Recent resources for modern WTF sparring methods

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Has anything decent been produced recently on WTF sparring methods? I've got the first three videos of Dr Yang Jin Bang's Science of Taekwondo Fighting series (digitised on my computer now). I also had Master Lee Han Won's videos a while ago, but they wouldn't digitise.

Is there anything comparable that's been recently/professionally produced and available on DVD?

Thanks.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do the Herb Perez series count? I believe they were produced in the nineties for VHS and they have been transferred to DVD. Might be a little dated technically, but I do recall seeing lots of paddle drills and kicking strategies geared towards Olympic style sparring.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do the Herb Perez series count? I believe they were produced in the nineties for VHS and they have been transferred to DVD. Might be a little dated technically, but I do recall seeing lots of paddle drills and kicking strategies geared towards Olympic style sparring.

Sounds like an interesting resource, but I'm definitely after something newer (last 5 years or so).

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Electronic scoring is changing how players fight, and it's an ongoing evolution. I haven't seen anything in print or video like what you're looking for, though I like the Han Lee videos that are older.

Dragons TKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Electronic scoring is changing how players fight, and it's an ongoing evolution. I haven't seen anything in print or video like what you're looking for, though I like the Han Lee videos that are older.

I haven't competed in forever. Last time I was in the ring at nationals, the corner judges had a red plunger and a blue plunger. Press red when red scores and blue for when blue scores.

How has electronic scoring changed the way players fight? I'm asking because I honestly don't know and I was hoping you could elaborate a bit.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mostly power, accurancy and technique of kicks. It has made the head shot to be the more so kick now because corners still call them. The EBP has alot of problem with being on mark with points sometimes they work sometimes they don't. I prefer the old day and bring back corner sure you had alot of bad call but atleast it was not equipmeent failure and tournaments lasting until 2 am for competitors.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I haven't competed in forever. Last time I was in the ring at nationals, the corner judges had a red plunger and a blue plunger. Press red when red scores and blue for when blue scores.

How has electronic scoring changed the way players fight? I'm asking because I honestly don't know and I was hoping you could elaborate a bit.

1. Equipment delays-each fighter has to be fitted with an electronic hogu that has to be then synched. The fighters have to function check them before starting. Sometimes there are function issues during the matches.
2. The arrangement of sensors on the sensor socks don't register a point to the hogu unless the kick is horizontal and of significant power. The horizontal part means that some powerful kicks with even a little angle don't score. It's not rare for flurries to result in no points. Fighters are working hard to make sure body kicks hit at the right angle.
3. The problem with body points has led players to go for the head more than ever, as that is still corner judge scored, as are punches. With few body points scoring, a 3 point head shot is bigger than it used to be.
4. On the plus side, it reduces some of the phantom points.