Real WC Videos?

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

This one is interesting! I'd like to point out that this takes place in the orient where western boxing is not the "default" method of fighting in the subconscious of the participants. No neither one of them resorted to the "pseudo-boxing" structure you see in clips from westerners. Instead they resort to the "long-arm flailing" that you often see in Kung Fu movies! ;-) You don't really see much Wing Chun or TKD! Just brawling!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The "stand up striking" in this clip doesn't play much important role here. It's the

- clinch that the guy (with the white shirt) wraps his right arm around the other guy's neck (at 0.14),
- "front cut" throw (at 0.22),
- side mount,
- following on with ground striking that end this fight.

It also indicates how difficult it can be to "prevent a clinch from happening" in a real fight.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
The "stand up striking" in this clip doesn't play much important role here. It's the

- clinch that the guy (with the white shirt) wraps his right arm around the other guy's neck (at 0.14),
- side mount,

It also indicates how difficult it can be to "prevent a clinch from happening" in a real fight.

No , what it indicates is that if your punches are wild and all over the place , there will be a point of entry where your opponent can eventually get a clinch.

It is bit more of a difficult proposition to do that , when the striker adheres to correct form and keeps the punches compact and on center.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

- side mount,

The fact that the clinch happens so much in boxing should be indicative of how hard it is to stop.

Also it's pretty funny how you this fight ended on the ground.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No , what it indicates is that if your punches are wild and all over the place , there will be a point of entry where your opponent can eventually get a clinch.

It is bit more of a difficult proposition to do that , when the striker adheres to correct form and keeps the punches compact and on center.
Do you think the "centerline chain punches" can prevent "clinch" from happening?

Your opponent can still use "double haymakers (downward separate hands)" to

- separate your arms from top-down,
- get into your center, and
- obtain the clinch that he is looking for.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The fact that the clinch happens so much in boxing should be indicative of how hard it is to stop.

That's my concern too. A good boxer should have good "jab, cross" combo training as well. IMO, as long as you extend your arms and punch. it's very difficult (if no impossible) to avoid "clinch".

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you think the "centerline chain punches" can prevent "clinch" from happening?

Your opponent's 45 degree downward "haymaker" can still knock your straight punch to the side.

And there are ways to deal with a force coming from the side , mainly a Bong Sau with a 45 degree pivot.
Depending on how much bodyweight you have committed to that haymaker , you are highly likely to find yourself redirected to the side and off balance , leaving your side and back exposed.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And there are ways to deal with a force coming from the side , mainly a Bong Sau with a 45 degree pivot.
Depending on how much bodyweight you have committed to that haymaker , you are highly likely to find yourself redirected to the side and off balance , leaving your side and back exposed.

In my personal experience, a 100% committed body rotation 45 degree downward haymaker can be as powerful as the MT guy's roundhouse kick. It can not only knock down your (general YOU) arms, it can also knock your body off balance as well. It can "interrupt" whatever you are trying to do big time.

If your opponent's haymaker can interrupt your chain punches, that interruption will give him an opportunity to achieve his "clinch". What I'm trying to say is trying to avoid "clinch" is very difficult (if not impossible).

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
haha thats cool, I want criticism ! then I can get better. its alwats good to have an outside perspective otherwise id be a frog impressed by my own croak( is that the saying?)Well idno if you guys have ever sparred, but he was throwing real punches, you cant tell how much force there is from a video... in the video im about 75 kg and hes atleast 100 kg, plays a **** ton of rugby and has done some boxing and bjj( only for a few months lol so guess doesnt count?) so i thought would be good to get used to. We spar alot off video , so he is super aware of what i do. About the range , I know thats what im trying to get better at, Bridging and sticking to all the principles iv learnt, Easier said than Done haha. But next time ill make we spar ill make it more hardcore. This guy likes to stay out of range and throw jab jab then close in with a hook. It does say light sparring aswell.. Not hardcore full contact.

Also fighting with those big blue gloves is really hard tbh.

What are your guys thoughts on the Second video? same as the first? IF it doesnt represent good wing chun maybe ill take em down until i make a really impressive one.

Id like to see a video of you sparring btw with all your wing chun techniques clearly visible.

Cheeers
Sean

If you welcome criticism ...

Have we ever sparred??? Are you serious??? Likely some of us old farts had gotten into martial art long before you were born, what do you think?

Your non-compliant dude throwing REAL punches :lfao: ... my grand daughter can do better.

If indeed you do LOTS of sparring off-camera, the end result is not really evident by the video you put up, ask your teacher to show you how to improve your skill .... you do study with an qualify teacher, right?

BTW it take guts to put video of yourself on the net.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's my concern too. A good boxer should have good "jab, cross" combo training as well. IMO, as long as you extend your arms and punch. it's very difficult (if no impossible) to avoid "clinch".

As a rule, if the fight goes on for more than a very short time, and if either or both fighters are determined to close and clinch, then the clinch will happen. And soon after the ground happens.

Still, your reference to the clinch in boxing as compared to other combat sports is an imperfect one. A boxer's defensive clinch is very different animal than a grappler's offensive use of a clinch. A boxer doesn't have much to lose if the other boxer gets him into a clinch till the ref separates the two of them, so not as much is riding on preventing the clinch.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In my personal experience, a 100% committed body rotation 45 degree downward haymaker can be as powerful as the MT guy's roundhouse kick. It can not only knock down your (general YOU) arms, it can also knock your body off balance as well. It can "interrupt" whatever you are trying to do big time.

If your opponent's haymaker can interrupt your chain punches, that interruption will give him an opportunity to achieve his "clinch". What I'm trying to say is trying to avoid "clinch" is very difficult (if not impossible).

Not really. Just in general straight punching beats round punching. That is a basic boxing fundamental. So those chain punches really will work against hey makers.

In a practical sense the chain punches are doing the same job as that big fist idea.

But you don't clinch you cover and change levels where those long combinations work against you either by them punching and falling in to the takedown. Or by you punching and their defence bringing their hands up leaving them open for the takedown.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As a rule, if the fight goes on for more than a very short time, and if either or both fighters are determined to close and clinch, then the clinch will happen. And soon after the ground happens.

Still, your reference to the clinch in boxing as compared to other combat sports is an imperfect one. A boxer's defensive clinch is very different animal than a grappler's offensive use of a clinch. A boxer doesn't have much to lose if the other boxer gets him into a clinch till the ref separates the two of them, so not as much is riding on preventing the clinch.

Sort of.

I tend to double under hook clinch for boxing that could be a takedown if I wanted. But what is good for striking. Hands high head down and light on your feet. Is not good for wrestling hands down head up and heavy on your feet.

This is the big MMA compromise

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
This one is not bad. At least the Wing Chun is recognizable!

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I always liked this one, personally:

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you welcome criticism ...

Have we ever sparred??? Are you serious??? Likely some of us old farts had gotten into martial art long before you were born, what do you think?

Your non-compliant dude throwing REAL punches :lfao: ... my grand daughter can do better.

If indeed you do LOTS of sparring off-camera, the end result is not really evident by the video you put up, ask your teacher to show you how to improve your skill .... you do study with an qualify teacher, right?

BTW it take guts to put video of yourself on the net.

Well you never know , some people practice martial arts there whole life and have never been in a fight once. But Im Only 20, I know alot of you would crush me in a second haha

Oh man , ill let him know haha. I mean they had power behind them. But I will tell him that some guy on the net thought they were **** and to throw more violent ones next time. Btw like mook jong man said about head-shots, we avoid them when we spar cause its more detrimental.

Can you tell me exactly whats wrong with his punches ?

I should correct myself , We DID lots of sparring in the time period, this video is about 2 years old, the order goes like this- decide to start sparring by taking video- then spar lots no video. I do hope my skill has improve a lot since then, its just hard to get a regular sparring partner.
Tbh this vid was never made for the net, was just to see how much wing chun i could do when i first started sparring.

You guys are always welcome to come and fight me or my sparring partner.( even if you waste us , nicely ;) )
Yes I do learn under a Qualified Sifu lol He learnt from Ip Ching so i guess what I learn should be good, All about that Yu ma.

and i always thought this vid was pretty alright.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well you never know , some people practice martial arts there whole life and have never been in a fight once. But Im Only 20, I know alot of you would crush me in a second haha

Oh man , ill let him know haha. I mean they had power behind them. But I will tell him that some guy on the net thought they were **** and to throw more violent ones next time. Btw like mook jong man said about head-shots, we avoid them when we spar cause its more detrimental.

