Starting Up a Dojo

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Where can I get info on starting my own school? I have a ways to go yet, so, while I am on my way, I thought I start doing some research. Any help is appreciative.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First look at the way your teachers school is set up.
run a search here on school ownership i know we have had many threads on running schools and the problem encountered

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Brother John said:
small businesses for dummies

no kidding...

Your Brother
John
I have read some of that book for a different purpose...easy to understand...for what that's worth.

S

sifu Adams

I would recomend going to as many schools as you could and watch the way the teach, how the approch you, talk to on the phone, how the school is laid out, and take notes on what you inpresses you and what depresses you. If you have time this would be a great way to learn. I would also recommend going to as many begginers classes as possable under your instructor. I sat through 50-100 white belt classes before I started my school.

I would also look at buisness side of it. do a search on fitness leaseing and look for a Inovative Leasing. they can hook you up with equipment on a lease plan. this will save on having to get a loan from a bank. I put in a cheerleading floor. its a 2 1/4 inch foam padding with carpet on top. they work will for padding and if you are in the right area you can do as i did and rent it to area cheerleaders. I get about $200 to $300 a week renting them out. that pays for the mats. Just a Idea.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
masherdong said:
Where can I get info on starting my own school? I have a ways to go yet, so, while I am on my way, I thought I start doing some research. Any help is appreciative.

If you are not doing so already, see if you can teach some private lessons. You will learn quite a bit about teaching by doing this.

Best of luck in your endeavors!

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
See if you can teach classes in the school you can attend. If you instructor will help yo to learn to teach his students, that could be very helpful in learning how to deal with and instruct students in a safe way

Don't neglect the business side; it's all supply and demand and marketing. Doesn't do you any good if you want to teach but there is a) no demand for your art or b) too much supply of your art in the arear already, unless you simply want to teach and don'tcare aboutlosing money

you can do as i did and rent it to area cheerleaders

Too early in the morning and the coffee hasn't kicked in...I thought you were talking about renting cheerleaders...

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A great book is How To Open and Operate a Successful Martial Arts School by John Graden. he has some phenominal ideas. Another great book was the old Tracy's Business Manual, Al Tracy had some very practical approaches to running and setting up a school.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Just some additional thoughts? Running a martial school is a business first. You are working for yourself, but in the real world you will be working for your students. Your hours must be on time and always open on days schedule, make sure when sick someone can fill in.

Parents and students will look up to you to be a role model to follow....CAN YOU BE ONE!!!

Read "How to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carniege

Teaching is a great experience and can be fun......but one must be honest and fair with one self and with others

Your outside life will be look at too......be GOOD

Just my thoughts................DO IT NOW! ...open a school! .......Aloha

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you want to earn a living from this, or just pay the rent on a school while having a regular job?

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you want to earn a living from this, or just pay the rent on a school while having a regular job?

I would love to do it as a living, but for now it would be like an extra hobby with incentive.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Have you looked into start up expenses yet?

1. Insurance
2. First and last months rent
3. utility start ups
4. Equipment

There is a book about starting your own dojo that you might want to search into on amazon. I wish I could remember the name but cannot. I skimmed through that and it had some insite.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
A great book is How To Open and Operate a Successful Martial Arts School by John Graden.

Interesting. I have a friend that might find it informative.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
masherdong said:
I would love to do it as a living, but for now it would be like an extra hobby with incentive.

You can probably do this with a low profile and low expenses, but it would be a good idea to get some business guidance. There are a couple of books out there regarding running specifically a martial arts school. One has been mentioned, and I know of another one but cant remember the title or author. do some research and make sure you don't mess around with the tax implications. avoid these kind of problems like the plague. better to be up front with this and avoid trouble, then dig yourself out of a hole.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
masherdong said:

You may want to talk to your instructor and see if he/she can offer you some suggestions. It may be possible for you to set up a 2nd school, under your instructor. That way, you'll still have some guidance until you're able to go out on your own. Of course, make sure you understand the business end of things. Start off looking for a small place. Better to start off small and be able to pay the bills, than start with a huge place and end up having to shut down.

Good luck!!!

Mike

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As MJS stated, it's better to start small, and expand as you see fit.

Remember, the building that you are going to be using is just that; a building. The "real" part of the dojo will be you, and the people in the organization. If you find that your current building is getting small, then you can always expand, or find a larger place.

You can always check out various lower cost places, such as the local schools, churches, your local YMCA / YWCA buildings, various dance studios or yoga clubs (since they might not be using the building every day), etc. Also, speak with the folks at the local elementary schools, and see if they might be interested in letting you set up a program there. The kids are a vital aspect to one's dojo.

As Sifu Adams stated, he's willing to share the rent with other organizations. You could be on the flip side of the coin with someone else in your area. Ask around, scout out various buildings, and so forth. You might find someone willing to share the rent with you.

Once you've built up enough of a consistent (and I emphasize consistent) core of people, and can maintain a decent sized group, then you can look at relocating elsewhere if your current building starts getting small.

Getting the building is just one step, of course; you have to have a decent idea of business operations, budget plannings, insurance, and all of the stuff that everyone else has already mentioned. If your current teacher has already given you the knowledge of the operations and workings of a dojo, then that's a good step.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
You can always check out various lower cost places, such as the local schools, churches, your local YMCA / YWCA buildings, various dance studios or yoga clubs (since they might not be using the building every day), etc. Also, speak with the folks at the local elementary schools, and see if they might be interested in letting you set up a program there. The kids are a vital aspect to one's dojo.

Thats an excellent point! Im sure a place like the Y or a church would be very receptive towards giving kids an activity after-school.

I've never done any research there, but Id be willing to bet that it would be fairly inexpensive compared to actually owning your own place.

Mike

Latest Discussions