Real world application of Jiu-jitsu

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'd say the advantages extend to training an art who *also* teaches grappling anyway, in a realistic perspective of what you may happen to need to protect yourself, such as happens with Okinawan karate. Of course it depends a great deal on where and who you train with.

By the way, it's a pity the person didn't mention what specific techniques they made use of.

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you scroll down in the comments, he gives more details of what he was doing technically.
True, I hadn't noticed that. Very fine description of his usage by the way. While he says it wasn't a glamorous use, I think he actually did well by using his fundamentals - what probably contributed to avoid injuries to his receiver.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I train with a few nurses, coppers and security guards. I reckon the nurses get most the action, good to hear the accounts of people using their training.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think there are advantages to training any art. While I've been lucky enough never to have attempted showering a resisting man, there's a whole lot of folks I know who've used aspects of their Martial training to control everything from freaked out junkies to hurt animals.

I think what helps the most is you get familiar with motion, force.....and the risk of surprise. That and a little luck can go a long way.

Latest Discussions