Ryu

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Mya Ryu Jitsu
Well some people are just a-holes no matter how nice you try to be to them...and yes RSK I'm talking about you.

Chufeng is correct in that the pictures are old ones, years old in some cases. The patches on some of their uniforms were for demonstrations. The 'wall candy' in the background has nothing to do with me or the class. That is when we trained at the F.O.P. lodge [Fraternal Order of Police]. They had a car entered in the local races and had trophies and other trinkets displayed. We only used the room for training...the decorations were theirs!

The belts were worn for the photos..we didn't wear them normally. At the time we wanted a martial arts atmosphere, we no longer do.

Everything seems to conviently not be what it appears in those photos.
As you said yourself…….
Your comment is easy to make and hard to verify....

RSK your an idiot. Mods forgive me, but enough is enough...he's an idiot.
You don't like me RSK...to damn bad. You don't like my credentials..who cares? Your a dojo warrior with a big mouth and a lousy attitude. To me your the wanna-be because I doubt you have little if any real world experience. You just stick to your little dojo and your little criticisms and do what you do best bad mouth people rather than look to the positive and seek peace.
Your the real joke :mad:

Not only did you not use your center in that technique photo you are not using it here. You have let yourself become angry. I would think someone with as much “real-life” experiences as you claim would have more self-control and not let yourself get riled by an “idiot”.

C

chufeng

You don't like me RSK...to damn bad. You don't like my credentials..who cares? Your a dojo warrior with a big mouth and a lousy attitude. To me your the wanna-be because I doubt you have little if any real world experience. You just stick to your little dojo and your little criticisms and do what you do best bad mouth people rather than look to the positive and seek peace.

No...RSK is not a wannabe...he is the real deal...maybe uncouthe, maybe a bit stuck on busting those who claim more than the traditional arts and artists from the "old country" ever would dare to claim...but a wannabe...NOT...

I view RSK as a brother in traditional martial arts.
I view you as someone with some skill who is trying to establish himself...
I've given you the benefit of doubt...
I do not intend to "bash" or undermine your attempts at establishing a school of defensive tactics...Godspeed on your journey...

But, I hope you realize that the comment I made regarding distance screams to those who really KNOW traditional arts.

You are NOT in a position of advantage in that photo...

You might want to redo the whole photo-shoot thing...

:asian:
chufeng

A

A.R.K.

At least your admitting your an idiot...step in the right direction.

C

chufeng

I don't think we are on the same sheet of music here. What picture are you talking about? Your talking wrist I'm talking shoulder lock
Are you the bald guy with the white belt? or the black belt with the red top?

chufeng

C

chufeng

At least your admitting your an idiot...step in the right direction.

?????????

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Come on Dave, after all of your peace and love stuff ???

I actually thought we were making progress towards a peaceful resolution on the issue...

chufeng

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Two things -

One - I can see where the photo in question could have been an "in motion" shot that wasn't planned to appear the way it did. Reason number one that posing, no matter how contrary it may be to real martial arts, is the only way to represent techniques in still photos.

Two - name calling is really beneath you, MRJ. :disgust:

Up to this point, while I did not agree with your reluctance to answer the questions posed to you, I at least had a passing amount of respect for how you held your ground and did so with a modicum of restraint.

Your name calling pretty much chucked that in the crapper. :flushed:

Not that you probably care, really, and not that I care that you don't care. But I figured I'd at least let you know.

And just a neat little thing from the Budoshoshinshu:

"A samurai who is in service may well have among his acquaintences or comrades one with whom for some reason he does not wish to associate. But if he is ordered by his lord to serve with such a one he should immediately go to him and say, "I am ordered to serve with you, and though so far we have not been on speaking terms, as things are, I trust you will cooperate with me so that we can carry out our duties properly without any difficulties." And should the other be his senior in office, he will ask him to give him the benefit of his kind instruction. If the day after he should be transferred to some other position, then they are to revert to their former terms, but that meanwhile they are to agree to work together cordially in their official duties is the correct conduct for a samurai."

Just something I like to re-read every now and again...

Gambarimasu.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Guys....
I dont want to lock another bloody thread...ok?

Do us a favor.... let the 'crap' slide, and focus on the more important parts of -everyones- posts in this last series.

I believe it's been said that a still picture is very hard to understand the exact movements going on.

I think that alot of good has come out of these exchanges (though not to my hairline, but, heh, the gals like bald guys I hear....) :) )

focus on the good stuff huh?

I've got a request here.... I want video clips of stuff to add to MT's library. Send me some....this goes for everyone here. Lets see what everyones got and maybe we can all learn something from each other.

A

A.R.K.

That photo isn't even on my site anymore. And it's a simple wrist lock with an iron palm drag. Something common in law enforcement, you just can't see the cuffs because one is on his wrist and the other is in my hand away from the camera. It drags the BG forward/to the side by putting pain on the wrist. You WANT distance on this particular technique to 'drag' him down while rotating the arm into a cuffing position. It's simple and it works. Works from the back as well. We've taught and used it for years on real bg's.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
Guys....
I dont want to lock another bloody thread...ok?

Really? But they look so cool locked up like that with the sexy little lock icon... :D

I think that alot of good has come out of these exchanges (though not to my hairline, but, heh, the gals like bald guys I hear....) :) )

Yeah, and the girls like chubby guys like me... Keep right on telling yourself that, Kaith... Just like a mantra...

Lets see what everyones got and maybe we can all learn something from each other.

God forbid!!! :angel:

Gambarimasu.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yiliquan1
Yeah, and the girls like chubby guys like me... Keep right on telling yourself that, Kaith... Just like a mantra...

Trust me...I do..... :)

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That photo isn't even on my site anymore. And it's a simple wrist lock with an iron palm drag. Something common in law enforcement, you just can't see the cuffs because one is on his wrist and the other is in my hand away from the camera. It drags the BG forward/to the side by putting pain on the wrist. You WANT distance on this particular technique to 'drag' him down while rotating the arm into a cuffing position. It's simple and it works. Works from the back as well. We've taught and used it for years on real bg's.

Perhaps.

However, having had as a student a 5' 11" 250 pound body builder, I learned rather quickly that distance between he and I simply amplified his strength advantage during grappling movements. Staying close helps to neutralize the strength advantage by allowing me to make use of my body rather than just my arms.

As for having done it that way for years, fine. Whatever. If you are satisfied with it, fine. Personally, I wouldn't use it that way. I knew a jujutsu guy that claimed to have had LE training and had taught lots of military LE folks, and his locks and holds sucked butt. The largest MP in a class I "assisted" him with pulled right out of every hold he attempted to put the MP into. I didn't have that problem. :rolleyes:

Just my thoughts, for what little they are worth.

Gambarimasu.

C

chufeng

Kaith,

This is the closest we've come to a real dialogue...
If you lock us out now some crazed suicide bomber will hit the next thread...give it some time.

chufeng

R

RyuShiKan

The only thing I have ever really disagreed with MRJ (David Shultz) is his uncorroborated claims to rank and titles he has used. (Have no fear I am not bringing those up again……… at this time)
Other than that I don’t care if he practices in a pink ballet tutu covered in so many patches it looks like Richard Petty’s racecar or has a disco ball hanging from the celing of his dojo.

My teacher has always stressed that we should try and discover technique for ourselves rather than being spoon sped.
His idea is that we will never forget things we discover on our own, but often forget things we are “taught”.

So as far as MRJ’s making his own system….fine.
We all should be looking further and deeper into whatever we study (not restricted to MA’s) . Only by deep introspection and practice can anyone ever hope to achieve any amount of skill.

Here is a suggestion for your “new” photo:

Instead of putting your arms in the direction of your knee, which tends to give the person room to raise from the ground or rollout/in, push them in a more downward motion to “pin” the shoulder more and make it more difficult fro the bad guy to get up.

Attachments

• $sho2.jpg
    $sho2.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 144
A

A.R.K.

Yiliquan and Chufeng,

Why don't you jump on your buddy for throwing gasoline on the fire. You seem like leaders and not followers...so act like it. This thread was really shaping up till YOUR buddy decided to open his mouth with negative comments.

Was I posting peacefully?

Was I giving credit where due?

Was I showing appreciation where due?

It's a dead issue that will not be resolved because he says I have to belong to organization # 1 and I say I can belong or not belong to whatever organzation I chose. I would very much like to move on...but YOUR buddy keeps yanking us back.

It is tiresome and yes I've lost my patience. I may be a Christian but I can't walk on water yet. If not kind...tell me it wasn't a frank and honest apprasial of his posts again and again and again....

C

chufeng

Dave,

Give the WebBoard time to catch up and you might find you've actually gained considerable ground...

I am a Christian, too...

I don't think I've jumped on you with both feet since I saw your resume...correct me, if I'm wrong...

I'm sure we could learn from each other...you have specific techniques that I simply do not use (hand-cuff techniques)...but I'm sure that I can offer a few tidbits, as well.

chufeng

C

chufeng

You see...
RSK has given you actual user friendly information...

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Lambs and Lions sleeping together???
Will the world ever survive???

;)
chufeng

A

A.R.K.

