the first time that i have seen or heard of Nana as a japanese number. Nana or Nano is american and means 9, i thought! 20 years training is enough for 10th Dan Ranking. Some systems rank 4th Dan and up as Master.
Those whom are founders of their own respective martial art's styles/systems are really 10th Dans/Soke/Headasters, and can promote to 10th Dan in their style; though they may not have 10 years training experience. So, exists the martial art's political side!
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by crbnwdn

I teach Muso Jikiden Eishinryu Iaido, in which I am a nanadan (7th degree "black belt",instructor) and have studied for 20 years, 10 of which were in Japan under swordmaster, Noboru Yamashita; and Uechiryu karate, in which I am a godan (5th degree black belt) and have studied for 33 years, one of which was under the great master, Seiyu Shinjo.

If he studied with these people his is legit.
I have met Shinjo and he is one of the more famous Uechi teachers in Okinawa.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Chiduce

Maybe the Nanadan 7th Degree was a misprint. Shichidan means 7 or 7th Degree Black Belt. This is the first time that i have seen or heard of Nana as a japanese number.

Nanadan is correct, just as yondan 4th dan is used . Only foreigners that are unfamiliar with Japanese language and customs use "shichidan." :rolleyes:

There are two ways to say the number 7 & 4 in Japanese.
7 = shichi or nana (depends on the situation and what you are counting.)
4 = shi or yon ( same as above)

Why is it Nanadan instead of Shichidan?

When counting from 1 to 10 if you use shi=4 then you use shichi=7 and if you use yon=4 then you use Nana=7.
Since shi = 4 is the same sound as shi meaning death it is not used in this case, since shi is not used shichi is also not used.

Those whom are founders of their own respective martial art's styles/systems are really 10th Dans/Soke/Headasters, and can promote to 10th Dan in their style; though they may not have 10 years training experience. So, exists the martial art's political side!
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

10 dan does not equal Soke and vice versa. Just because someone is a 10th dan does not make them a Soke.
Case in point. The head of the Katori Shinto Ryu school of sword (Japan's oldest documented sword school) has no dan rank and no training in the art. He is by heir the Soke of that style as has been all members of his family for several hundred years.
The head instructor is Mr. Otake.
Soke in Japan are more often than not the family heir or top student of a style and inherit it upon the masters retirement or death.
Also of note: On those extremely rare occasions when there is a Soke of a style, the system uses the menkyo system rather than the dan system.

Note:

Having lived in Japan for over 14 years and attended literally 100's of traditional martial arts events held by such groups as the Kobudo Shinkokai and other groups of equal caliber I have not seen as many "Soke" here in Japan as I have on the Internet websites from America and Europe.
Basically the west has turned the term Soke into a big joke. Some "dipsticks" in the west heard the term "Soke" and wanted to use it as a marketing tool to make themselves seem more legit and higher rank than their competitors.
I am also of the opinion that any westerner that calls himself a "Soke" is pretty much of a joke, especially since most of them seem extremely young and inexperienced for such a title.

I know of only one westerner that trained for many years in Japan and was offered the title but turned it down because he was moving to America.
Also of note, a Soke in Japan will never refer to himself as a Soke in spoken and not normally in written form either.

OP
C

Chiduce

I see your point here. I was referring only to the Shodai Soke in the founding of their new system; upon receiving the title from a governing Soke Council/ organization etc,. Though, i clearly understand where you are coming from in your post. Even though i personally can promote within my own system to the rank of say honorary 8th-10th dan; i dont consider myself a soke or self proclaimed 10th Dan/ Shodai Soke. I will leave that up to the Councils and other governing organizations. Thank you for the nanadan explanation.
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

OP
C

Chiduce

RyuShiKan;
When you get a chance; check out the new DKKC News, and 1st Photo Page link at my website.
Sincerely, In Humility
Chiduce!

OP
K

Kirk

I no NOTHING about this subject, but a buddy of mine who's a
shodan in Iaido and Kendo, was reading over my shoulder,
and asked me to post this here:

Originally posted by RyuShiKan

The head of the Katori Shinto Ryu school of sword (Japan's oldest documented sword school)

Sort of.

They were the first to register their style. That doesn't mean the
style started when it was registered - they (and many other
styles) had been in existence long before any of the styles were
registered.

Tenshin Shoden Katori Ryu is more than just a sword school. The
style also incorporates the bo (long staff), jo (short staff), and
probably several other weapons - maybe naginata (long staff
with blade on end) and yari (spear).

TSKR is interesting in that the sword techniques are for use
against a person in armor and the attack points are the weak
points in the armor (underside of wrists, armpit, throat, cutting off
toes, etc...).

Check this link:

http://www.aikikai.ie/ksrireland/

Click on the About KSR link.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

I see your point here. I was referring only to the Shodai Soke in the founding of their new system; upon receiving the title from a governing Soke Council/ organization etc,.

"Soke Councils" are also a western invention and bogus.
If westerners are going to use Japanese terms and different aspects of Japanese Martial culture they should first know what they are.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Kirk

They were the first to register their style. That doesn't mean the
style started when it was registered - they (and many other
styles) had been in existence long before any of the styles were
registered.

As a former student of the style I am rather familiar with the history of it.
Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu as I stated above is the oldest "documented" sword school.
The Kashima Shinto Ryu school is actually considered by many to be the oldest........they just can't prove it because of the lack of "documentation".

Originally posted by Kirk

Tenshin Shoden Katori Ryu is more than just a sword school. The
style also incorporates the bo (long staff), jo (short staff), and
probably several other weapons - maybe naginata (long staff
with blade on end) and yari (spear).

Actually it is considered a "sword" school because the weapon they concentrate on is the sword.
They do use other weapons but don't teach them per say.
Other weapons are only used as to practice sword techniques against them and are not taught "battle usage" as with the sword.
For example they do not train bo vs naginata or any other combination of weapons, it is always sword vs some other weapon. The training is done in 2 man kata sets. Each person has certain moves and strikes and are done for each weapon attacking a swordsman. All the kata consist of sword vs bo, naginata and so on.
Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu also teaches "numeral divination" and some other odd things.

The website photos were taken at my old dojo, where I studied under the late Sugino Yoshio.

Interesting note:
Sugino Yoshio did the fight choreography for the movie "The 7 Samurai"

OP
R

RyuShiKan

RyuShiKan;
When you get a chance; check out the new DKKC News, and 1st Photo Page link at my website.
Sincerely, In Humility
Chiduce!

I treid to got to your website and all I got was this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry: Website butokutsururyu is not published for public viewing. If you are the site owner, login and publish your site under Site Options.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OP
C

Chiduce

I treid to got to your website and all I got was this:

Sorry: Website butokutsururyu is not published for public viewing. If you are the site owner, login and publish your site under Site Options.

That site has been merged with the Consortium site. Just click on the www. beside my profile on this post and go to the photo page and the DKKC News page . Or use this http://www.chiduce.swsites.net
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

OP
C

Chiduce

Sorry for the confusion. The south west sites url is now the major site to all other links. I need to edit my url for this forum!
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

OP
R

RyuShiKan

That site has been merged with the Consortium site. Just click on the www. beside my profile on this post and go to the photo page and the DKKC News page . Or use this http://www.chiduce.swsites.net
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

OK.......and what am I supposed to be looking for?

OP
C

Chiduce

OK.......and what am I supposed to be looking for?
Photo Page and DKKC News. The links are on the left hand side of the page!
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Photo Page and DKKC News. The links are on the left hand side of the page!
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

Ok.....I saw them and what specifically am I looking for on those pages?

OP
C

Chiduce

Nothing much really; i just thought that you could get a little more understanding of our organization it's workings and myself fro the information on thoses pages.
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Nothing much really; i just thought that you could get a little more understanding of our organization it's workings and myself fro the information on thoses pages.
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

I think I have a pretty good understanding of what your organization is about.