RingStar Shoes

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The post about being kicked in the head for the first time made me wonder--how many of you have used these? Do you like them?

My personal experience with them is that they are extremely comfy to spar in--they don't slip like a lot of kinds of foot gear, and are more protective of the kicker's feet. However, they are rather unpleasant to be kicked with--I took a back kick to the chin from someone wearing them and wound up with a very impressive bruise (and saw stars, too.)

If you haven't seen these, here's a link:

http://www.macho.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=10000083&prodid=WWWRS

Moebius

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For what its worth...

I have never tried them, but they don't look to have much padding for protection of either the kicker or the kickee (is that a word?).

I have not seen any sparing gear foot gear that would protect much with a back kick. Most of the gear I have used did not have padding on the soles of the feet.

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't wear shoes for my classes. When I used to train in KF, we did and being kicked with shoes was one thing I did not care much for. So I tried not to be kicked. Doesn't mean I wasn't kicked plenty! We wore wrestling shoes.

Only $23? Gotta love that price! I can wear them next time I visit Tattooine.

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I dont know about those that you have the link for, but I have the SuperMaxx and I LOVE THEM!! One of our other students has them, and she loves them too! The only drawback that she has with them, is that they are hard for her to move around. Other than that, she loves them.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yea, those shoes are alright.

But as for my personal fav's

They are:

http://www.disciplinefootwear.com/

The Discipline would probably be best for sparring, when kicked with them the impact is relatively low. So you'll be able to save your body longer for more intense sparring sessions, win-win situation.

http://www.flywit.com/htm/d/486/35850.html

These are the Puma running shoes, even though they are running shoes they are very comfy. They have reinforced padding around the base of the sole and the tip of the shoe. So they wont fall apart when kicking or practicing footwork unlike the adidas TKD shoes I bought. Long story.

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I liked the shoes so much I became a distributor and now give them out as part of my students starter kit.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I liked the shoes so much I became a distributor and now give them out as part of my students starter kit.

That's a great idea! Actually if you don't mind could you give a little detail as to what a student starter kit should consist of?

I'm trying to compare idea's, in the near future I would like to do something similar.

So for instance would the starter kit contain tuition time, with uniform, sparring gear? Or which components would you recommend to keep in or let go of?

Thanks,

l8rgator

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to martial arts, and just moved from a barefoot dojang to a dojo where everyone wears shoes (mostly wrestling shoes). The mat is jigsaw type.

I'm wondering a few things about these Ringmaster SuperMAXX shoes and hoping some have had experience with this. These may be stupid questions, so I apologize...

Are these shoes meant just for sparring (like kicks are), or are they comfortable and breathable for all class activities? Do you think lower cut martial arts shoes would be a better fit for most class activities?

Do they go up high on your ankle (regular tennis shoes that rub and bruise my ankle bone annoy the hell out of me)?

Are they pretty tight, or do you think an arch support would fit in the bottom with a foot? Or do you think a bottom lining be removed and replaced with an arch support pad? Would ordering a size bigger help? I pretty much need to wear arch support pads in all my shoes to prevent foot pain.

Do you think an arch support would alternatively fit in regular martial arts shoes - or are those a pretty tight fit?

Do the shoes "stick" too much to the mat to get a nice foot rotation?

Can you wash these?

Any other suggestions for footwear? I have a pair of old wrestling shoes and I find that style to be very comfortable, but I've outgrown this pair.

Thanks!!!

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I really want to try a few different brands of shoes to train in myself.. but am unsure of what direction I want to go... I would love to find something that have a bottom that is similar to the average shoes people wear, and a nicely padded top, back, and sides to be used in sparring, and all that combined with some high end technology that would make it so they do not destroy the carpets in our studio.... lol

oh and btw I have never seen any form of padding that would have protected your chin from a back kick.....

OP
S

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to martial arts, and just moved from a barefoot dojang to a dojo where everyone wears shoes (mostly wrestling shoes). The mat is jigsaw type.

I'm wondering a few things about these Ringmaster SuperMAXX shoes and hoping some have had experience with this. These may be stupid questions, so I apologize...

Are these shoes meant just for sparring (like kicks are), or are they comfortable and breathable for all class activities? Do you think lower cut martial arts shoes would be a better fit for most class activities?

Do they go up high on your ankle (regular tennis shoes that rub and bruise my ankle bone annoy the hell out of me)?

Are they pretty tight, or do you think an arch support would fit in the bottom with a foot? Or do you think a bottom lining be removed and replaced with an arch support pad? Would ordering a size bigger help? I pretty much need to wear arch support pads in all my shoes to prevent foot pain.

Do you think an arch support would alternatively fit in regular martial arts shoes - or are those a pretty tight fit?

Do the shoes "stick" too much to the mat to get a nice foot rotation?

Can you wash these?

Any other suggestions for footwear? I have a pair of old wrestling shoes and I find that style to be very comfortable, but I've outgrown this pair.

Thanks!!!

They are supposed to be good for sparring and kata/techniques, but I find they aren't flexible enough for me for kata. YMMV.

They don't go high up on the ankle.

I don't know about the arch supports, sorry; I have to have the least possible arch in any shoe, or my flat feet start cramping.

They don't stick to mats, and they can't be washed (they're leather).

I've stopped using them, myself; I have determined that I'm faster in regular kicks.

I'd try several types of shoes if I were you before deciding on one.

Latest Discussions