RIP: Andrew Breitbart dies of 'natural causes'

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I've waited a bit to add my tuppence to this as, not to my surprise, emotions have run high for someone who earned his crust by making peoples emotions run high.

The fellow entertained me with the broadcasts that he made. Probably not for the reasons he would've wanted but he still made me smile and laugh out loud. Even if he hadn't made me laugh, I wouldn't vilify him now for it would serve no purpose to recount just why it was he was so wrong about so many things and dis-unified and mislead the people of the country he professed to love. The hardest person in the world to argue with is a dead man.

Some other media figure will step into the vacuum and continue to warp, misrepresent and over-simplify the reality of America's future; of that I have no doubt. But will he (or she) make me laugh at the sheer self-knowing falsehood and deception of it all?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, I've waited a bit to add my tuppence to this as, not to my surprise, emotions have run high for someone who earned his crust by making peoples emotions run high.

The fellow entertained me with the broadcasts that he made. Probably not for the reasons he would've wanted but he still made me smile and laugh out loud. Even if he hadn't made me laugh, I wouldn't vilify him now for it would serve no purpose to recount just why it was he was so wrong about so many things and dis-unified and mislead the people of the country he professed to love. The hardest person in the world to argue with is a dead man.

Some other media figure will step into the vacuum and continue to warp, misrepresent and over-simplify the reality of America's future; of that I have no doubt. But will he (or she) make me laugh at the sheer self-knowing falsehood and deception of it all?
I agree with your appraisal Mark.

And then you know Mark from your reading and listening that those who espouse the views of Andrew Breitbart have been led by the way in which Breitbart distributed those views into a certain hatred (and I do not think that is too strong a word for it) of certain other sections of society. It is exactly because of this hatred that counter-hatred from those left-thinking groups and interests has frenzied up into something I think is quite horrible since Andrew Breitbart passed away.

Yet who ultimately is to blame for this vilification?

You are well aware Mark that there are those here in the UK who preach hatred and intolerance on grounds of both religious and ethnic differences. Do they deserve to be hated back by those about whom they are preaching hatred? Well that is a decision for the individual. We can decide to hate back or not to hate back. It is more difficult to not hate back since those preaching the hatred almost "deserve it" I think. Still there is always a choice in how to react.

All I am saying is that it is possible to put our differing points of view in a way that is not fuelled by negative motivations such as hatred and detestation and instead put across our differing views in a positive way with thoughtful persuasion that change is desirable and that that change can come about through cooperation rather than beating those that hold the other viewpoint over the head with a big stick of sanctimoniousness. Having done this then were we to die suddenly our opponents would perhaps be less inclined to want to spit on our hot ashes. I do not know if this makes sense what I am saying?

This forum and others like it are microcosmic versions of that behaviour. And you know if my views get more and more entrenched and less and less pragmatic then I am dumb if I imagine your views will not adjust in accordance as we both defend our points of view with no regard for any outcome besides winning. And that is made so much worse if my initial gambit is based upon my hatred of your viewpoint and maybe by implication you as holder of that viewpoint.

I think this is maybe the reason for such an unpleasant backlash against Andrew Brietbart after he has just passed?

People do not want to soften their position any more? Why is this??

We are all ultimately after the same happiness and yet sometimes it seems we forego our common goals preferring instead to polarise ourselves and squander our time squabbling over what is less important?

*sigh* Anyway, I will get back in my suitcase.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
More thoughts on Breitbart...

http://www.parcbench.com/2012/03/02/winning-the-culture-war-the-legacy-of-andrew-breitbart/

Years later, I stumbled upon Big Hollywood, shortly after its inception. The concept of a film-based blog dedicated to fighting the leftist pop-culture narrative that had long since infected Hollywood was fascinating to me. Finally there was a community of fans and industry insiders speaking their minds, as opposed to keeping their opinions to themselves, for fear of blacklisting by the Hollywood hive mind. Names like Adam Baldwin, Bob Gale, Robert Davi, and Jon Voight were chiming in with their two-cents, along with critics like MTV’s Kurt Loder and the great John Nolte, who serves as editor-in-chief of the site. The fact that Breitbart was a lover of the cinema of John Waters sealed the deal.

Even though I never got the chance to meet or thank him, he inexplicably felt like a friend. Maybe it was his daily trolling of goons on Twitter, but I’ll wager it was the way he touched and influenced me politically and culturally. I would complain about the predictably vile response to Breitbart’s passing by his enemies, but sharing such petty hate is something he reveled in, and I’m sure he continues to do so in death. Let us not forget the grace shown by those who disagreed with him during his lifetime.
God bless you, Andrew Breitbart. I never knew you personally, but I miss you like a brother.

And from Stephen Weber, actor...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steven-weber/my-friend-andrew-breitbar_b_1314384.html

Maybe the takeaway, politically speaking, from the sudden death of my friend Andrew Breitbart is that once again we are all reminded how brief our time is on this planet, how precious our relationships are, the importance of our gestures and how frightening life -- and loss can be.
Andrew was a badass, defiant and audacious. For those who supported his views, he provided the physically imposing presence to literally go face-to-face with the forces and personalities he and others perceived as being villainous; to his detractors, it was this same brazenness that shocked and enraged them.
In the end, and despite the controversies that trailed virtually all of his political activity, he probably did more good to bring certain issues to the fore than the more traditionally polite discourse did -- a plus for those on either side of the argument.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A piece from American Thinker...

http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/03/andrew_breitbart_and_liberal_america.html
However, while conservatives were mourning the loss of someone who had undoubtedly dedicated his life to contributing to the betterment of society -- and our country in particular -- liberals spent Thursday morning climbing all over each other to reach new depths of revulsion through tweets and blogs of celebration. The complete lack of humility, respect for Breitbart's family at a time of tremendous loss, and simple sense of decency displayed by the left once again confirms that all too many liberals are a lost cause of morally bankrupt losers.

Breitbart stated:

And so the mainstream media standard of holding the Tea Party under a magnifying glass I am holding to the Occupy Wall Street and what we're finding is behavior that goes far beyond anything that anybody could have imagined. This is Woodstock on violent and crazy steroids.

Brietbart's passing has caused me to once again wonder how in the world it is that this country continues to produce liberal individuals who exhibit no moral grounding and who believe that the government, public-sector unions, and entitlement programs should grow exponentially while [COLOR=#009900 !important]American[/COLOR] citizens should quietly watch from the sidelines, waiting for the next dictate telling them how much money they can make, what food they can ingest, and what [COLOR=#009900 !important]cars[/COLOR] they can drive. However, perhaps the question should not be "how are liberals created?" since we know that academia has been hijacked by liberals. Perhaps the question to ponder is, how it is that some people escape what seems to be the almost inevitable indoctrination that occurs through the teenage years of idealism, hope, and invincibility into adulthood?

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This story is why Andrew Breitbart was so important to the culture wars here in the states.

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/d...ion-okay-for-obama-gop-must-abandon-limbaugh/

On February 24, news broke that television show host Bill Maher pledged one-million dollars in support of the re-election of Barack Obama. While noting that the pledge makes Maher one of Obama’s largest dollar supporters, the story also notes Maher’s “disdain” for Republican politicians.
Bill Maher Pledges $1 Million to Obama-Backing Super PAC
The donation makes Maher one of the largest single donors to the Priorities USA Action PAC, behind Dreamworks CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg, who contributed $2.1 million, ABC News reported. The PAC raised $4.1 million in 2011.
It’s no surprise that he pledged money to Obama’s reelection cause. The HBO host has never hidden his agenda or concealed his disdain for the current GOP frontrunners. (Maher signed his $1 million dollar check with the words “kicking ***.”)
It’s both well known and extremely well documented that, in the not so distant past, Maher’s disdain has manifested itself in his name calling directed at former Alaska Governor and 2008 Republican Vice Presidential nominee, Sarah Palin.

