Report: U.S. 'preparing the battlefield' in Iran

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
oh yes, the oil

notice we havnt started taking it yet.

tellner posted a couple months back that the us forces actually get charged MORE than the natives do for gas in Iraq.

No.

We are not there for the oil.

Deep down inside? i wish we WERE taking their oil. Call it payback for ousting Saddam.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
actually, I think it is about the oil. Ever since these wars started, and everytime someone notices a burka at Ohare, or a camel in the desert has a dry crap, the panic starts, and I notice the numbers at my local gas watering hole climbing. Iraq starts reporting it's stabilizing, so what hits the news next? Afghanistan is burning and Iran is smoking. And oil goes higher.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bob,
are you saying that the government is manipulating the prices or that the news agencies are manipulating the prices?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes. Yeah, I know it sounds conspiracy-nut like, but, the government rattles it's sabers, the "news" reports it, and sticks the good stuff on page 47, and the speculators wet themselves in panic buying of a product they only have to risk 5% on.

The oil producers
- state repeatedly that there is enough oil on the market to meet current demand
- state that increased production will only be a few cents difference at the pump

The oil companies
- want to drill in environmentally protected areas, despite being decades away from maxing out current allowed areas
- have said they can't pump US oil until it's $100+/barrel
- Have failed to invest significantly in improved refining capacity
- Make money on exploration more so than supply

The car companies
- continue to produce low efficiency vehicles despite being able to produce higher efficiency at low cost.
- Are suddenly in panic "discovery" mode

Oil prices rise because of
- war
- environmental problems
- threat of war
- political unrest
- demand
- threat of political unrest
- mechanical difficulties (refinery fires, breakdowns, etc)
- weak US $
- Panic buying and uncontroled speculation

The Government
- created the uncontroled speculation by not regulating it.
- Is engaged in 2 wars, and is threatening a 3rd this year.
- Has done little to correct Oil concerns

The News
- Fuels panic by giving more attention to bad news than good
- Ignores news that would calm the panic.

I've got more, just running out of steam here...long day.

The bottom line is, the News focuses on the Iran situation, which fuels panic buying, which drives oil up, while ignoring news of higher efficiency vehicles or other "positive" things which would calm the situation and decrease speculation. People speculate that oil will be $200 in Sept, so they buy now at $150 to be ahead of the curve.

Follow?

Now, is this all a coordinated thing, or just a bunch of random events that make me pay more for my pizza? I dunno.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oil prices rise because of
- war
- environmental problems
- threat of war
- political unrest
- demand
- threat of political unrest
- mechanical difficulties (refinery fires, breakdowns, etc)
- weak US $
- Panic buying and uncontroled speculation
Don't forget hysteria induced by environmentalists who, 40 years ago predicted doom by way of over population (The Population Bomb) 30 years ago predicted doom by way of impending Ice Age, 10 years ago predicted doom by global warming, and NOW predict doom by Climate Change, a catch all term that is really meaningless(but, protects them from criticism of Global warming when reports that give lie to their pontifications come out saying there is no warming, and hasn't been for a few years) considering the climate has ALWAYS changed, that also manages to come off looking foolish because the media and many prominent "environmentally conscious" celebs talk the talk and use resources beyond what any 50 of the rest of us could combined
The Government
- created the uncontroled speculation by not regulating it.
- Is engaged in 2 wars, and is threatening a 3rd this year.
- Has done little to correct Oil concerns
- Mandates a plethora of different distillations of gasoline, causing higher costs, which cause (Ta Da!) higher prices.
- has not allowed a new refinery to be built in decades, creating a bottleneck and (TaDa!) higher prices
- Mandate that everyone buys only governmentally mandated formulations of gasoline, thus creating shortages of the ingredients.
- Make sure that each area of the country has it’s own mandated formulation, which will strain the already over-strained existing refining infrastructure, thus raising prices.
- Create even further price increases by ensuring that each area of the country moves to seasonal blends, which will create even more havoc on the refiners, thus raising prices even further.
The News
- Fuels panic by giving more attention to bad news than good
- Ignores news that would calm the panic.
In some cases intentionally distorts facts, ignores facts, outright creates "facts" that are later proved false, etc
I've got more, just running out of steam here...long day.

The bottom line is, the News focuses on the Iran situation, which fuels panic buying, which drives oil up, while ignoring news of higher efficiency vehicles or other "positive" things which would calm the situation and decrease speculation. People speculate that oil will be $200 in Sept, so they buy now at $150 to be ahead of the curve.

Follow?

Now, is this all a coordinated thing, or just a bunch of random events that make me pay more for my pizza? I dunno.
The good news (well for me) the price of pizza here has not increased... ;)

Logan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Recently I have been wondering if Bush, McCain (et al's) constant confusing of Iraq with Iran in media interviews is a slip-up or deliberate means of associating one with the other.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, a good portion of the US population believes that Iraq was directly behind 9/11 based in part on early "information" so, I'd say it's deliberate.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, a good portion of the US population believes that Iraq was directly behind 9/11 based in part on early "information" so, I'd say it's deliberate.
Sadly, a fair portion thinks Elvis is alive, aliens (from space) have visited, etc...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It'd be interesting to see some comparative statistics on these 'beliefs'.

