Real WC Videos?

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Steve asked pretty much the same question that I'm going to in another thread, and it's something I've been thinking about for a while, so thought I'd start a dedicated one.

Are there any decent clips out there of people using WC in a real fight (or even competition I suppose) and winning/doing well?

There's loads of demo's and stuff but it's very hard to find anything on YT of a WC guy (or gal) against a non-compliant opponent and using something that remotely resembles what I'd expect to see.

Most of the ones I come across are either mis-labelled or just look like generic punching, kicking, grappling.

I thought maybe some people may know of some that are only posted with Chinese descriptions or something?

I'll start the ball rolling with one that may or may not be WC (and because it's quite perhaps more knowledgeable people than me can confirm/identify his art:

Last edited by a moderator:

VT_Vectis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Great idea for a thread, HKP, I'd like to see some good examples myself.

Unfortunately the video you posted , from what what I'm aware of, is of a fella who was in the British army, was a bouncer, and holds a black belt in a form of Karate. I got this info from the description and comments of another Version of that video on YT. The comment was fro m a chap who claimed to know both the people involved, but this may well be wrong. Either way I'd say not VT being used.

OP
Hong Kong Pooey

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Great idea for a thread, HKP, I'd like to see some good examples myself.

Unfortunately the video you posted , from what what I'm aware of, is of a fella who was in the British army, was a bouncer, and holds a black belt in a form of Karate. I got this info from the description and comments of another Version of that video on YT. The comment was fro m a chap who claimed to know both the people involved, but this may well be wrong. Either way I'd say not VT being used.

I've seen it described as Karate and Wing Chun in different versions so good to have it cleared up, thanks.

Let's hope there are better clips to come!

Oh and just realised I missed out "amusing)" in the last line of the OP.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most applications in my lineage , and I'm sure it's the same in other lineages are over and done with in under a second.
You would have to be a pretty quick draw on the old camera phone to capture that I imagine.

Besides that , think about the last time you actually had to use it.
There has been quite a few close calls , but the last time I had to use it for real was in the early 90s when I dropped a bloke with a Fak Sau to the mouth.

He had come up behind me , grabbed me by the shoulder and had his fist poised to strike.
Suffice to say , my strike got there first.

I was able to avoid most situations because I didn't hang around in pubs at all hours of the night , and I also avoided hanging around with dickheads who were likely to start trouble and expect me to help bail them out.

So I would expect that most Wing Chun people are intelligent like me , and do not fight at the mere drop of a hat , but tend to
avoid trouble at all costs .

For that reason you are probably not likely to see footage of Wing Chun guys brawling in the street , we are the type that have already sensed the yobs at the other end of the bar getting loud and obnoxious , and thus have decided to leave and go to a more genteel venue a good half an hour before the fists and schooner glasses have started flying.

Skill in technique is good , but skill in awareness is even better.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Excellent points Mook. I agree with you. And that's exactly why I think the people that say a measure of a good instructor is how much fighting experience they have is a bit off. To my mind, someone with a lot of street-fighting cred is likely a hoodlum themselves and not someone I would want to be associated with.

OP
Hong Kong Pooey

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Most applications in my lineage , and I'm sure it's the same in other lineages are over and done with in under a second.
You would have to be a pretty quick draw on the old camera phone to capture that I imagine.

There has been quite a few close calls , but the last time I had to use it for real was in the early 90s when I dropped a bloke with a Fak Sau to the mouth.

He had come up behind me , grabbed me by the shoulder and had his fist poised to strike.

I was able to avoid most situations because I didn't hang around in pubs at all hours of the night , and I also avoided hanging around with dickheads who were likely to start trouble and expect me to help bail them out.

So I would expect that most Wing Chun people are intelligent like me , and do not fight at the mere drop of a hat , but tend to

For that reason you are probably not likely to see footage of Wing Chun guys brawling in the street , we are the type that have already sensed the yobs at the other end of the bar getting loud and obnoxious , and thus have decided to leave and go to a more genteel venue a good half an hour before the fists and schooner glasses have started flying.

