flexibility issues

sadantkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am looking for some help with regaining and hopefully increasing my flexibility. The first thing I need to make known is that I have some sort of problem with my pelvis. I don't remember which side is higher than the other, but anyway the results are that even as a child, I could never sit with my legs crossed. It hurts terribly.
In taekwondo, I'm a 4th degree black belt, and never got the kind of flexibility I wanted. I could kick fine, actually, very well with my right leg, and could get plenty of height with both legs, but I just couldn't get my left leg to follow the right path in hook, roundhouse or side kicks.
I've been out of training for 10 years now, and am starting to train again. I've read a lot about "Elastic Steel," and it seems promising. Does anybody in here have any experience with it, or know any other exercises I can do to try and fix this problem.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I worked at my flexibility a lot when I was in my teens. It became very good until I dislocated my hip one day while stretching. 20+ years later, I have decent flexibility, but it's always been a struggle. I've always just kept working on it. I'd just reccomend you keep working on it. I've never seen a "magic pill" that worked for anyone.

Welcome to MT, BTW. You should stop by the "Meet & Greet" area & introduce yourself.

OP
S

sadantkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'm not looking for a magic pill, as much as advice. I've found that a lot of what I learned over 20 years ago with regards to flexibility was not too well informed. Things that never caused a problem when I was younger and malliable (sp?) really led to a lot of problems as I got older.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you have issues with your hip being uneven, I highly doubt 'Elastic steel' is gonna do much for you. Not having looked into seems like yoga to me, a good way to stretch but does it need a new name?

keep at it. As the Great Bruce Lee said one time, work with your limitations, not against them. Nobody is exactly symetrical and everybody has a weaker side. Adjust your workout to it, not meaning to only work your stronger side, but accept that the other side just does work different.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'm not looking for a magic pill, as much as advice. I've found that a lot of what I learned over 20 years ago with regards to flexibility was not too well informed. Things that never caused a problem when I was younger and malliable (sp?) really led to a lot of problems as I got older.

I didn't mean to flipant or disrespectful in my comments. I can well appreciate your difficulty. My goal was to encourage to stick with it even though its hard. I would need to see what you're talking about in order to give specific help. A yoga instructor or a chiropractor might be able to give to the specfic guidance you're looking for.

All my best!

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am looking for some help with regaining and hopefully increasing my flexibility. The first thing I need to make known is that I have some sort of problem with my pelvis. I don't remember which side is higher than the other, but anyway the results are that even as a child, I could never sit with my legs crossed. It hurts terribly.
In taekwondo, I'm a 4th degree black belt, and never got the kind of flexibility I wanted. I could kick fine, actually, very well with my right leg, and could get plenty of height with both legs, but I just couldn't get my left leg to follow the right path in hook, roundhouse or side kicks.
I've been out of training for 10 years now, and am starting to train again. I've read a lot about "Elastic Steel," and it seems promising. Does anybody in here have any experience with it, or know any other exercises I can do to try and fix this problem.

Do a search about "PNF" stretching on the web. Here's a start;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PNF_stretching

OP
S

sadantkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I didn't mean to flipant or disrespectful in my comments. I can well appreciate your difficulty. My goal was to encourage to stick with it even though its hard. I would need to see what you're talking about in order to give specific help. A yoga instructor or a chiropractor might be able to give to the specfic guidance you're looking for.

All my best!
Thanks. Actually, I did get some exercises from a chiropractor a long time ago, but I was so busy training for competitions, and then teaching I really didn't do them regularly. Now, I don't remember them anymore, and I was hoping not to have to spend tons of money on chiropractic again.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
It might be money well-spent though. If things are this out of whack for you now...imagine 10 ro 15 years from now. Better to set things straight (no pun intended) now when you are more mature and focused on proper, long-term results.

Peace,
Erik

Babook

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I personally like elasticsteel methods, but that's me. Everyone is different.
Zaichik has many free videos on youtube. Maybe you will find what you need in those videos.
I like these three videos of his.

If you want more see his youtube channel.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
S

sadantkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks. I've watched a lot of the videos and it seems good. I really think I'm gonna try the program.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to piggyback on this and see if I can't improve my stretching as well. I've never been able to do a head high side kick, and I would love to be able to do that someday. At 47, it's probably now or never!

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Did you injure your left leg? I did and its never been the same.

Latest Discussions