Ricardo Montalban

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ricardo Montalban dies at 88

By BOB THOMAS, Associated Press Writer Wed Jan 14, 1:23 PM PST
http://tv.yahoo.com/fantasy-island/...l:tv.ap.org:20090114:obit_montalban__ER:77030
Ricardo Montalban, the Mexican-born actor who became a star in splashy MGM musicals and later as the wish-fulfilling Mr. Roarke in TV's "Fantasy Island," died Wednesday morning at his home, a city councilman said. He was 88.
Montalban's death was announced at a meeting of the city council by president Eric Garcetti, who represents the district where the actor lived. Garcetti did not give a cause of death.
"The Ricardo Montalban Theatre in my Council District -- where the next generations of performers participate in plays, musicals, and concerts -- stands as a fitting tribute to this consummate performer," Garcetti said later in a written statement.
<snip> In a 1978 interview, he analyzed the series' success:"What is appealing is the idea of attaining the unattainable and learning from it. Once you obtain a fantasy it becomes a reality, and that reality is not as exciting as your fantasy. Through the fantasies you learn to appreciate your own realities."

I remember him best as Khan Noonien Singh and as Armando the Circus Owner in two of the Planet Of The Apes sequels.
A fine actor and he'll be well remembered.
RIP Khan.

:asian:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The beauty of an icon is that it can live on beyond the passing of it's creator.

For every Star Trek fan the world over, Khan is an enduring memory and so Mr. Montalban endures in us.

I am saddened nontheless for, despite the 'evilness' of the role of Khan, he, Ricardo, always struck me as a man with a certain joi de vive and that is to be treasured.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember him best as Khan Noonien Singh and as Armando the Circus Owner in two of the Planet Of The Apes sequels.
A fine actor and he'll be well remembered.
RIP Khan.

I remember him first as Armando then Khan.

With respect to him and his family and fans.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the things about Kahn -- and it's a sign of Montalban's skill and talent as an actor -- was that he wasn't "evil." In "Space Seed", you could see a natural leader, seeking to rise to his proper place. In Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn, you could see a man driven to a kind of insanity by rage and loss. It was wholly believable; Kahn was someone you almost wanted to know.

Montalban will be missed...

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ricardo will be missed. I remember him as a young man playing a GI in the movie "Battleground", the most accurate movie about the Battle of the Bulge compared to my Dad's first hand memories. I remember him as Armando in one of the Planet of the Apes movies and Mr Roarke in "Fantasy Island" of course, and very memorably as Khan. He played a meglomaniac genetically superior dictator in a way that made you almost like him, in a noble, almost knight like way.

Before all this he was Mexico's number one leading man until the Mexican film industry imploded. He went on to Hollywood and worked in a lot of movies. He will be remembered, a man with a lot of class.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hope he is resting in a bed of "Rich Corinthian Leather."

Latest Discussions