Ready for Black Belt - A different perspective

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I know I'm a bit late on this one, but I think that all of you who posted your stories here are setting a shining example for the rest of us, who sometimes let ourselves down with our lack of drive.

Those of us who are fortunate enough to be physically capable should look at this young man's efforts with awe, not pity, Gemini it sounds like you have an excellent instructor, and you should be proud of your son, not to mention yourself, for putting things into perspective for the rest of us.:asian: x1000

R

rupton

Simon Curran said:
I know I'm a bit late on this one, but I think that all of you who posted your stories here are setting a shining example for the rest of us, who sometimes let ourselves down with our lack of drive.

Those of us who are fortunate enough to be physically capable should look at this young man's efforts with awe, not pity, Gemini it sounds like you have an excellent instructor, and you should be proud of your son, not to mention yourself, for putting things into perspective for the rest of us.:asian: x1000
I can't anything in answer to your question any better than some things that have already been said. I just want to say that it makes me proud we still have young practitioners with this attitude. I think he's a great example of indomitable spirit for your dojang.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That boy probably earned his black belt more than many others who have the 'ability' but lack the will. I say congratulations to him, and I dont see an issue with it, I do not expect the average 70 something year old to perform like a 20 yr old kid either, or one particular student to perform just as another. You go with what you have and seems that boy of yours demonstrated the true martial spirit, congratulations to him, the ma's need guys with hearts like your son.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
After thinking about this a long time and e-mailing a teacher who specializes in teaching MA to people with disabilities, I realized that I was being foolish. I was focusing on what the student couldn't do and forgetting what they could do. The challenge for this student wasn't in completing all of the requirements for the test, it was in completing what she could do...and working as hard as she could to make that stuff work.

:) Sir, that's what the martial arts is about. As I have stated before in different posts. There are people out there that just can't physically do all of the required material set forth but that doesn't make them any less of a student. Those with physical or mental challenges work as hard as they can and deserve to have promotions just like everyone else. If they show improvements, good spirit, dedication, and tenacity to stay in it, how are they different from others? :asian:

Latest Discussions