Lomachenko Technique breakdown

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I put this in the general martial arts forum rather than the boxing sub-forum because I think the ideas here are applicable to a lot of different arts. Lomachenko just does a better job of executing them under pressure than most of us will ever manage.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting pivots! Also interesting the way he throws 'jabs' (if you can call them that) from low to high while stepping in and then immediately back out again.

I don't follow boxing, so I never heard of this guy, but that's pretty interesting if not completely unique. Thanks!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
sprawling off the shoulder is pretty cool.

I off step a lot. But there is a few things he does with that that I dont do. Leaving the hand out is pretty tricky.

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That's good strategy.

I know I talked to folks about using jabs to blind your opponent so you can come in with other things, but to make it the central pillar of your attacking strategy is something I didn't really think about. Using the drops-steps to work around their centerline at different angles is also really interesting.

Thanks for sharing this. I'm at the chew on this for a while.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow! Haven't watched him since the Olympics, a couple ago. He was always quick, but that doesn't even resemble the same fighter. Thanks for posting that, he 's going to be fun to watch.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow! Haven't watched him since the Olympics, a couple ago. He was always quick, but that doesn't even resemble the same fighter. Thanks for posting that, he 's going to be fun to watch.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A smart fighter having fun. I love (t)his tricks. And breakdowns. Thanks. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can't stop watching that clip. Wow.

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't follow boxing that much, so I hadn't heard of Lomachenko before running across this, so I had to look up one of his fights on YouTube. Very impressive.

One thing I noted was that he didn't get fully going on the Matrix- like footwork until the later rounds. He spent the earlier rounds getting a feel for his opponent and wearing him down so he could pull off the really impressive stuff towards the end of the fight.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Somebody sent me this today. Pretty cool, I'll bet it's difficult.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A friend at the gym was doing that the other week and I gave it a try. It is extremely difficult.

I never saw that before, looked pretty interesting. And, yeah, that's got to be really difficult.
I liked when he bounced it off his head.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think he's fighting this weekend. Think the fight is on ESPN.