Hee Il Cho

bayonet

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am a Kenpoist by nature BUT I will be moving to Oahu soon. I can take up a Kenpo based art....which I am exploring or train under the living legend Hee Il Cho... any advice...My feelings are this..forget about system or style...Imagine getting kicked or punched by this man...GM Cho knows what self defense is..I have no problem tying on a white belt and learning TKD from him or his black belts. But I am an old man :rofl: 34 and have dislocated both knees..jump kicks may be a pain.....

Let me know what you guys think.....
Respectfully :asian:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would go train with Grand Master Cho, but then again I'm partial to TKD.
Terry

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I had the opportunity, I would train w/ GM Cho, also. He really knows his stuff.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would go train with General Cho, but then again I'm partial to TKD.

General Cho, the former head of the ITF, is deceased. He Il Cho is very much alive, but he should not be confused with General Cho.

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tie on the white belt and go for it!
I had the chance to train with one of Master Cho's BB's a while back, and I'm still hurting!:uhyeah:

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
No competent instructor will force you to do jumping kicks if they're harmful for you. From what I've heard, Hee Il Cho is more than a competent instructor. I doubt you could go wrong with him.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
stoneheart said:
General Cho, the former head of the ITF, is deceased. He Il Cho is very much alive, but he should not be confused with General Cho.

My mistake I meant Grand Master.
Terry

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
stoneheart said:

General Cho is the guy the "special" @ the Asian Buffet is named after, I think. General Choi is the deceased head of the ITF. *insert funny icon here*

OP
B

bayonet

Orange Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
He's a living legend...you owe it to yourself to at least check him out.

Man I haven't felt this excited about training for a long time. Thanks for the advice, I cannot wait to start. Mr. Cho's facility is 8000 sq.ft. He has every kind of bag and weight equipment any stylist needs. Like I said in a previous post..style does not matter to me..I have seen so many versions of American Kenpo that it is time to take a different journey...Any other stories of Mr. Cho..sure like to hear 'em.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
General Cho is the guy the "special" @ the Asian Buffet is named after, I think. General Choi is the deceased head of the ITF. *insert funny icon here*

Actually, I think that's General Tso, but point taken. So, does GM He Il Cho have any cooking specialties?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Please tell us how the training goes!

I remember an article in the mid-70s in Traditional Taekwondo in which GM Cho ripped apart a heavy bag with a jump spinning back kick-too cool!!!

Good Luck!

Miles

OP
B

bayonet

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Miles said:
Please tell us how the training goes!

I remember an article in the mid-70s in Traditional Taekwondo in which GM Cho ripped apart a heavy bag with a jump spinning back kick-too cool!!!

Yeah I have seen those photos as well. Man, talk about mastering torque and back up mass. To kick the stuffing out of an everlast bag is impressive.

OP
B

bayonet

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As far as GM Cho's run in with law years ago, that was because some psycho dude came into his school and challenged him outright. After GM Cho nicely asked the man to leave the guy tried to attack GM Cho. After getting beat up he found out Mr. Cho's reputation and sued. Being Los Angeles there were plenty of ambulance chasers ready to assist this poor human being in court after he was so brutalized.....typical

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember that story. I believe that Mr. Cho either lost the lawsuit or settled it for around $30K in dental bills.

OP
B

bayonet

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I remember that story. I believe that Mr. Cho either lost the lawsuit or settled it for around $30K in dental bills.

Amazing how a guy off the street can walk into your place of business, make senseless demands, threaten you with violence, attack, get the taste knocked out of him, then turn around and sue. I guess Mr. Cho should have used "restraint" to deal with this individual. As far as I am concerned he did...guy is lucky he still is breathing...

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Man I haven't felt this excited about training for a long time. Thanks for the advice, I cannot wait to start. Mr. Cho's facility is 8000 sq.ft. He has every kind of bag and weight equipment any stylist needs. Like I said in a previous post..style does not matter to me..I have seen so many versions of American Kenpo that it is time to take a different journey...Any other stories of Mr. Cho..sure like to hear 'em.

A few years ago I walked into Hee Il Cho's dojang when he was still in West Los Angeles. It was noon on a weekday and he was in his office eating lunch. There was no one else in the building. He was one of the nicest and most respectful men I have ever met. We spoke for a long time despite the fact that he knew I trained in a different art and had no intentions of joining his org. What a class act. And you should see his awesome knuckles

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
He has had a profound impact on my TKD training. His kicking ability is the reason I sought out TKD instruction. He has helped me on several occasions with various menial techniques, but he showed great compassion and was very focused on helping me as if it were the only thing going on at that time. He will always have my respect and admiration.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score

My friend had the very same issue!

I recall the article saying something about Cho wearing out heavy bags on a regular basis.

I'm pretty sure my instructor had one of Cho's books on form, too.

Latest Discussions