Rugby!

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
(Please only people who know what rugby is answer this question) At the beginning of the next year of school I will join my local rugby team so I wanted to know how my martial art ( Tae-kwon-do ITF) could help me in this field, perhaps a subtle poke to a pressure point before a throw could knock it off course? Thank you in advance for you'r advice.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TKD involves kicking. Rugby has elements of kicking to advance the ball at times(I think). Other than than I don't see a lot of use for TKD in Rugby.

On the other hand the contact in Rugby may be of help in TKD

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
TKD helps with endurance. We do thousands of kicks sometimes. One exercise we do is 1000 front kicks to belt level every ten minutes. It takes endurance to get to 6K. Also all the bouncing, jumping, leg strength workouts add to strong ligaments and muscles for twisting those knees, ankles and hips. Also makes the calves huge which as Marginal said can aid in sprints and quick turns. But...

But after saying that, if you want longevity in TKD, or even to go to black belt, I would stay away from rugby. Its way rougher than regular football from what I've read. (had to research it with my son). People usually quit TKD when they have football injuries to joints, trampoline injuries, horseback injuries to knees, hips and hamstrings. Right now I'm thinking of all my friends that dropped TKD because of these. Take care of your body, you only get one set of everything. TW

Dan G

Green Belt
Reaction score
Whitebelt said:
(Please only people who know what rugby is answer this question) At the beginning of the next year of school I will join my local rugby team so I wanted to know how my martial art ( Tae-kwon-do ITF) could help me in this field, perhaps a subtle poke to a pressure point before a throw could knock it off course? Thank you in advance for you'r advice.
Palm Heels when you have the ball, sneaky/dirty soft tissue strikes in the scum/ruck.

Dan

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dan G said:
Palm Heels when you have the ball, sneaky/dirty soft tissue strikes in the scum/ruck.

Dan
Shhh, you're giving away my secrets...

In all honesty, in my personal opinion, the only things that martial arts can bring to rugby are fitness and a willingness to hit and get hit, I played a lot of rugby when I was younger, and if I had the time would love to play again, but the two don't realy have much in common.
Best wishes and have fun playing.
Simon

Dan G

Green Belt
Reaction score
Simon Curran said:
Shhh, you're giving away my secrets...

In all honesty, in my personal opinion, the only things that martial arts can bring to rugby are fitness and a willingness to hit and get hit, I played a lot of rugby when I was younger, and if I had the time would love to play again, but the two don't realy have much in common.
Best wishes and have fun playing.
Simon
Sound advice. If you can make the top teams it is a fantastic sport. If, like I was, you are a mediocre player at B and C team level it is a brutal and inept sport with relatively few moments of skill - great fun and develops practical mob fight survival skills like nothing else. :D

Any time you decide you don't have a chance of getting a good glory run in and don't want to take a hit pass the ball quickly to a team mate, let him take the big hit for the team, and then pile in on top like a hero! :wink:
If your team mate does the same to you curl up into the foetal position, cover your head and hope your team mates pile in quick enough and stamp on you less than the other team. All useful lifeskills!:eek:

Remember, there is no "I" in "Team" but if you look really carefully you can find "Me"!:)

Enjoy!

Dan

(P.S. I was a really really bad rugby player!)

Dan G

Green Belt
Reaction score
Simon Curran said:
Oh yes, me too, but what one lacks in skill, one makes up for in willingness...:wink2:
:lol:

Did you have to play field hockey as well? Was shockingly bad at that! C team level we used to play as close to Hurling "rules" as possible when referee nodded off...
1 KO 1 TKO (goalkeeper forgot his "protection" :btg: )

Sticks are great! :uhyeah:

Dan

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dan G said:
:lol:

Did you have to play field hockey as well? Was shockingly bad at that! C team level we used to play as close to Hurling "rules" as possible when referee nodded off...
1 KO 1 TKO (goalkeeper forgot his "protection" :btg: )

Sticks are great! :uhyeah:

Dan
Oh yeah!!!
Somewhere or other I have a photo of a class mate with a perfectly formed hockey hook imprint in the middle of his forehead, there was nothing technical about it, just pure KO...

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just kind of day dreaming about playing rugby actually, and got to making a mental comparrison between it and soccer, in soccer a player is applauded by his own team mates for going to the ground screaming "foul" and attracting a penalisation for the other side.

In rugby a player would get jumped on by his team mates if he pulled the same stunt... Oh the joys of untethered agression...

Dan G

Green Belt
Reaction score
Simon Curran said:
Oh yeah!!!
Somewhere or other I have a photo of a class mate with a perfectly formed hockey hook imprint in the middle of his forehead, there was nothing technical about it, just pure KO...
Ouch!!!! Not technical at all!!!

KO's normally happened with the ball not the stick... normally when someone got caught daydreaming. Usually only ended in stick work after someone got hit a bit hard with the ball and lost their rag...

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dan G said:
Ouch!!!! Not technical at all!!!

KO's normally happened with the ball not the stick... normally when someone got caught daydreaming. Usually only ended in stick work after someone got hit a bit hard with the ball and lost their rag...
Yeah, I certainly remember a few pretty purple marks on my shins from that pesky ball...

T

Tremble

I took up MA when I had to quit Rugby due to knee injury.

In answer to the original question, I'd say you've got it the wrong way round.

There is little in any MA that is going to benefit you on a Rugby field other than very general things (I'll come back to that).
On the other hand, there is much in Rugby that is good for MA.

What other sport includes Grappling, Striking and Multiple attackers moving at full speed on unreliable terrain, and with opponents of unlimited size and malevolence?

There's grappling, there's clinchwork, there's sprinting for your life, teamwork, peripheral awareness.
You'll get hit hard, without body armour.
You'll try and deal with multiple attackers.
There are no rounds, no mats, no cages.
Once you've fish hooked, kidney punched, testicle squeezed, cleat raked, rib knee'd, head butted, hand offed, nipple bitten and generally battled your way through around 80 minutes of pumped adrenalin and CV work, you get to stand at the bar and down a few ales with the guys who just tried to kill you.

Getting back to MA in Rugby;
Guys/Gals who are into their MMA should go practice against Rugby players.
If you want to practice your 'shoot', then tackling a Rugby player running at you full tilt on a muddy pitch, is the best test you will find. period.

Small joint manipulation is something not many Rugby players know about.
Same goes for pressure points and general nasty MA things, but Rugby players have their own tricks, and MA people could learn a few things in a scrum, ruck or maul.

I'm looking forward to people poo pooing the above, as I have a particularly evil collection of pics from Rugby Matches. ;)

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tremble said:

There is little in any MA that is going to benefit you on a Rugby field other than very general things (I'll come back to that).

What other sport includes Grappling, Striking and Multiple attackers moving at full speed on unreliable terrain, and with opponents of unlimited size and malevolence?

There's grappling, there's clinchwork, there's sprinting for your life, teamwork, peripheral awareness.
Once you've fish hooked, kidney punched, testicle squeezed, cleat raked, rib knee'd, head butted, hand offed, nipple bitten and generally battled your way through around 80 minutes of pumped adrenalin and CV work, you get to stand at the bar and down a few ales with the guys who just tried to kill you.

If you want to practice your 'shoot', then tackling a Rugby player running at you full tilt on a muddy pitch, is the best test you will find. period.

Same goes for pressure points and general nasty MA things, but Rugby players have their own tricks, and MA people could learn a few things in a scrum, ruck or maul.

I'm looking forward to people poo pooing the above, as I have a particularly evil collection of pics from Rugby Matches. ;)
No poo pooing from me, we agree, rugby is the reason the gristle in my nose is detached from the bone...

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tremble said:

This is why rugby is the best game ever and your post stirred a certain amount of nostalgia in me:)

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tremble said:

Coming from the country that has the "All Blacks" and being a wicked rugby fan myself what you have said is exactly true!!!! Couldnt imagine though practising my MA with our big forwards though, I'd get pummelled!!!!!

T

Tremble

Raisin said:
Coming from the country that has the "All Blacks" and being a wicked rugby fan myself what you have said is exactly true!!!! Couldnt imagine though practising my MA with our big forwards though, I'd get pummelled!!!!!
LOL.
I can't think of a better pressure test than running down a pitch with the 'All Blacks' after me.
I'd be scearming "Muuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmy"

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tremble said:
LOL.
I can't think of a better pressure test than running down a pitch with the 'All Blacks' after me.
I'd be scearming "Muuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmy"
That definately is a scary thought!!!!!!!!!!!!