Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrencowan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I am a 4th degree black belt in Sanchin Ryu Karate. I am also a rock n roll journalist. I attend concerts, photograph the bands, write live reports and interview major artists. One thing that has bothered me throughout my career is the attitudes of many bouncers/security. I am there working just like them, in fact, I'm indirectly responsible for them making money, but they talk to me like I'm a nobody and try to intimidate me with their size. I feel this is a poor practice. I worked six months for a very credible firm in Austin, Texas. We didn't try to intimidate people. We first talked to them and told them what was the deal. We didn't give them this attitude of "because I said so, so shut up" that I often get from security.

I feel this is a misstep for clubs and band management. For one, I would rather have a smaller guy who knows how to handle himself, who can calmly and rationally speak to patron without intimidation then some meathead.

Two, these people aren't communicating who can do what. We get a pass that shows what we can and can't do, but when I get off the bus from interviewing a platinum-selling artist, I would like more respect. It's because of this, I had to end a business relationship with a club I was very fond of. Even when I approached the club owners, they still acted like I was all at fault. There was no responsibility for their missteps, what-so-ever. I feel the inability to owe up to your own mistakes is an endangered species in our society.

As far as grappling, hand-to-hand techniques goes, I have studied and am proficient. Sanchin Ryu is very big on trapping.
phil-anselmo-interview-MU.jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am confused. What is the issue exactly?

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Boo hoo are they not being very nice? That's life get on with it and also umm what does your grappling skills have to do with this?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, not sure how your martial arts rank or your grappling ability have anything to do with the issue of being given "respect" by bouncers at a club. Are you wanting acknowledgment that you could beat them in a fight? Why is that relevant to anything? If you're living your life right you should never be getting into a fight with a bouncer in a club.

A rule of thumb I follow regarding respect is this: I try to be respectful towards everyone. I don't worry about what level of respect they give or don't give to me. This approach tends to minimize stress in my life. Might want to give it a try.

Another thought to consider: If you encounter a bouncer who seems to be rude to you, then it's likely that person is just a jerk. If all the bouncers you encounter seem rude, then perhaps the problem is on the other end. (BTW - this is a useful heuristic for other interpersonal relationships as well.)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol Most don't talk down to anybody. What do you expect, one to stand there and hand you a bunch of flowers. Camera = heavy object = potentially blunt force trauma. If looking out for that sort of thing means being a bit curt, and laughing like a hyena then so be it.

Suggest you doing the job and find out for yourself how "please don't do that" does not work. "Because I said so" does.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was Tez being a bit saucy. She does that kind of a lot. :D

Moi? people should be specific when posting, not vague, size after all isn't everything......... ;)

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mmmh... maybe the bouncers were worried about that ego not fitting through the door.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well as long as you're not acting like a punk they should have no issues with you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions