Right arm inside block

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And yet, I have done just exactly that many times.

At my school we typically do one-steps against a lunge punch. But my Master will also have people throw combinations at us. I don't usually grab the first punch, but I'll be able to move back and block a few until I can get my timing and catch one.

What I've found helps is not trying to grab the wrist, but rather trap it on the recoil. Grabbing the wrist itself is hard. Blocking the arm, closing the grip as they recoil until the hand catches is a lot easier. And if they pull their arm away, then they've opened up their guard a bit.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You basically can't grab a wrist in a fight.
When you punch and if your opponent blocks, it's easier to slide your arm along his arm, and grab on his wrist.

When your opponent is on guard, it's also easier to grab his wrist to open his guard.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suppose an old goat, but that's not a slang term used much these days.

Anyone can grab a wrist in a fight. It might not be easy, but it can be done.

Not really at a certain level. If they are staying compact with their striking and backing strikes up with strikes you are going to have a bad day catching strikes. (You see this with knife defense where people can't even grab a rubber knife well.

You instead have to cut off a bunch of other options until you are dealing with a wrist that isn't moving as fast or as dangerously.

This block overwrap idea is pretty ambitious.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I assumed Bear was implying you cannot grab with boxing gloves on.

No I was more thinking of punches at speed.

I can grab punches with boxing gloves on. But there is a lot of back of house that goes in to that.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I can grab punches with boxing gloves on. But there is a lot of back of house that goes in to that.

Care to explain how you manage that? Especially when it's so hard to grab punches without?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not really at a certain level. If they are staying compact with their striking and backing strikes up with strikes you are going to have a bad day catching strikes. (You see this with knife defense where people can't even grab a rubber knife well.

You instead have to cut off a bunch of other options until you are dealing with a wrist that isn't moving as fast or as dangerously.

This block overwrap idea is pretty ambitious.

That's where footwork and a guard come into play. Good parries are very efficient, and if you can chase your opponent after a parry you can wrap up his shoulder. The shoulder isn't moving nearly as fast as the wrist.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's where footwork and a guard come into play. Good parries are very efficient, and if you can chase your opponent after a parry you can wrap up his shoulder. The shoulder isn't moving nearly as fast as the wrist.

Which isn't catching the wrist. It is doing a bunch of other stuff first.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Care to explain how you manage that? Especially when it's so hard to grab punches without?

It is a gag called the fly trap. And you can only really do it on guys who are not very dangerous.

You then wait until they are throwing predictable feeder jabs. Parry the jab which saves your head but also snare the glove to your body with both hands.

Because their glove is bulky it gets locked in there for a second. They can't pull it back out.

Then you yell "fly trap" and punch them In the face with a straight right.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Which isn't catching the wrist. It is doing a bunch of other stuff first.

No. That is catching the wrist. That other stuff is stuff you do to make catching the wrist work. People just don't say all of that in every post because it would waste too much damn time.

When I'm teaching a roundhouse kick, I'll usually spend just 10 seconds explaining it to my class. Sometimes we go more in depth, but it takes 10 seconds for me to describe the basic motion. If I wanted to get more detail into the proper mechanics, I could cover it in around 30 seconds to a minute. Ginger Ninja Trickster (my favorite kicking tutorials on youtube) has a 9 minute video on the kick, and his videos are fairly concise (he doesn't ramble on). However, in that video, he barely scratches the surface of what you can do with a roundhouse kick. That's just the basic kick, without much in the way of footwork, combinations, or including fancier versions like jumping kicks and turning kicks (which are very common in TKD). I could easily do an entire class just on roundhouse kicks and not even come close to imparting all of my knowledge on the kick and how it's done.

There's no way in every discussion on a roundhouse kick, that I'm going to be able to say everything there is to know about it. If I were to go into a dissertation on everything I know about the roundhouse kick in every thread where it's mentioned (just so someone as crazy as you will trust that I know what I'm talking about), it would take me hours to write every post, I'd probably find the word limit on the site, and nobody would bother reading it because 99.9999% of the post would be off-topic to the discussion.

People don't include everything they know about a technique when they talk about it. To think that just because something was omitted from the text, that it means the person doesn't know it, is one of the biggest leaps of logic I've ever seen you make. That "bunch of other stuff" is part of the technique. We just don't say all that other stuff every time, because most people are capable of understanding that.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is a gag called the fly trap. And you can only really do it on guys who are not very dangerous.

You then wait until they are throwing predictable feeder jabs. Parry the jab which saves your head but also snare the glove to your body with both hands.

Because their glove is bulky it gets locked in there for a second. They can't pull it back out.

Then you yell "fly trap" and punch them In the face with a straight right.

They don't throw a right cross or hook while both of your hands are busy trapping their hand?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They don't throw a right cross or hook while both of your hands are busy trapping their hand?

Not as often as you would think. But you do have to watch for it.

If I get caught I throw a heel hooking kick in to their leg. But fly trapping is a thing here so I am more used to it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No. That is catching the wrist. That other stuff is stuff you do to make catching the wrist work. People just don't say all of that in every post because it would waste too much damn time.

No this is catching the wrist.

"What I've found helps is not trying to grab the wrist, but rather trap it on the recoil. Grabbing the wrist itself is hard. Blocking the arm, closing the grip as they recoil until the hand catches is a lot easier. And if they pull their arm away, then they've opened up their guard a bit."

Which is then nothing like securing under or overhooks first.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are the GOAT.

sorry mortal non dirty dog people can't grab a wrist in a fight.
Reading your previous post, I marked "agree", because I assumed by "other stuff first", you meant the stuff that makes it possible to grab a wrist. There's almost always something that has to happen to make a wrist available, unless they're being a gumby (which sometimes they are) and make it easy to grab. But that wrist can be grabbed in a scuffle. Not so easy on a skilled boxer/striker, though.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've never gotten the idea of grabbing punches at speed. That's not what's supposed to be happening in any of the techniques I know.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Reading your previous post, I marked "agree", because I assumed by "other stuff first", you meant the stuff that makes it possible to grab a wrist. There's almost always something that has to happen to make a wrist available, unless they're being a gumby (which sometimes they are) and make it easy to grab. But that wrist can be grabbed in a scuffle. Not so easy on a skilled boxer/striker, though.

Yeah in a scuffle is different to blocking and catching which I think kung fu Wang was trying to do with the overwrap.

It is one of those things that seem like it could work if you are drilling one overhand and that's it.

But to pull it off in reality or even sparring when everything can come at you is harder than pulling off the fly trap to be honest.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've never gotten the idea of grabbing punches at speed. That's not what's supposed to be happening in any of the techniques I know.

Generally I was taught to tap the arm multiple times and the second or third tap would be a grab. And then you sort of run up the arm hitting them in the head.

Or an inside block overwrap the arm figure 4 choke hold.

And it looks awesome and works well in choreography. And maybe you could do it as a gag for Someone who isn't very good.

But for serious fighting buisness. No way.

Happens a bit in knife defense.

Latest Discussions