Rokas Responds on Wing Chun Challenge...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Dang, if people would just get their shots (the "jab" for you Brits) we could get out of this mess a whole lot faster!

Now I know there are plenty of places where vaccines are still not all that available, but in the more developed nations it shouldn't be that big a problem.

Here in the States, we've got plenty of vaccines. The only thing in short supply seems to be the number of brain cells! A sizable percentage of people are either against getting vaccinated or just oblivious to the need. It's like living in the movie Idiocracy! :rolleyes:
Shouldn't have to explain this but....there is literally no reason for most healthy people to get a vaccine shot. Also, people have been conditioned to get a shot in order to restore things "back to normal" (aka freedom). Wake up people.
If you want to get a shot, then go for it. If you don't...then don't.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
REMINDER TO ALL MEMBERS:

Let's keep the politics out of it. Politics are not a permitted topic, and making a topic political will get the thread locked quickly. If it continues after this reminder, warnings and/or points may follow.

-------
Gerry Seymour
MartialTalk Moderator

@gpseymour

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Shouldn't have to explain this but....there is literally no reason for most healthy people to get a vaccine shot. Also, people have been conditioned to get a shot in order to restore things "back to normal" (aka freedom). Wake up people.
No politics, just a personal perspective. Under normal circumstances, when talking about things like the seasonal flu, etc. I would agree. If you don't get vaccinated, It's your own problem, and your own decision. I'm big on personal freedom vs. "nanny state" thinking.

Under the current situation, it's also important to also consider our public responsibility. If we choose not to get vaccinated, we can carry and spread the virus to others who are not, and (at this point) cannot be vaccinated. That still includes children and people with certain medical conditions.

As a parent and school teacher, and having an immunocompromised family member, these are very real concerns (I've already lost family to COVID-19). Also as a martial artist and MA teacher, I'm keenly aware of the role vaccines can play in protecting our MA students.

Finally, growing up in a family of highly educated, medical professionals (my father and uncle both being top flight MD.s and surgeons) I have a keen awareness of the role of vaccines in this country's history, virtually eliminating deadly diseases like polio and smallpox in my lifetime. I also have little patience with medical ignorance, when it affects me, my family and my students. My own feeling is that others freedom of choice ends where my space begins.

Not politics. Just a strong, personal point of view about health and safety ....that is especially relevant to the practice of Martial Arts.

Others are entitled to their misguided ideas. I'm done this topic. ;)

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
REMINDER TO ALL MEMBERS:

Let's keep the politics out of it. Politics are not a permitted topic, and making a topic political will get the thread locked quickly. If it continues after this reminder, warnings and/or points may follow.

-------
Gerry Seymour
MartialTalk Moderator

@gpseymour
Gerry- You know me... Normally just a little bit goofy and maybe a bit of a wise-guy looking for a laugh! I really have no desire to bring up a rancorous "political" debate. Period.

However, health and safety in a martial arts school (as well as society at large) is a totally legit topic for this forum, especially if people can debate responsibly.

Heck, vaccination can just as legitimately be considered a matter of self-defense. Absolutely.

That said, I'm done. ...No really! ...I really mean it! ...This time, for sure!!! :p

Last edited:
OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
....That said, I'm done. ...No really! ...I really mean it! ...This time, for sure!!! :p
I see that WCKF92 disagreed with my previous post, just as I disagreed with his post. Ah ....so we "agree to disagree". That's agreeable. Now lets get back to the OP!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Besides the personal freedom, there is social responsibility.

- Will I wear face mask so the virus will have less chance to spread? I will.
- Will I take the shot so the virus will have less chance to spread? I will.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Besides the personal freedom, there is social responsibility.

- Will I wear face mask so the virus will have less chance to spread? I will.
- Will I take the shot so the virus will have less chance to spread? I will.
Congratulations

WonderingMonk

White Belt
Reaction score
My $.02 worth:

I believe that while foundational and important to practice, forms and drills don't actually teach you to fight anymore than learning chords, scales, and arpeggios teach you write music - that comes by actually doing and exploring how to apply it. If one isn't consistently pressure testing their skills, one isn't actually learning to fight and are really just lying to themselves. It isn't that WC is deficient, it's just frequently practiced ineffectively and this is a fair criticism that we all need to take to heart. Hard sparring isn't always fun but there really is no substitute.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Tell that to the last person who died from small pox, or the last kid who died from polio. I don't consider this to be political, but this is pernicious ignorance.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tell that to the last person who died from small pox, or the last kid who died from polio. I don't consider this to be political, but this is pernicious ignorance.
Pernicious! I like that word. One you don't hear too often.

Interestingly, some kids we grew up with lost their father to polio after the Salk and Sabin vaccines were discovered and were being administered. The first vaccines available went to children who were the most at risk. After his kids were vaccinated, this man got polio and died while waiting until there was enough vaccine for adults too. He wasn't an anti-vaxxer, just unlucky ...and his three kids grew up without a father.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My wife's sister, her husband, and her children in Louisiana just got COVID 3 days ago because they didn't have vaccine shot.

Last year, at least people had masks on. Today, people don't have mask on.

Last edited:

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
...still wondering why @gpseymour hasnt locked this thread like he said he would...

Does it matter? You got to speak your mind.

I'm kinda curious why you would claim that there is "no reason for most healthy people to get a vaccine shot". Can you explain that? Do you have a background in medicine?

FWIW, the experts universally recommend vaccination - NOT simply as a means to 'get back to normal', but as a way of saving people's lives.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My wife's sister, her husband, and her children in Louisiana just got COVID 3 days ago because they didn't have vaccine shot.

Last year, at least people had masks on. Today, people don't have mask on.
I hope that they don't suffer severe symptoms and get well soon. Making what some of us may think is a poor decision regarding getting vaccinated is no reason to wish ill on anyone.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does it matter? You got to speak your mind.

I'm kinda curious why you would claim that there is "no reason for most healthy people to get a vaccine shot". Can you explain that? Do you have a background in medicine?

FWIW, the experts universally recommend vaccination - NOT simply as a means to 'get back to normal', but as a way of saving people's lives.
Honestly, for some, it's a personal freedom issue. They don't like being pushed around by an overbearing government that they don't particularly trust. Surprisingly, I kinda get that.

On the other hand, I try to go with the best info available. So I got vaccinated last spring at the earliest opportunity. And I don't mind wearing a mask when I have to ...like traveling on a plane.

Actually, I just got back from a trip to Seattle. We were packed in like sardines and every single seat on the flights, both ways, was full. I was kinda glad everybody had to wear masks... with or without COVID. Think of all the other stuff in the air ...flu, colds, ...body odor... Need I elaborate? :oops:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Honestly, for some, it's a personal freedom issue. They don't like being pushed around by an overbearing government that they don't particularly trust. Surprisingly, I kinda get that.

On the other hand, I try to go with the best info available. So I got vaccinated last spring at the earliest opportunity. And I don't mind wearing a mask when I have to ...like traveling on a plane.

Actually, I just got back from a trip to Seattle. We were packed in like sardines and every single seat on the flights, both ways, was full. I was kinda glad everybody had to wear masks... with or without COVID. Think of all the other stuff in the air ...flu, colds, ...body odor... Need I elaborate? :oops:
Let's be real, though. The people who believe it's a freedom issue do so because they have been told it's a freedom issue. They are being manipulated. If they had been told getting the vaccine is civic duty by the people who lead them around, they would be getting vaccines in droves.

If someone who has had the vaccine is telling you not to get it, they probably don't have your best interests in mind. Just consider for a moment that all the fox news folks, and OANN people, and congressmen, even the cuckoo ones, have all been vaccinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions