Sparring Blunders

KenpoSterre

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What was your biggest sparring bludder/mistake you have ever made. Have you ever completely mortified yourself when sparring? Trip spectaculurly without ever touching the other person? Attempting a jointlock and hurting yourself more than your oppenent? Ever punched yourself? Here si the place to put your most morrtifying sparring blunders.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Worst one I ever had was getting dazed by a kick to the head, then as a result of losing track of where I was, turning to evade the next attack and running smack dab into the brick wall. That was fun.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The worst thing I think I ever did was try to stamp as a diversion... which worked great until I stamped too hard and my foot slipped on the wax cement of the floor, and I hyperextended my knee - it tried to go backwards, like a bird's. It felt okay the rest of class, but when I got up the next day it wouldn't bend, and putting weight on it was exceptionally painful. I spent the next 3 weeks in a knee brace, and had to wear a neoprene brace during class for the next 6 months, and occasionally thereafter. I was a blue belt at the time. This lead up to occasional knee injuries capped (hopefully permanently) by spraining it the last time I tested (2/05); it still gets sore from that one.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of the first times I sparred, my instructor told me, "you're shoe's untied". I looked down and got kicked in the head.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I got caught in an armbar and tried to fight the armbar as my elbow produced three very loud snapping noises. The person I was sparring actually thought he broke his cup against my elbow. My elbow didn't hurt during the armbar, but was very sore for over two months afterwards. I'm willing to tap sooner now, even if I'm not feeling pain.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does splitting your gi bottom during your Yellow belt exam count..

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmm....worst.......
hitting myself in the head on the rechamber....
couple of ahh....painful...groinshots, 1 self inflicted....
riping the crotch of my pants out while rolling while the ladies looked on....quite, embarrassing....

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
did it break while sparring?

No it was during a side kick in the 2nd kata..Thank the Lord I had just purchased a new black gi and it was in my locker..White gi top and black bottoms..

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was sparring in class one night. While sparring one person, I hear a thud from the person next to me falling. I drop my hands as I move my attention them him. *Thwack!* The person fighting me throws a perfect round kick to my face. I can't open my right eye! I continue sparring. I'm now sparring another person. Within a minute or so, I can see out of my right eye again. *Thwack!* To the same spot! This happened a total of 3 times that day. The last shot closed my eye for 2 days.

Note to self: No matter what, keep your hands up!

Ciprian Vali

White Belt
Reaction score
Never really had any bad mistakes whilst sparring, although I did accidently break my partners jaw with a thrust kick to the face.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never really had any bad mistakes whilst sparring, although I did accidently break my partners jaw with a thrust kick to the face.

I would consider that a pretty bad mistake mi amigo

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've made more than a few blunders.

I think the worst was when I was sparring A black belt at my school, who was significantly bigger than me. He started to do a take down, I managed to get a little leverage in on my part. My intention was to get him to go down under me... well it didnt work, I ended up on my stomach with a nice rear choke to reward me for my foolishness.

Another incedent with the same fellow. While sparring he attempted to take me down again, though by now I had caught on to his game and was being less than compliant. Working to keep my ballance I didn't see the nice big forearm shot coming across to help me over his leg. As a result I took the blow to the throat instead of the chest. That'll teach me to keep my hands up.

(I do have to say though I managed to redeem myself after those brilliant blunders. I planted a front kick/ wheel kick combo on him. The front kick landed just above his hip and the wheel kick brushed his chin. You can be sure that I paid for it though.)

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Worst mistake was - after being introduced as a national champion at a friends school and teaching a seminar on Lethwei - I managed to get kicked square in the jaw (hard) by a green belt while using him as a demonstrator.

Imagine nine pairs of VERY wide eyes staring at me with shocked expressions. :rofl:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was sparring a new student when I was a blue belt and unbeknownst to anyone he had a pre-existing (I swear) scab on his foot. I say he was new because the guy kept doing round house kicks to my lead knee. I pointed my knee to take the blow and the guy just drops to the ground clutching his foot. There was blood everywhere. My instructor and his wife came running out of the office toward the sound of his screaming and then asked what I did to him. I had know idea what I had done. The guy quickly explained the scab but I was guilty as charged until he had done so; probably, because student injury normaly was my fault.
Sean

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
While sparring I don't remember which combo I threw but it ended with a front snap kick. I snapped the kick so hard the tip of my belt came up and put a welt across my face and gave me a black eye.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
While sparring I don't remember which combo I threw but it ended with a front snap kick. I snapped the kick so hard the tip of my belt came up and put a welt across my face and gave me a black eye.

That kind of reminds me of a time many years ago (before I started MA) where I came face to face with a bee. I hated bees. It wasn't really in my face, but it was coming close so I tried to kick it hard. I must have had an adrenlin rush when I kicked at it. I don't think I touched the bee, but my knee came up and hit me right square in the mouth giving me a fat lip and some bleeding. When I was asked what happened, "oh, I just got in a little scuffle, no big deal. You should've seen the other guy!" I'm glad I didn't kick any of my teeth out.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This wasn't during sparring, but funny (now, not then). We were doing warm-ups (jumping jacks, sit ups, ect). Then we started with the stretch kicks. I was doing the front stretch kick (I was a lot more flexible then), and I kneed myself in the head/face. There's nothing worse than kneeing yourself in the head .... OUCH!

Once when we were doing sparring combos (speaking of belt injuries). We did a front snap kick and a spinning back kick. My green belt in TSD was REALLY long. I did the front snap kick and my belt came up and whacked me in my eye. Then I did the spinning back kick, and my ponytail whacked me in the other. Now I wear shorter belts, and I got my hair cut shorter LOL.

The last funny one was during sparring. I was sparring a kid (15 yo or so). We were trading some good shots. Then he stepped on my pant leg. I went to move and my pants ... umm hehehehehehe. Put it this way, my butt was showing. I yanked them up and kept going, but my instructor saw it. He said, "You can stop to fix you "sparring gear." Meaning, my pants. I was blushing the rest of the class.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sparing a friend of mine that was a Shaolin Kung Fu and TDK guy and back then I trained Tai Chi and Xingyi

He threw a front round house and missed, I moved in fast and was rather surprised that anyone could change that into a hook kick, with power, that fast, with the same leg (it never touched the ground).

Latest Discussions