Run away from no-mask people

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm supposed to be in Pismo Beach, CA right now. In the following clip, you can see many people walk on the street without mask. On the street, I just don't know how to deal with that many people without mask.

in the uk your sort of obliged to know where you are
in the states they put up signs in 9 foot letters

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just borrow someone's comment in another forum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People on here joke about covid anxiety, but my wife works in a hospital and people are still dying. In fact, I have several docs in the family, and they are all watching people get sick, die, or be left with lasting ill effects. It's just not worth it.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
coz its California
That's where I belong.

California-hippie.jpg

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
I ab-so-lu-te-ly don't care if someone does not wear a mask.

I work in a rather large company in Hamburg in Germany and I commute with the train. I haven't had any single day of remote working since outbreak of covid 19. I haven't been infected or at least haven't had any symptoms.

I completely trust my immune system.

I understand that some people are very afraid of that virus but I absolutely do not share their fear.

For clarity purpose: I wear a mask when I have to. Otherwise I don't.

Same here - My company (i have two jobs) sent all "non essential" employees home to work remotely. I am essential so I still had to come in, since the beginning. There are A LOT of "essentials" and we work in close proximity every day.

We take precautions (masks required if within 6', wipe down surfaces, etc) but have had a few "positives". Most were back to work in a short period of time saying they never really felt bad enough to call in (under pre covid conditions).

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I ab-so-lu-te-ly don't care if someone does not wear a mask.
It's good to be young. When we were young, we thought we were all supermen.

17 years ago, I went to Taipei, Taiwan during 2003 when SARS was in Taiwan. I walked on the Taipei street and could not see anybody. I went to a movie. There were only 2 other persons besides myself. I didn't know what happened there and I had no mask on. When I came back from Taiwan, I then realized there was a SARS in Taiwan. My manager was very nervous and worried I might brought SARS back into US.

Today when I look back, it's truly amazing that back in Taipei, Taiwan 2003, I could not see anybody on the most crowed movie theatre distract in Taipei (similar to the 5th Avenue in NYC). Those people in Taiwan did know how to protect themselves.

Here is how Xi Men Ding, Taipei, Taiwan looks like today. Back in 2003 SARS times, the entire street was empty. I don't believe this can happen in any city in US.

xi-men-ding.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 39746

i dont however know anyone or know of anyone known to someone i know who has died of covid, that as far as my limited data can go, shows not having covid is more dangerous

I have 2 for that one, for them going on death certificates.

I just need to reiterate for clarity thread wise, not everywhere has mandated you ave to wear it 24/7, most have only mandated it for indoor public areas and when you obviously arent eating etc. The only option is going to be just stay home/avoid contact at all until its over.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A good friend of mine lost both his otherwise healthy parents to Covid in one week.
A friend of mine lost her son.
I've lost a few other people I know.

But I shall refrain from sharing my opinion about people who don't wear masks because I don't want to be banned from our forum.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
its a personal responsibility issue, its up to you to keep away from people, not theirs to keep away from you.
From a personal safety perspective yes. But from a society perspective no. For example, it's your responsibility to stay away from me if I'm swinging swords around in public as I walk through the store. But from a public safety perspective. I shouldn't be swinging my swords like that because it presents a danger to the general public.

Public safety will always win over, Personal desires, which is what a mask really is. When people say that wearing a masks takes away their freedom, then simply ask what freedom does it take away? It takes a way a desire, but not a freedom. If you don't want to wear a mask, then don't be around other people. That way your desire doesn't become a public safety issue. If I want to walk around swinging my swords in public, then I shouldn't do it around other people in public.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A good friend of mine lost both his otherwise healthy parents to Covid in one week.
A friend of mine lost her son.
I've lost a few other people I know.

But I shall refrain from sharing my opinion about people who don't wear masks because I don't want to be banned from our forum.
That's sad. I bet you do have choice words.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would keep going. If its that bad previous advise of stay home/just go short distances.

Also, mask exemptions exist and even if they dont offically exist people will still claim medical exemption from it. Plenty of people dont around me/dont keep distance. Still really funny how they dont respect your space MORE after explicitly being told to respect it.

Addendum: and i am pretty sure you only have to wear them inside for most places?
To your addendum - it shouldn't be about "have to". It's such an easy thing for anyone to do, unless they have really severe asthma or emphezema or such (in which case, they should be protecting themselves in every way they possibly can, as they are at very high risk). And while outdoors is usually less dangerous for transmission (air currents break up the "clouds" of virus people leave in the air, so there's no high concentration), that's only true in relatively sparsely populated areas. If 40 people are hanging around together outside, that has the potential to overcome that advantage (unless there's a strong wind).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll wave and smile, and they'll see my smile because I am outside and I am not wearing a mask, either.

CDC Study Finds Vast Majority of Those Infected with COVID-19 ‘Always’ Wore Masks - Daily Citizen
That's not at all what that study found. It wasn't even what that study examined. The completely misrepresented statistic is that roughly 85% of the subjects who tested postiive were mask wearers. Rougly 88% of those who tested negative were mask wearers.

But the science has long been clear that there's minimal (if any) self-protection from wearing a cloth mask. You wearing a mask is in case you are infected and don't know it (infected people are potentially infectious several days before they show significant symptoms), to reduce your chances of transmitting to the next person.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of false and misinformation about Covid-19 and there is still a lot unknown.
There is a lot that is known and it is now beginning to shown that even people who wear masks are testing positive with Covid-19 and the death rate is far less than what was originally expected. Yesterday some of Biden's staff (who wear masks) have been tested positive.

We need to be careful but not 'fearful'. Many now life in fear; the emotional distress aroused by an impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined). Covid-19 is real but I don't life in fear of it. I wear a mask where required but not when in the open and other's aren't around me. The experts have for several months been saying it is time in contact with others who are contagious with covid which makes getting the disease not just in passing.
The mask isn't primarily to protect the wearer. That folks with masks get COVID is not surprising. There's some evidence (and reasonable immunological models to explain it) that there's some small protection for the wearer with even cloth masks. But the real point is to prevent outward transmission. Like many diseases, an infected person has a period of time when they are infectious but not yet showing symptoms, so they are likely unaware of their infection. If they have a mask on, they reduce the chance of accidentally giving someone a potentially fatal disease. By just having a mask on, which really takes almost no effort.

And while passing a single person who is also moving about is unlikley to provide enough viral transmission, when you're somewhere where there are multiple people you're passing, statistics get involved. There will be instances where multiple infectious people are in the same relative area. If they aren't wearing masks, they leave a viral "cloud". With enough of them leaving some of that in the same area (as they pass through), there can be enough virus in the air for transmission. (As I understand it, we become "infected" when more virus enters our system than our system can deal with. Without a vaccine, for most of us that amount appears to be fairly small.)

As for the death rate being less than was expected....200,000 is more than enough for me. Just sayin.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You wearing a mask is in case you are infected and don't know it (infected people are potentially infectious several days before they show significant symptoms), to reduce your chances of transmitting to the next person.
Why this simple reason is so difficult for people to understand?

You put on mask to protect others. Will that make you feel good and be proud of yourself?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions