Sai Katas?

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's good to know, Samurai, thanks for the heads up.

I agree about the forms. In fact, one of the kata we have to know for Okinawa-te is simply a previously learned kata, but with sai. I've also tried using sai with some of our short forms, with good success. I want to get a pair of tonfa for the same purpose.

Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for that oddessy.com link. Unfortunately, I ran into some problems with it. Namely:
  1. The site would only open in IE. Netscape 4.x and the latest Mozilla release refused to display the site. I hate IE. HATE it.
  2. The picture for the handmade sai is very small and it's very hard, in my case impossible, to see the difference between the handmade and 'standard' sai.
  3. The sai only come in one size, from what I could tell. This is particularly bad, as sai are not 'one size fits all'.
    [/list=1]

For $200, they should offer different sizes and have a much better picture of their product on their site.

Usually, the correct length of the sai should be long enough so that the tip extends a couple of inches past your elbow when held in a reverse grip. Handgrip lengths should be of corresponding size...that is to say, the longer the sai, the longer the handle, shorter the sai, shorter the handle.

If I am incorrect in any of my above points, please feel free to correct me. However, thanks for the link, all the same, since it is the only place I've seen so far that claims to sell 'proper' sai.

Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, Cebu. The networking that occurs on this forum is great.

I think Kaith is also interested in 'authentic' sai. Unfortunately, there seems to be precious few resources available via the Internet.

The more I think about it, the more irked I am that their sai are only available in one length. I ain't a tall fella, so their 20" sai may just be too long for me, which could cause problems when chambering the sai from a reverse grip.

On the other hand, any freakishly tall people using the sai may find that length too short, causing their elbows to get whacked when performing blocks with a reverse grip.

Also, I've seen sources saying that sai were carried in sets of three, not pairs. In one sai kata, two sai are eventually thrown, and the third sai that was held in reserve comes into play at the end of the form. The sai were sharpened to a fine point and usually thrown at the feet, effectively pinning your opponent in place.

Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know what you mean. I would only consider doing sinawalli with my sai against some sort of stick. Of course, the sticks would then get battered. Too bad I don't have $2-300USD to spare on a pair of decent sai. At least I know where I can get them.

Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heh...

Which Pinan Nidan and Shodan? :) Basically, are you talking about the Pinans before or after Funakoshi changed the order of the first two?

I guess the easiest way to distinguish the two would be the one with or without a kick? :D

And of course, to further confuse things, when Ohtsuke (sp?) left Funakoshi to found Wado Ryu, he put the Pinans back into the correct order.

Thoroughly confused myself, now. :boing1:

Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for that bit of info, arnisador. The TKD I train with does the Pinan forms (with very slight variations), but the other (younger) TKD guys in the class don't do the Pinans. I guess part of it depends on what organization you belong to...the guy I train with could be considered 'old school' :)

He also does Bassai and Chinto (which Funakoshi renamed to Gankaku, I think), as well as the Tekki kata. Plus, he does some other regular TKD kata like Koryo.

Cthulhu

R

Rob_Broad

Pinan Nidan translates easily into a Sai Kata, just like Pinan Shodan translate greatly into a kama kata.

R

Rob_Broad

Do the variation of before the changes. Any simple four coner blocking pattern is also good to help you get some basic sai work.

R

Rob_Broad

Here is a beginner Sai Kata I teach.

Nukite

Opening stance - Sai in each hand legs shoulder width apart

1. Left foot steps back to 7:30
2. Pivot counter-clockwise to face 9:00 as left sai upward blocks
3. Right foot steps forward to 9:00 as you punch with butt end of right sai.
4. Right foot steps back into horse stance, left hand low blocks with sai
5. Left foot shifts towards 3:00 as you pivot clockwise to face 3:00 as you right upward block with right sai
6. Left foot steps forward to 3:00 as left hand punches with butt end of left sai
7. Left foot steps back into horse stance, right low block with sai
8. Left foot steps forward to 12:00 as left sai outward flip blocks
9. Right foot steps forward to 12:00 as right sai outward flip blocks
10. Left front kick into a forward leaning stance
11. Left elbow up to 1:30 -- this drags the tyne and then the point up the opponents body
12. Left low block
13. Right punch with butt end of sai
14. Right foot steps over to left foot as right sai swings out to strike at 6:00
15. Left foot steps forward to 6:00
16. Right front kick to 6:00
17. Right elbow up to 4:30 -- this drag the tyne and then the point up the opponents body
18. Right low block
19. Left punch with butt end of sai
20. Left foot steps over to right foot as left sai swings out to strike at 12:00
21. Left foot steps back counter clockwise to 7:30 into a right forward leaning stance
22. Left foot steps up even with right foot shoulder width apart

R

Rob_Broad

Hope that little sai kata helps those looking fora beginner level kata. If you make it through that one let me know I have a couple others.

D

Darryl Garrick

Hi,

My name is Darryl, and I'm new to this forum :asian:

As a proud member of the IOKA in the UK, I can point out that there is a video by Grandmaster Mikio Nishiuchi that includes Sai Kata.

Hope this helps :)