Roberto Duran's in-fighting - technique breakdown

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. That was neat. I am going to be hitting those over/underhooks more.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
El hijo de la Repubilca de Panama
(The son of the Panamanian Republic)

Manos de piedra
(Hands of stone)

I love Roberto Duran. Thanks for posting this.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was a huge Duran guy. I remember when he took his first title from Buchanan. I do have some mixed feelings about him as a fan, though.

A lot of his fights were fantastic. But his fight with Iran Barkley was one of the greatest, most exciting fights I've ever seen.

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is an old video of Roberto Duran demonstrating his ring techniques in the UK:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Video sounds like many of the conversations that KFW has brought up about not bringing the punching hand back.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm putting this in the general martial arts section rather than in the western boxing section because I think some of the principles are applicable to anyone who wants to do close-range striking.

The day I did the same to my MMA sparring partner was the day that Grappling was no longer just grappling. lol. I was getting outworked and my arms were tired so I punched him in his side and it caught him off guard enough to make a sound come out of him lol. Now when we get into the clinch, I have to watch out for upper cuts and everything else. lol.

This is still grappling for the most part as we only throw strikes while in the clinch versus only grappling. No jabs, or long range striking.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Leonard, Duran, Hearns, Benitez! Amazing era for boxing!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Poor Roberto.

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Roberto Duran is an awesome study for defending and attacking on the inside - he controls the situations by playing a chess-match with concussive results. It is worth remembering professional boxers drill and practise these techniques all the time. For them a boxing-gym is like the office space of a regular 9-5 worker. In order to embody these kind of strategies and techniques it is important you drill them over and over again, day-after-day, week-after-week, year-after-year ;)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We used to call it "fighting in the kitchen." It was my favorite place to box, too. Difficult when your opponent was much heavier, though.
Have you ever tried to let your opponent to attack you, but you are not allowed to move your feet? It's a good "earth strategy" training with lot of fun.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Have you ever tried to let your opponent to attack you, but you are not allowed to move your feet? It's a good "earth strategy" training with lot of fun.
Yes. We did just about every fighting drill we ever saw. And yes, they were always a lot of fun. Get hit a lot, though. :)

Latest Discussions