Less than a year ago, in March of 2011, Maher called Palin a “dumb tw*t,” as reported here by the Daily Caller. On March 29, 2011, the Caller also reported that Maher called Palin the “C-word.”
The facts above suggest that, as it is acting only now, when it involves a conservative and the GOP, the Post’s seemingly lofty call for civility in discourse– as well as a voice in who politicians, or political parties may align with — is subject to the charge of being driven by an egregious double standard, if not political ideology.
We call on the Washington Post’s editors to note these facts and elaborate on why it is only acting now and only with respect to a right-leaning perceived offender. To not do so will leave many with the clear impression that the editorial board of the Washington Post is little more than an extension of the Left and the Democrat Party.

Andrew Breitbart's Bighollywood site as well as his other sites brought to light the bias that was in the media and how it was shaping American culture. Here you have a story of a main stream news organization going after Rush limbaugh for using the term Slut in regards to a 30 year old law student. And in the article above, you have a democrat supporter of obama giving 1 million dollars to obama's campaign, who called Sarah Palin all those really, really ugly words. And he said them from the heart. And did this main stream media organization say anything, anything about obama's campaign accepting that 1 million dollars from this guy. Nope. Will they give it back, I really, really hope so.

Outside of Andrew Breitbarts site, did anyone else make the connection between the hypocrisy of this news organization or the other hypocrites who failed to call obama on accepting a million dollars from this guy, after he used those really, really ugly words.

That is why Andrew Breitbart was a happy warrior, the liberal media always made his job too easy.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't stand Bill Maher. This guy is so vulgar. I watched this guy a few times to try and get a different prospective. This what ever, is so full of crap, I don't know why anybody would sit through his show.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wached his show when it was called politically incorrect back when it was on ABC(?). It didn't take long to realize that 3 liberal guests, plus bill maher vs. the one conservative guest didn't make for much of a show. Your right about the vulgarity as well. Since he went to cable he is even worse.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, since people are tired of actors talking about Andrew Breitbart, how about a musician...John Ondrasik, from "Five for fighting,"...

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/j...breitbart-how-do-we-replace-the-irreplacable/

Andrew had the back of those who, worried about a backlash to their livelihood. He was the bodyguard, the kid who stood up to the bullies. He was the bouncer you couldn’t elbow out of the doorway.
His best friend was his childhood pal and business partner, Larry. For many of us, though, Andrew was our best friend. If we didn’t have a brother, he filled that void. If we needed a mentor, he fit the bill. If we desired a third child, there was Andrew. For all of his incredible energy and gifts, it was, at times, like caring for a wild-eyed teenager with no sense of time and space. We didn’t mind taking him in, in fact, we arm-wrestled for the chance.
Many of us, including Andrew, live and lived for our nation’s military. I’ve often asked young American soldiers how they deal with the death of a buddy in combat. How do you keep going, do your job, continue to live and push forward? The answers are all profound and different. I will never have the courage of our nation’s bravest, but for the first time in my life, I have a sense of that empty foxhole. That notion, that though the fight is right, a chunk of me is gone — never to be filled.
There are great stories floating around about Andrew, and I have them too. I’m just too sad to lay them out.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am sorry that the man is dead. I don't think we should be celebrating anyone's death. However, Brietbart was not a real journalist and he did not do what he did for the benefit of this country. He was at best a yellow journalist. Pretending he was anything else is just continuing his tendencies, not for good of country, but rather so your side "wins." The truth should be more important than olitical affiliation and "winning" is meaningless if everything is in ashes.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wasn't one of those-in fact, I don't know anyone who blasted him for twittering and then engaged in the same behavior.

Please don't misunderstand. I never considered you to be a hypocrite.

Latest Discussions