running and shin toughening

M

muayThaiPerson

does running toughen the shins. i was thinking of it last night and just saw it on the lanna muay thai website..

have anyone heard of this?

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i suppose it conditions them to a certain degree...but nothing drastic. running improperly with the wrong shoes will still give you some mean shin splints...

i used to get shin splints like crazy, now i don't....it may be that i run with better form, it may be because i have better shoes now for my rough terrain around here, or it may be that the shins are more conditioned for it.

OP
T

TkdWarrior

not from my point of view...
i used to condition shin with bag n some hard sticks...n other different way...
-TkdWarrior-

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

i used to get shin splints on hard surfaces, i read grass is the best surface for running

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you just build the muscle in the lower leg by how the foot bends is all.

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by muayThaiPerson
i used to get shin splints on hard surfaces, i read grass is the best surface for running

Causes of Shin splints

• Tightness in the posterior muscles, which propel the body forward, places additional strain on the muscles in the front part of the lower leg, which work to lift the foot upward and also prepare the foot to strike the running surface.
• Hard surface running, or worn or improper shoes increases the stress on the anterior leg muscles. Softer surfaces and shoe cushioning materials absorb more shock and less is transferred to the shins.
• The lower leg muscles suffer a tremendous amount of stress when a runner lands only on the balls of the feet (toe running), without the normal heel contact.
• The muscles of the foot and leg overwork in an attempt to stabilize the pronated foot and the repeated stress can cause the muscles to tear where they attach to the tibia.
• Rapid increase of speed or distance.

Short Term Treatment

• Ice immediately after running, never before.
• Aspirin or ibuprofen, never acetomenophen, to reduce inflammation and relieve pain.
• Reduce mileage and intensity for 7 to 10 days; never run through pain.
• Avoid hills and hard running surfaces.
• A varus wedge to support the inside of the foot and reduce the amount of pronation.
• Gentle stretching of the posterior leg and thigh muscles.

Self-enforced treatment of shin splints, as with most overuse injuries, is successful in most cases.

OP
I

islandtime

Originally posted by muayThaiPerson
does running toughen the shins. i was thinking of it last night and just saw it on the lanna muay thai website..

have anyone heard of this?
.............................................................................................
Running up hills combined with good stretching or cycling up hills will develop those muscles.
Toughen them?

Gene Gabel

OP
H

Humble artist

Most certainly any exercise (outside of swimming) promotes bone mass growth and therefore strengthens it (as long as it involves resistance)
And here we do have running which involves a lot of leg use...
It is probably healthier for your legs (shins) than less necessary specific shin conditioning.
Just my opinion.

Let´s point out that shins are seen as vital points in MA.

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

"out of swimming"...hmmm. wat do u mean by that?swimming is an exercise also. please elaborate

OP
M

Mon Mon

I heard that rubbing a stick of Bamboo on your shins many many times a day will condition them and i have seen people who do this kick through a base ball bat with their shins i think it makes them numb or something.

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

im sorry but that technique is stupid. no offense to you.....everyone has the potential to break wood by kicking it, but they dont because of pain. rubbing your shins to kill the nerves is a very high risk technique. it will cause long term problems. when we talk about shin toughening, it really means shin touhgening.

i have a friend who does shotokan karate and he rubbed his shins with one of those dough flatting rolling items. lemme tell you that he is scared for like. we spared a few times, and when i block his kicks, i can feel his shins arent tough at all. but when i sparred with my instructors(they have "real" tough shins), i can feel the hardness through my shinpad. so no one use the pinroll method

OP
H

Humble artist

""out of swimming"...hmmm. wat do u mean by that?swimming is an exercise also. please elaborate"

Sure.
True,it is an exercise.
But studies have shown that compared to various other sports (and generally) it does very little in terms of bone strengthening.
This is because of the lack of resistance,generally speaking.
This could be a reason why it is seen to be good for overweight ppl since it also stresses connective tissues fairly little.
But of course,these are another issues then.
Very good exercises would include weightlifting,and martial arts (if practiced intensively)

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

what do u mean resistance? water is 33 times that of air.