Real Martial Arts

pvols1979

White Belt
Reaction score
My wife and I were recently in Tennessee for a training camp and we ran into a fellow martial artist. He asked what we trained in and we told him TSD. To this he replied, "you mean real martial arts". This was funny and interesting because he was wearing a shirt for his school that teaches Krav Maga. I just thought that was cool. It is nice to be respected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Pvols. Hope you enjoy it.

What kind of training camp were you enjoying?

OP
P

pvols1979

White Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Pvols. Hope you enjoy it.

What kind of training camp were you enjoying?

It was actually a sport karate camp. I enjoy traditional TSD, and so do my wife and kids, but they love the sport karate also. They have been training with swords, kamas, and staves. My wife competed in NASKA this year and won all her divisions, so the family is traveling to Chicago next week for her to get her award and compete in a NASKA tournament there.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It was actually a sport karate camp. I enjoy traditional TSD, and so do my wife and kids, but they love the sport karate also. They have been training with swords, kamas, and staves. My wife competed in NASKA this year and won all her divisions, so the family is traveling to Chicago next week for her to get her award and compete in a NASKA tournament there.

That's awesome, good for her! Best of luck to all of you. Keep us posted.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess it really means all of you go to camp and only half of you come home:)

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

When / where is the tournament in Chicago? Exact place /time /please.

OP
P

pvols1979

White Belt
Reaction score
When / where is the tournament in Chicago? Exact place /time /please.

The tournament was at the Hyatt Regency in Chicago. It was the AKA Warrior Cup tournament. You should Google it and try to go next year.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Was part of the AKA 40+ years ago and I think I went to this tournament about 5 years ago. If I recall it was in the lower level. Sparring was Stop / point sparring. Is that correct?

Martial_Kumite

Green Belt
Reaction score
I find the (KravMaga) guys reaction funny. It's has if he has had experience with a fake martial art or some other type of bullshido. :D

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My very first black belt was in TSD; and that was a long, long time ago. A friend's grandmaster, and founder of his system, was very impressed by my TSD certificate during his visit. What impressed him about it was that it was signed by Kwang Kee. I never thought much about it, still being only a shodan in TSD, but it was the signature this Korean grandmaster admired. TSD is karate, pure and simple and is as effective as other karate styles.

Latest Discussions