I should correct myself , We DID lots of sparring in the time period, this video is about 2 years old, the order goes like this- decide to start sparring by taking video- then spar lots no video. I do hope my skill has improve a lot since then, its just hard to get a regular sparring partner.
Tbh this vid was never made for the net, was just to see how much wing chun i could do when i first started sparring.

You guys are always welcome to come and fight me or my sparring partner.( even if you waste us , nicely ;) )
Yes I do learn under a Qualified Sifu lol He learnt from Ip Ching so i guess what I learn should be good, All about that Yu ma.

Dude wing chun are you doing much chi sau at all?
Because chi sau teaches you amongst other things to be aggressive , get in close and stay in close.
It also teaches the correct range for hitting.

Maybe you could teach your partner chi sau , and then start to have a bit of a play around trying to find the gaps and hit each other.
You will start to develop a good sense of your range , and will get to know what it feels like to hit in close from your optimum angle.

Make sure to stay relaxed and not use any brute strength.
Just play around like in this video here.

[video=youtube_share;djd3tb7fNfw]http://youtu.be/djd3tb7fNfw[/video]

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score

I question why you put up an video that's over 2 years old and not also one of most recent, that way we can see your progression and comment accordingly.

As to what is wrong with your partner's punches, let me count the ways ... lots of long range light jabs, I don't see any committed punches, ie no intent, no power, not using his body mass (need not to be there to see generation of power), in a way IMO just waving of arms, and yes the title of the video did say light sparing.

The mantra "you fight the way you train" holds true, unlike some of the b#tch-slapping "sparing", the video you posted above is in deed an good example of the kind of training and sparing.

You may be right in regards to high percentage of people had studied MA all their lives had never fought, but I not sure what kind of fighting you're referring to. Martial art is not at all about fighting, it's about having the skill and conviction at hand when you do need to protect love ones and self. The highest skill level and the hardest to learned in MA is how not to fight.

BTW I remember reading some where that Ip Chun had never got into a fight, possible his big brother Ip Ching also ... I'm saying being in fight(s) has little to do with your perception of skill. Some people spend all their lives getting higher education with walls full of diplomas, but still is dumber than a box of rocks.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I question why you put up an video that's over 2 years old and not also one of most recent, that way we can see your progression and comment accordingly.

As to what is wrong with your partner's punches, let me count the ways ... lots of long range light jabs, I don't see any committed punches, ie no intent, no power, not using his body mass (need not to be there to see generation of power), in a way IMO just waving of arms, and yes the title of the video did say light sparing.

The mantra "you fight the way you train" holds true, unlike some of the b#tch-slapping "sparing", the video you posted above is in deed an good example of the kind of training and sparing.

You may be right in regards to high percentage of people had studied MA all their lives had never fought, but I not sure what kind of fighting you're referring to. Martial art is not at all about fighting, it's about having the skill and conviction at hand when you do need to protect love ones and self. The highest skill level and the hardest to learned in MA is how not to fight.

BTW I remember reading some where that Ip Chun had never got into a fight, possible his big brother Ip Ching also ... I'm saying being in fight(s) has little to do with your perception of skill. Some people spend all their lives getting higher education with walls full of diplomas, but still is dumber than a box of rocks.

Actually, Ip Ching is said to have had a few fights.

While it isn't necessary to be a skilled practitioner, I do believe that fighting experience leads to a much more pragmatic understanding of the art. Just take Wong Shun Leung as an example. He started in boxing, moved to Wing Chun, and became heavily involved in bare-knuckle challenge matches. And as a result, cultivated what is, in my opinion, one of the most refined, straight-forward, and pragmatic takes on Wing Chun that you'll find.

Likewise, many other early students of Yip Man also refined their art in this manner, and to a varying degree, passed on what they learned to their students. But I think that, with each generation, a bit of understanding is lost when skills aren't put to the test in a realistic way. Students always like to focus on more advanced things, when, usually, perfecting the most bare bone basics are what make a good fighter.

OP
Hong Kong Pooey

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Also it's pretty funny how you this fight ended on the ground.

You do realise that in a real fight the aim of pretty much every fighter regardless of style is to put his opponent on the ground? If so then it's not that funny at all.

Also according to the comments they'd been training in their respective styles for 1 & 3 months. It wasn't meant as a shining example of flawless WC technique, more as a demonstration of non-compliance and 2 guys actually trying to hit each other.