Instead of putting your arms in the direction of your knee, which tends to give the person room to raise from the ground or rollout/in, push them in a more downward motion to “pin” the shoulder more and make it more difficult fro the bad guy to get up.

Already been covered. I know how to pin someone with a shoulderlock and yeah his shoulder will be touching to floor and his legs will be flat out as well. I also bring my forearm in a inward and upward motion on the tricep to further lock him. I've done it on a pissed off 6'8 380 lbs inmate high on crack...it works.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yiliquan and Chufeng,

Why don't you jump on your buddy for throwing gasoline on the fire. You seem like leaders and not followers...so act like it. This thread was really shaping up till YOUR buddy decided to open his mouth with negative comments.

#1 - I'm not a leader. Just a member like everyone else. Not sure what you expect from me...

#2 - RSK is my friend and my senior. While I don't always agree with his tone, I still agree 100% with what he is asking for. His methods differ from mine, but I work with attorneys and have a different way of getting people to do what I want. He uses one method, I use another. Ultimately, though, I don't disagree with what he has said (just, perhaps, how he has said it)... not one single bit.

Up until the whole "a-hole" and "idiot" comments... RSK has been suspended for less. I didn't think he was really posting in a manner that would cause you to lose your cool to that degree. But you did, for whatever reason.

Not sure, really... Gonna have to reread stuff...

It's a dead issue that will not be resolved because he says I have to belong to organization # 1 and I say I can belong or not belong to whatever organzation I chose. I would very much like to move on...but YOUR buddy keeps yanking us back.

He didn't say you had to belong to anything, just that there are organizations that exist that do police their own arts, and who authorize folks to promote other folks to certain levels in those particular arts. When folks claim rank that is typically only granted by those organizations under their authorization (in an attempt to police their own ranks, not to dominate and censure others), and it is found that such rank was not granted in that manner, it raises eyebrows...

If someone just went out and claimed to be a Senior Level 7 in Yiliquan, but couldn't manage to back that up with who promoted him and with what authorization, I'd be on his doorstep in a minute looking for proof... Because we enforce our own standards on our art for our mutual benefit and to prevent it from being transmitted incorrectly, improperly, or with loss of information and quality due to personal preferences...

That was his concern, as I understood it. I don't think your skills were ever called into question. As someone who claims an LE background, I am sure you can understand the necessity of maintaining the standards of certification for certain information. If a person claims he was certified by the National Police Teaching Certification Guy, but can't prove it, then there are issues... Similar questions were had in the debate between you and RSK.

It is tiresome and yes I've lost my patience. I may be a Christian but I can't walk on water yet. If not kind...tell me it wasn't a frank and honest apprasial of his posts again and again and again....

You lost more than your patience... You lost your cool. :cool: That is something an LEO and a MAist shouldn't do...

Gambarimasu.

R

RyuShiKan

Let’s not even go there or we will be shut down or worse.

Originally posted by Yiliquan1
As for having done it that way for years, fine. Whatever. If you are satisfied with it, fine. Personally, I wouldn't use it that way. I knew a jujutsu guy that claimed to have had LE training and had taught lots of military LE folks, and his locks and holds sucked butt. The largest MP in a class I "assisted" him with pulled right out of every hold he attempted to put the MP into. I didn't have that problem. :rolleyes:

That JJ guy wasn’t the dreaded Mr. “Stun-gun” was it?

I am currently teaching the CID (Central Investigation Division…..Army/DoD version of the FBI).
A great bunch of guys and even a few ladies.
They have admitted that what they learned at their schools for the specific job was just enough to get their butts kicked.
Monday we had a 2 hour training session (0530~0730….what a way to wake up) and we worked on several things. Much of the time was spent showing them why a lot of what they had learned was actually counter productive and could get them in a world of hurt. Certain ways they did armbars and locks specifically.

And yes Yiliquan1 there was a lot of “dentist drill” kind of pain…..wouldn't be a class without that...…speaking of which……when are you going to come over?

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by RyuShiKan
That JJ guy wasn’t the dreaded Mr. “Stun-gun” was it?

I must admit, yes it is the individual of whom you speak... :rolleyes: Did I ever show you the pics? I should email you what I have...

I am currently teaching the CID (Central Investigation Division…..Army/DoD version of the FBI).
A great bunch of guys and even a few ladies.
They have admitted that what they learned at their schools for the specific job was just enough to get their butts kicked.
Monday we had a 2 hour training session (0530~0730….what a way to wake up) and we worked on several things. Much of the time was spent showing them why a lot of what they had learned was actually counter productive and could get them in a world of hurt.
Armbars and locks specifically.

Cool! I didn't know you had gotten that gig. How is the regular class working out? Email me and get me up to speed with things "back home."

Gambarimasu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions