Real WC Videos?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pretty sure OP's video is a karate guy.

Also, people won't want to hear this, but what does this say about the current state of Wing Chun?

It says we are all law abiding citizens who find violence in any form to be totally abhorrent.

Furthermore we are usually found tucked up in bed by 8pm most nights sipping from a mug of hot cocoa and reading a good book.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pretty sure OP's video is a karate guy.

Also, people won't want to hear this, but what does this say about the current state of Wing Chun?

Off the top of my head I would say that it means either Wing Chun guys don't get in fights (like MJM suggested), or the actual footage of street fights do have WC guys in them, but they default back to wild punching and kicking instead of their training kicking in.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Off the top of my head I would say that it means either Wing Chun guys don't get in fights (like MJM suggested), or the actual footage of street fights do have WC guys in them, but they default back to wild punching and kicking instead of their training kicking in.

No doubt this often happens. I haven't been in an actual fight (as compared to sparring) since my mid twenties -- more than 30 years ago. At the time I'd had a year or two of WC -- which flew out the window and it was all wild haymakers, scuffling, then grappling. It takes a while for WC to get deeply ingrained into your muscle memory, especially if you start as an adult.

In my case, by the time WC began to be my natural way of moving, I'd matured to the point where i wasn't getting in fights. Some other factors include the relatively small percentage of people who actually train WC for any length of time (as compared to just talking about it) and how unlikely it would be to catch a real fight where WC is used on a security cam, etc.

And finally, there is the reality that when WC is used in a uncontrolled free-fighting situation, it often doesn't look like the formalized WC practiced in many schools. Alan Orr, Sifu Fernandez (aka "Fighterman") and others have posted some relevant, if controversial (at least in WC circles) opinions on this.

For example, Alan Orr sees his WC as playing a substantial role in the following fight with his fighter Josh Kaldani. Many other WC people don't see the WC here. I see some truth in both points of view, but personally, I'd like to see some more fighters who use their WC in a more immediately apparent manner. For example, in clips where Alan Orr himself spars, the WC content seems more obvious to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have no idea where this gent learned to fight but, to my eyes, is looks like wing chun applied in reality. Check out the way he fills center...

[video=youtube_share;YiKgtZCfTUU]http://youtu.be/YiKgtZCfTUU[/video]

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have no idea where this gent learned to fight but, to my eyes, is looks like wing chun applied in reality. Check out the way he fills center...

[video=youtube_share;YiKgtZCfTUU]http://youtu.be/YiKgtZCfTUU[/video]

You may very well be right there Cephalopod.
It looks like it might be a horse racing or Greyhound track in Hong Kong , and if I'm not mistaken it sounds like they are speaking Cantonese.
So everything seems to fit.

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I dont know if it counts but i posted a video of me sparring with someone who is non compliant

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure we all like to check it out ... please provide the link.

Alrighty , I already made a thread so didnt want to double post haha

Actually 2 videos from the same session.

and '

I always seem to do much better when the camera isnt rolling

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Two WC masters fighting it out.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

and '

I realize that you're doing just some light friendly sparring, but I think you'll get a lot more benefit working from closer in at a more realistic distance. Both you and your friend are throwing a lot of punches from out of range. Especially for a close-range style like Wing Chun you want to get used to maintaining the correct distance.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I dont know if it counts but i posted a video of me sparring with someone who is non compliant

and '

Alllrighty, saw this video before, IMO ... non compliant ??? :hmm: Fargettaboutit ... never mind what you consider as sparing. Am I being too critical? Maybe other members can chime-in.

OP
Hong Kong Pooey

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I realize that you're doing just some light friendly sparring, but I think you'll get a lot more benefit working from closer in at a more realistic distance. Both you and your friend are throwing a lot of punches from out of range. Especially for a close-range style like Wing Chun you want to get used to maintaining the correct distance.

My thoughts exactly

OP
Hong Kong Pooey

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Alllrighty, saw this video before, IMO ... non compliant ??? :hmm: Fargettaboutit ... never mind what you consider as sparing. Am I being too critical? Maybe other members can chime-in.

I wouldn't argue with that.

Fair play to the dude for posting the clips, but this is more like the kind of thing I meant by non compliant:

It's semi-organized rather than a pure street altercation, but neither guy seems to be holding back imo.

