American Open Karate vs Kenpo??

OldManJim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Is American Open Karate (Robert Trias) the same thing as Kenpo? From my somewhat limited research they both seem to have similar backgrounds with Okinawan/Japanese and Chinese influences. It also seems like some of the forms I’ve read about in AOK are from Kenpo as well. What are differences if not.

Kenpo is a generic term much like the word karate. It does not refer to a single martial method. There are Okinawan and Japanese methods that use the term kenpo, as well as Hawaiian methods with Japanese origins and Chinese influence and a level of Americanization and blending with other infuences. Some of these methods are closely related and similar because they come from the same root, while others are not.

I don’t know anything about Mr. Trias’ art, but if it were to be contrasted with a kenpo method, the specific method would need to be identified.

Kenpo is a generic term much like the word karate. It does not refer to a single martial method. There are Okinawan and Japanese methods that use the term kenpo, as well as Hawaiian methods with Japanese origins and Chinese influence and a level of Americanization and blending with other infuences. Some of these methods are closely related and similar because they come from the same root, while others are not.

I don’t know anything about Mr. Trias’ art, but if it were to be contrasted with a kenpo method, the specific method would need to be identified.
So it isn’t a style?

Is American Open Karate (Robert Trias) the same thing as Kenpo?

Kenpo is a generic term much like the word karate
Technically this is true. Karate has been called Ryukyu Kem(n)po Jutsu (lit. Okinawan fist way science/technique) in the past, and I believe it is also used to refer to some Chinese styles as well.

But due to the use of this word by Ed Parker to name his popular style, kenpo is often taken to refer specifically to his style and its branches, at least in the US. When I hear simply "kenpo" by itself I think of Ed Parker's style.

To the best of my knowledge, Trias' and Parkers' styles are 2 different things.

Latest Discussions

Back