All good points Mook, especially about it being over quickly.

Also I forget sometimes that cctv isn't ubiquitous in the rest of the world like it is here in the UK.

Still, there may be one or two gems out there that the good folks of MT have unearthed.

OP
Hong Kong Pooey

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Real wing chun fight with real knock out - YouTube There is this one I saw yesterday. Video says wing chun, to be honest as it a very short clip I'm not so sure. But a brutal knock out either way! One of the best street fights I've seen on YouTube I personally think!

It's a good punch to put the guy down, but there's not too much there that would identify him as a chunner to me if it wasn't in the title.

Maybe others will see it differently though?

Thanks for the clip!

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

That's a pretty classic application of Fak Sau.

You're absolutely on the money, though. Most street fights I see are the result of two knuckle-heads engaging in knuckle-headery.

Props to the guy in the video, though. While he looked a bit too side-on to be WC, he made excellent use of centerline theory, and maintained really good awareness and a calm composure.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The guy in the video had no intentions of fighting. He was a loud mouth, (looked wasted) and his only intent was to posture for the onlookers. As soon as he caught a weak punch to the face, went running off.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Is this your opinion (in bold above) or do you have something to back it up with?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is this your opinion (in bold above) or do you have something to back it up with?

Well if your applications are running to more than three movements and taking a few seconds to complete , you are probably doing too much and over engineering things a little bit I would say.

Even the more fancier wooden dummy techniques in this video only take about a second from start to finish .

OP
Hong Kong Pooey

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The guy in the video had no intentions of fighting. He was a loud mouth, (looked wasted) and his only intent was to posture for the onlookers. As soon as he caught a weak punch to the face, went running off.

I'd disagree with your description, I'd say he caught a punch solid enough to put him down and then went crawling off.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd disagree with your description, I'd say he caught a punch solid enough to put him down and then went crawling off.

If he had intent to fight, he wouldn't have spent a couple of minutes in the guys face the way he was. It was a just a macho show. My opinion.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well if your applications are running to more than three movements and taking a few seconds to complete , you are probably doing too much and over engineering things a little bit I would say.

Even the more fancier wooden dummy techniques in this video only take about a second from start to finish .

I may have misunderstood your post.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I may have misunderstood your post.

No worries.
If you are talking about how long it would take to put someone down , say your up against the Terminator high on illegal substances or something .
Then that is hard to say , you do what you have to do to survive in that situation , if it takes a bit longer than a few seconsds so be it .

But the applications themselves are usually very short sequences , as to whether they will have an effect or not is another story , that is up to you and how well you can generate the force required to put someone down and keep them down.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If he had intent to fight, he wouldn't have spent a couple of minutes in the guys face the way he was. It was a just a macho show. My opinion.

I think most people who are looking to pick a fight only do so when they see their opponent as easy prey. Punch them in the face and knock them on the ground, and they're likely to reconsider the situation unless they're really invested with their pride. Thugs and knuckle-heads aren't generally looking for a fair fight.

Respectfully, I don't understand why you feel the need to downplay this video. The man in the video was being physically assaulted, and did deliver a powerful strike with good structure that knocked his assailant to the ground. Well handled all around, IMO.

Last edited:

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think most people who are looking to pick a fight only do so when they see their opponent as easy prey. Punch them in the face and knock them on the ground, and they're likely to reconsider the situation unless they're really invested with their pride. Thugs and knuckle-heads aren't generally looking for a fair fight.

Respectfully, I don't understand why you feel the need to downplay this video. The man in the video was being physically assaulted, and did deliver a powerful strike with good structure that knocked his assailant to the ground. Well handled all around, IMO.

I didn't mean to downplay the punch, but the guy was obviously wasted and a strong wind would have knocked him down.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

His opponent is a giant! He has to strike low with movements from the dummy. He'd need a step stool to hit the guy in the face! ;-)

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Pretty sure OP's video is a karate guy.

Also, people won't want to hear this, but what does this say about the current state of Wing Chun?

Latest Discussions