Resources for Beginners

Shinjuku Kid

White Belt
Reaction score
Recommend a helicopter perspective first.

Kodo - Ancient Ways Kensho Furuya
Zen Way to the Martial Arts
My Judo - Masahiko Kimura (google it; it's online)
Aikido in Japan and The Way Less Traveled (fun read; will fire you up re training plus the best history on BJJ I've ever read and about MMA, etc. 600 plus footnotes in the thing)

Davebrown321

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey folks - I just turned 50 and have thought about starting some martial arts training. I've always thought it would be fun and a nice change of pace from just lifting. I'm tempted to just sign up at my gym or at a local MA club I drive by all the time just to start and see what happens.

Is 50 a bit difficult to start? Who will I end up sparring with? A bunch of 20 year old guys (and girls) ... potential disaster there I think ... LOL

Seriously, how do most gyms handle this disparity in age and ability? Is one martial art better than another given my age and skill level?

Thanks ....

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a student who started in her mid-60's. She's 71 now (I think...) and I expect she'll get her 1st Dan in a couple more years.
If a school can't handle students of all ages and skill levels, then they're not much of a school. Check out schools in your area and see what you think of them. Many schools offer a free "try it" class, so ask about those.

jedwards

White Belt
Reaction score
I am a new person, but kind of a dabbler. If it strikes my fancy, I try it. Anyway, I had bought this DVD called Nunchaku Basics that I really really love. It's perfect for the beginner, straightforward, easy to follow and informative. I really would recommend it to anyone wanting something meditative as well as cool to look at. You can find the DVD here: Nunchaku Basics - A Beginners Guide.

spinningfist

White Belt
Reaction score
Resources for Beginners

We all have to start somewhere, but "where" is often a challenge we all face. To help you, we have assembled a short list of starting points for you to review.

At the top is our own Martial Talk Reference Library. Containing a large number of links to "Frequently Asked Questions" pages, as well as health and fitness resources, it is an excellent starting point for research.

Additional Sites:
Martial Arts: Which One? CNN Oct 2001

So You Wanna Study Martial Arts

So you wanna do Martial Arts Huh by Andy Murray

Martial Arts Info

A Beginners Perspective....The Grading By Melanie Box

History of the Black Belt By Bob Hubbard

A Brief Look At Japanese Sword Arts [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]By Bob Hubbard [/font]

Martial Arts for the disabled through my eyes By Andrew Melrose
The Purpose of Kata by Andrew Green

Google: martial arts activities unlimited - it's a GREAT PDF download - tons of class ideas and activities.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
well beginners truly need guidance so here you can check the benefits of learning martial arts. Martial arts Karate in Rochdale for Kids ladies and family
That page has so much going on, I can barely navigate through it. I know nothing about the art or school, but if I were looking for a new place to train, I would give up before finding out anything about the art. I'm going to second Tez's advice about a website that shows the school, bio's of the instructors, and just less of a "marketing" feel in general.

maryf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i just recommended it as one of my relative is learning martial arts from there otherwise you are right, there are so many resources to learn it :oops:

MyImmortal

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I am interested in starting training soon, have not registered as yet but did speak with someone at the institute. The hours and times are quite flexible, so I am prolonging the actual classes until I feel physically prepared. But, what does that entails exactly.....

Presently, I do some walking, dancing work-out routines with some yoga training. I read on a website that the following should be implemented before actual training starts; 'Before coming here, students must prepare by eating a good diet and taking road distance training at least 2km daily. It's also wise to do sit ups, stamina training, skipping, swimming, ping pongs and pushups.' Anymore advice for beginners' physical preparation would be helpful. I already have a good healthy diet.
Thank you in advance.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello,

I am interested in starting training soon, have not registered as yet but did speak with someone at the institute. The hours and times are quite flexible, so I am prolonging the actual classes until I feel physically prepared. But, what does that entails exactly.....

Presently, I do some walking, dancing work-out routines with some yoga training. I read on a website that the following should be implemented before actual training starts; 'Before coming here, students must prepare by eating a good diet and taking road distance training at least 2km daily. It's also wise to do sit ups, stamina training, skipping, swimming, ping pongs and pushups.' Anymore advice for beginners' physical preparation would be helpful. I already have a good healthy diet.
Thank you in advance.
I put off starting training training for two years only to find when I did get round to starting I was amongst the fittest there and so had missed out on 18 months of training.

id say go for a taster , if your a long way off the level required, then work on it. If your there or there about then just improve as you go

Tral1963

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for your tips guys, i found this coummnunity very nice and helpfull!

cserna

White Belt
Reaction score
stances and footwork are fundamental to any martial arts.

visit

Carlos Serna

for footwork basics tutorials.

Thanks!

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
stances and footwork are fundamental to any martial arts.

visit

Carlos Serna

for footwork basics tutorials.

Thanks!

work on your footwork Carlos Serna

For a beginner doing any online tutorials on footwork and stances is a bad idea.

Stances and footwork may form the basis of a lot of arts, but the specifics can vary wildly between arts - so someone could spend ages working through tutorials only to find out it's all totally unsuitable for the art they eventually choose and have to unlearn it all before they can really start.

Mapuana

White Belt
Reaction score
It is really hard to find Escrima classes. I started using this system at the beginning of the pandemic. It is great if you want to train at home due to COVID, or if you have a hard time finding classes in your area.

SensoBjj

White Belt
Reaction score
Resources for Beginners

We all have to start somewhere, but "where" is often a challenge we all face. To help you, we have assembled a short list of starting points for you to review.

At the top is our own Martial Talk Reference Library. Containing a large number of links to "Frequently Asked Questions" pages, as well as health and fitness resources, it is an excellent starting point for research.

Additional Sites:
Martial Arts: Which One? CNN Oct 2001

So You Wanna Study Martial Arts

So you wanna do Martial Arts Huh by Andy Murray

Martial Arts Info

A Beginners Perspective....The Grading By Melanie Box

History of the Black Belt By Bob Hubbard

A Brief Look At Japanese Sword Arts [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]By Bob Hubbard [/font]

Martial Arts for the disabled through my eyes By Andrew Melrose
The Purpose of Kata by Andrew Green
Thankyou for sharing with us.

SensoBjj

White Belt
Reaction score
guys thanks for sharing this information. this is very helpful.

Latest Discussions