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score

haha thats cool, I want criticism ! then I can get better. its alwats good to have an outside perspective otherwise id be a frog impressed by my own croak( is that the saying?)Well idno if you guys have ever sparred, but he was throwing real punches, you cant tell how much force there is from a video... in the video im about 75 kg and hes atleast 100 kg, plays a **** ton of rugby and has done some boxing and bjj( only for a few months lol so guess doesnt count?) so i thought would be good to get used to. We spar alot off video , so he is super aware of what i do. About the range , I know thats what im trying to get better at, Bridging and sticking to all the principles iv learnt, Easier said than Done haha. But next time ill make we spar ill make it more hardcore. This guy likes to stay out of range and throw jab jab then close in with a hook. It does say light sparring aswell.. Not hardcore full contact.

Also fighting with those big blue gloves is really hard tbh.

What are your guys thoughts on the Second video? same as the first? IF it doesnt represent good wing chun maybe ill take em down until i make a really impressive one.

Id like to see a video of you sparring btw with all your wing chun techniques clearly visible.

Cheeers
Sean

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
haha thats cool, I want criticism ! then I can get better. its alwats good to have an outside perspective otherwise id be a frog impressed by my own croak( is that the saying?)Well idno if you guys have ever sparred, but he was throwing real punches, you cant tell how much force there is from a video... in the video im about 75 kg and hes atleast 100 kg, plays a **** ton of rugby and has done some boxing and bjj( only for a few months lol so guess doesnt count?) so i thought would be good to get used to. We spar alot off video , so he is super aware of what i do. About the range , I know thats what im trying to get better at, Bridging and sticking to all the principles iv learnt, Easier said than Done haha. But next time ill make we spar ill make it more hardcore. This guy likes to stay out of range and throw jab jab then close in with a hook. It does say light sparring aswell.. Not hardcore full contact.

Also fighting with those big blue gloves is really hard tbh.

What are your guys thoughts on the Second video? same as the first? IF it doesnt represent good wing chun maybe ill take em down until i make a really impressive one.

Id like to see a video of you sparring btw with all your wing chun techniques clearly visible.

Cheeers
Sean

Then split the difference and use MMA gloves. Or even gloves and headgear. It won't effect his boxing. It will only make him better.

Yo4hPm_AQpH4f663TrG8XMFsJ4J_7bh8KGP8ZSlplTw_1024x1024.jpeg

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will definitely use mma gloves next time

Don't wear any gloves.
They wreck your technique anyway , they get in the way of doing proper Tan Sau's and basically limit you to doing a lot of Pak Sau's.

As it has been pointed out already you have a problem with throwing strikes out of range , one way to fix that is to both wear chest protectors and only strike the chest.

Make sure everytime that you step into hit , your arm is still in the optimum angle just before you strike.

Another very good exercise for this is to start off chain punching lightly on your partners chest , he does not strike at all his job is to stay very mobile and just move randomly in any direction.

Your job is to stay with him as he dances around and to keep punching him in the chest , making sure that you are constantly staying in close and in range.
Do not let your punches lose contact with him.

One other thing I noticed is that you tend to engage in some type of hand fencing thing where he throws out a probing type of punch from out of range and you stay at a distance messing around with his hands , don't do this.

Soon as you make contact with his hand , latch / cut down , or Pak Sau that thing out the way and move in and hit him.

Finally I would make the hitting the head thing , even with head gear on , a very, very occasional event.
Trust me , there are more enjoyable ways to lose brain cells and it is no fun when you are older and walk into a room and can't remember why the the hell you walked in there.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mook gives good advice! You can gain much more from "progressive sparring drills" like he describes than you can from just going in and "banging" with a friend. Pick some aspect of the exchange that you want to develop and figure out how to put it into a drill. Then make the drill more and more "alive" and less predictable so you have to work to "get" it. Even Boxers and MMA fighters don't do heavy sparring at every work out session. They work on aspects of the game...bits and pieces...that are then assembled later when sparring.

A "sparring" mentality or approach to Wing Chun where you just go in and start free-sparring with no thought to Wing Chun specific strategy, tactics, and techniques is very likely another reason why so many Wing Chun people end up doing what looks like some form of pseudo-boxing when they spar.

Latest Discussions