real life scenarios books?

williamsdean02

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I remember reading a book by Peyton Quinn. It was bouncers guide to barroom brawling. What other good books are there that are similar. I read it a year or so ago approximately, maybe a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am told Marc MacYoung is a good read in that sense. Personally, I don't find such books very interesting, but to each their own.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have read and liked:

Meditations on Violence: A Comparison of Martial Arts Training & Real World Violence: A Comparison of Martial Arts Training and Real World Violence Sgt. Rory Miller

Bouncer's Guide to Barroom Brawling: Dealing with the Sucker Puncher, Streetfighter, and Ambusher. Peyton Quinn

The Little Black Book of Violence: What Every Young Man Needs to Know About Fighting. Kris Wilder, Lawrence A. Kane, Marc "Animal" MacYoung, Rory Miller, Lt. Col. John R. Finch

I recall much of these books focused on the psychological and emotional aspects of violence. Awareness, avoidance, deescalation methods, telling whether your about to get into a pride fight vs a pure violence fight, and mentally dealing with violence coming at you from one or more folks. Also legal implications. Maybe a small portion was on martial arts - usually the authors talking about stuff that does not work against a violent person intent on damaging you. I did appreciate these disucssions as they are usually not discussed much in my MMA classes. As far as mentally preparing I have appreciated my sparing classes which at times have include simulated stuff like multiple attackers throwing punches at me against a wall - even if 16 oz gloves - its unnerving for a beginner to be surrounded and punches coming at you from everywhere and nowhere to go.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Check out "Training at the Speed of Life" by Ken Murray.

Latest Discussions