Rigorous flexibility training

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

It's been quite a few years since I have done any martial arts of any kind and in recent weeks I have refund my love for TKD.
The problem is, my flexibility is terrible. I would say I am very good at it, as a sport but my flexibility is so restricted compared to what it used to be.

My question is, do you think if I was to warm up and stretch rigorously 3 times a day, would it beneficial for me or would I just be better stretching everything I plan to train ?

Many thanks,

Bobby

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well how did you get your flexibility good thr first time round

OP
bobster_ice

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well how did you get your flexibility good thr first time round
It took a couple of years but I wasn't consistent, I just figured maybe I can stretch 3 times a day and try and quickly get flexible but I don't know if I'll injure myself or not doing so.
Thanks, I skimmed through. Seems pretty good

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It took a couple of years but I wasn't consistent, I just figured maybe I can stretch 3 times a day and try and quickly get flexible but I don't know if I'll injure myself or not doing so.
Thanks, I skimmed through. Seems pretty good
There's no quick way to do anything well even stretching 3 times a day will probably take a good 2 or 3 to see any noticeable difference

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

It's been quite a few years since I have done any martial arts of any kind and in recent weeks I have refund my love for TKD.
The problem is, my flexibility is terrible. I would say I am very good at it, as a sport but my flexibility is so restricted compared to what it used to be.

My question is, do you think if I was to warm up and stretch rigorously 3 times a day, would it beneficial for me or would I just be better stretching everything I plan to train ?

Many thanks,

Bobby
Only tip — if your muscles strain in any degree, don't stretch. I would say four times a week is enough.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warm up well before stretching. If you have the time available to do a rigorous warmup and stretch three times a day, then go for it.
Stretching cold muscles will not help much.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
FWIW I think different people's bodys will respond differently. Listen to what your body tells you vis a vis soreness. My best regimen was to do some warmups befpre bed and then stretch 6 days a week, Soreness in the morning told me there was some result. I don't think most will benefit from 3 sessions vs one good session. Like basic weigtlifing theory your muscles need time to recoup and a few hours is not enough. I don't think it's different that most strength or conditioning issues. Runners don't run long distance more than once a day. Weightlifters don't train the same muscles more than once a day. There is also a danger of njury from stretching and fatiguing muscles and then using them to workout.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
First, I think your title tells a bad way to stretch. I would say persistent, not rigorous. Rigorous implies to me over stretching. If that wasn't what you meant, sorry.

When I began studying Hapkido, we stretched first, then warmed up with kicks. I can't argue with those who say to warm up first, but some of our kicks required a lot of stretch. I always tried to go a little further every time. I spent a lot of time in pain. But my stretch did improve a lot. YMMV, in fact probably will. Follow the advice above that fits you best, experiment a bit. Master Weiss is I think, right on target. I think it is good advice.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, I think your title tells a bad way to stretch. I would say persistent, not rigorous. Rigorous implies to me over stretching. If that wasn't what you meant, sorry.

When I began studying Hapkido, we stretched first, then warmed up with kicks. I can't argue with those who say to warm up first, but some of our kicks required a lot of stretch. I always tried to go a little further every time. I spent a lot of time in pain. But my stretch did improve a lot. YMMV, in fact probably will. Follow the advice above that fits you best, experiment a bit. Master Weiss is I think, right on target. I think it is good advice.
Stretching before warming up actually tends to cause muscles to tighten up.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stretching before warming up actually tends to cause muscles to tighten up.

I know that is the theory for most people. I never heard anyone complain about stretching first when I studied Hapkido. But we had a lot of stretches and then went to kicks.

When in the military and required to run I never warmed up or stretched. I never had a problem with tight muscles. I guess I am just the odd man out.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that is the theory for most people. I never heard anyone complain about stretching first when I studied Hapkido. But we had a lot of stretches and then went to kicks.

When in the military and required to run I never warmed up or stretched. I never had a problem with tight muscles. I guess I am just the odd man out.
Just because you didn't notice the effect doesn't mean it's not there. When I started martial arts, it seems pretty much nobody knew that effect (nor in soccer).

As for running, there's reasonable evidence that stretching before running has minimal benefit for the casual runner (it does seem to provide some performance benefits, which are more notable with competitive athletes), and the real benefit comes from a post-run stretch. You may not have needed either as much as the average person. Someone has to be the one to offset me in the average, and I'm tighter than average around the hips and hamstrings, so maybe you got the natural flexibility I didn't.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just because you didn't notice the effect doesn't mean it's not there. When I started martial arts, it seems pretty much nobody knew that effect (nor in soccer).

As for running, there's reasonable evidence that stretching before running has minimal benefit for the casual runner (it does seem to provide some performance benefits, which are more notable with competitive athletes), and the real benefit comes from a post-run stretch. You may not have needed either as much as the average person. Someone has to be the one to offset me in the average, and I'm tighter than average around the hips and hamstrings, so maybe you got the natural flexibility I didn't.

I did say I was the odd man out in this, and I didn't deny it helps many. For those it helps, they should by all means continue to do it.