84723730-91EE-4FA9-8D61-9D9D813F5ADF.jpeg
E4A40C38-5CEA-4233-9E9A-992A44FF1FC0.jpeg

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Congratulations Lisa!

Have fun breaking in that stiff new belt. Yo go, girl.

OP
A

auntlisa1103

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. GM loves the story that “this journey started with a bike ride”. And it’s definitely been a long and winding road. But we’re ready for the next leg of the path!!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh just brilliant, a massive congratulations to you, well done!!!!

OP
A

auntlisa1103

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, can anyone read me the left hand side? I was told it makes the statement that I am a Chung Kim student. But I have a thing for languages, so I’m curious about the precise wording.

FA45FC4D-6127-446F-9A66-8646707228A5.jpeg

Last edited:

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations. In a few days time, as the black belt power ‘sinks in‘ you’ll able levitate. It’s true. I’m not lying😑

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations Lisa!

Have fun breaking in that stiff new belt. Yo go, girl.
Out of curiosity, can anyone read me the left hand side? I was told it makes the statement that I am a Chung Kim student. But I have a thing for languages, so I’m curious about the precise wording.

View attachment 28307
I just used Google translate on this image and the right hand side says ‘Lisa Collins’. However, I don’t believe what Google translate suggests the left hand side says…it’s rather…’controversial’. I can personal message a screenshot of it, to you, if you like.

OP
A

auntlisa1103

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I knew the right side. The lady that runs the business side of the school actually missed the S on the end the first time she wrote it and I had to ask her to recheck it. I’m fine knowing the left side, whatever it says. That’s why I asked 😊

OP
A

auntlisa1103

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I just used Google translate on this image and the right hand side says ‘Lisa Collins’. However, I don’t believe what Google translate suggests the left hand side says…it’s rather…’controversial’. I can personal message a screenshot of it, to you, if you like.
I just downloaded the app and tried it myself. If it makes you feel any better, the founding GM of my school was named Chung Eun Kim.

It also read my last name as Knife Rinse. So. 😂😂😂😂😂

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just downloaded the app and tried it myself. If it makes you feel any better, the founding GM of my school was named Chung Eun Kim.

It also read my last name as Knife Rinse. So. 😂😂😂😂😂
I’m not sure what the first part of your post means but I did cross check the hangul you have on your belt online (김정은) and i’d does say what Google translate suggests.

But, it’s absolutely fine, you live in a free country and can have whatever you like emblazoned upon your belt!

OP
A

auntlisa1103

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I’m not sure what the first part of your post means but I did cross check the hangul you have on your belt online (김정은) and i’d does say what Google translate suggests.

But, it’s absolutely fine, you live in a free country and can have whatever you like emblazoned upon your belt!
Basically I’m saying you can’t necessarily ALWAYS trust online translations or app translations.

If you reorder what the app says, and remember that the J sound and the Ch sound are made by the same character, it is my founding GM’s (who emigrated to the US in the 1970’s) name. Also, the fact that it says Knife Rinse for my last name, and Juggernaut Episode for the bottom left, makes its accuracy suspicious enough to question whether it is expressing his name correctly.

I have learned to be very cautious about online translations of any language. My high school Spanish teacher told us to always translate everything back the other way to make absolutely certain it was saying what we really wanted to say. I’ve had some pretty interesting results in my day. Depending on context, the verb mandar could mean drive, send, or order (a person to do something). Online translators don’t always guess right.

Latest Discussions