When it comes to those which touch on topics that we might consider to be more 'real', it'd be even more interesting if we could see if people were actually believing conflicting things.

Sadly, surveys these days are seldom worth the non-existent paper they're presented on. They're not formulated properly, not conducted properly and the results are therefore unreliable.

Statistics should be gathered in as neutral a method as possible with no 'leading' or 'directing' of answers by either the order or phrasing of the questions. The urge to create a survey with "Yes/No" type answers or a limited scale of variability is very strong as it makes results easy to compile but it also degrades the information content.

For example, if someone asked me a binary question like:

"Do you think that the West is heading for open war with the East?"

I would have to answer "Yes" because, given what I see at present, that seems a more likely outcome than otherwise. But that simple "Yes" leaves out all of my reasoning, background or attitudes and practically becomes a data-point devoid of information.

Follow up questions such as "Do you think war is avoidable?" {Yes} or "Do you think the East is provoking the situation?" {No} would bring answers that might seem to increase the information but are actually constructing a pattern of responses to build the picture desired by the questioner. From those three fantasy questions above, it would be easy to paint a conclusion along the lines of "Our survey found that war with the East was not inevitable and could be avoided if the West ceased it's provocative actions".

What I'm aiming at with all this blather is that I'd like to see some statistical analysis of the current 'belief pie' but we have to be careful of how those statistics have been gathered.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sadly, a fair portion thinks Elvis is alive, aliens (from space) have visited, etc...
And that there are Sasquatches roaming around in your back yard.

Here's something a friend sent to me... among other things which I'll post later... There's even a phone number to call for verification for those inclined.
Here in south central Utah we just had the LARGEST inland oil discovery in 30 years. Estimated at 11 Billion barrels. of the HIGHEST grade crude. There are currently 14 oil wells on 6 platforms located in Sigurd (8 miles from Richfield, UT) pumping 500 barrels per day. There are 3 refineries in North Salt Lake City where most of the oil is going.
I have FIRST HAND knowledge of this because I was hired as a real estate consultant by an oil company out of Louisiana 4 years ago to check out possible minerals rights owned locally. They wanted to lease oil and mineral rights in this area because of the possilibilty of an oil discovery based on the information from Floyd Moulton and University of Utah geology department. Since we own 66 acres in the Sevier valley we have since leased our oil and mineral rights to Kervin and Kervin Land Services, Inc. There has since been another large oil discovery in Mayfield, UT only 50 miles from Richfield. For any wanting to ask questions or verification of these facts you may call
Jamie Kervin, 801-580-1056.
Floyd Moulton is the 82 yr old geologist who has said the oil was here back in the late 1970's and early 1980's. Look him up on the internet and read his articles regarding this oil. All the more reason to come to south cental Utah and live. I'll help you find a place.
I've geologist (read: caver) friends that tell me that the area mentioned is indeed ripe with potential for oil based on geologic formations and evidence of shale and other things (way over my head) that are good indicators.
The above quote is from a fwd-ed e-mail and there was a political rant to the rest of it that I decided to snip.
We've got the reserves we need here across the country (remember that big find somewhere in the mid-west?) but we're not doing anything about it. Why? I think it's because there's more money in WAR than producing energy and a peaceful resolution to the world's energy needs.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well Caver, it's certainly easier to take someone else's oil than to drill for your own. That's doubly true when the tax payers picking up the tab and paying the butcher's bill.

The problem with a lot of the North American oil reserves is twofold.

First, a lot of them like the Northern Prairie shales and the Athabasca tar sands are very expensive to extract. They're not nicely capped oil fields with lots of volatiles. Extracting oil from shale or using the low grade stuff from the sands is expensive. When the energy to get it out is close to the energy you get out of it the price has to be pretty high to make it worth the effort.

Second, the oil companies are already sitting on a lot of conventional domestic resources that they just don't want to exploit. They are only prepared to do it when it will maximize profit - i.e. when the price of oil has gone from "Unchristly" to "OMFG do you want to rip my heart out while you're at it!?!?!?"

It's a nice perk to get offshore drilling again; Dick Cheney was lying when he said the Chinese were drilling off Cuba. And it would be nice to have the last major arctic wildlife refuge opened for royalty-free drilling. But even the oil companies admit that the reserves in ANWR aren't that significant. And the offshore stuff, again by their and the government's best estimates, won't make a significant difference for ten to twenty years. When people are afraid they'll give you whatever little thing you want. When they're panicking they'll thrown in their children and grovel for the privilege. It's best to keep them afraid and panicked.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes but who the hell are we to determine that way of life is WRONG!?

Widespread religious oppression is wrong in any context. You can tell that because those who don't want to live that way (i.e. the women who now have to walk around veiled) have no choice in the matter. If they had a choice, perhaps it would be different.

It's how they want to live, it's how they were living before we got involved.

No, it's not how they want to live, a small number of violent and armed extremists are forcing this on the others. Also, as I just said, it isn't how they were living before we got involved. Our involvement is what enabled the religious extremists to exert power again.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At the risk of saying the obvious...they can always rise up and refuse to go gently into that good night as it were. Freedom is won, not given as a gift.

Latest Discussions