RBSD Instructors

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
in the uk we have as mentioned

the great Geoff thompson

along with dave turton, lee morrison, peter consterdine and many more all teaching a good rounded range of (RBSD) hard and soft skills

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
I only know about a few of the RBSD guys going around and I read very little martial type literature. I'll use Jim Wagner and Hock as examples for this point. Some of the TMA have been around for hundreds of years and were battle proven when peoples lives were at stake. People respect these styles generally as they have paid their dues so to speak. Jim Wagner and Hock (just examples remember) have been police officers, trained SWAT teams and the military and have had to test what they teach in real life situations and have developed their styles based on their experience. How is this any different to the way TMA were developed? People tend to brush off whats new as they don't see it as well tested. People also tend to be far more dubious of those that appear from American instructors than Israeli for example. Why is this? I've trained with Hock's representative in Australia and he has good stuff to teach and is very capable. I have seen some Krav Maga I find to be quite ordinary yet because its from Israel people give it more kudos. Also, how is Geoff Thompson's book any less of a marketing tool for his teachings than Jim Wagner's Black Belt articles are for his? I'm sure Geoff didn't write his book for therapeutic purposes. Just like there are many different types of restaurants to suit most peoples tastes, there are many different 'martial arts' to suit the differing needs of everyone.

Just some thoughts

Cheers
Sam:asian:

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also, how is Geoff Thompson's book any less of a marketing tool for his teachings than Jim Wagner's Black Belt articles are for his? I'm sure Geoff didn't write his book for therapeutic purposes.

You make some good points, Sam, especially in how we tend to gloss over the American MAists for the Israeli-based, or Russian-based, for example. I have also found this a gross and unfair simplification.

But regarding the Jim Wagner and Geoff Thompson comparison, I have yet to see Geoff in an all-black SWAT outfit, wearing not one but two--that's right two--firearms and who knows how many bladed weapons, sprays, stun guns, etc., posed in a boxing stance. If you possess these weapons and the legal right to use them, why risk a face off to box some idiot on the street? To me this does not inspire confidence that this person has the right kind of real world experience. Geoff on the other hand tends toward polo shirts and informal slacks or shorts, the reality of what any of us might find ourselves wearing if we ever needed to use his principles.

Oh, and Geoff does have a whole section of writings of a therapeutic nature. Part of the reality of self defense is dealing with the after effects of hurting someone so badly they'll never be the same. Or how about admitting to the world that you're a recovering alcoholic? Not much self-promotion in that kind of book or article. Anyway, just some contrasts in the two, and again, I did like many of the points you made.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Having been around the world and noticed how interested other martial artists from their own countries are interested in what American's are doing I think this type of interest is always present over something foreign. It is kind've natural to be curious about something from some place else.
icon6.gif
(it's exotic)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You make some good points, Sam, especially in how we tend to gloss over the American MAists for the Israeli-based, or Russian-based, for example. I have also found this a gross and unfair simplification.

But regarding the Jim Wagner and Geoff Thompson comparison, I have yet to see Geoff in an all-black SWAT outfit, wearing not one but two--that's right two--firearms and who knows how many bladed weapons, sprays, stun guns, etc., posed in a boxing stance. If you possess these weapons and the legal right to use them, why risk a face off to box some idiot on the street? To me this does not inspire confidence that this person has the right kind of real world experience. Geoff on the other hand tends toward polo shirts and informal slacks or shorts, the reality of what any of us might find ourselves wearing if we ever needed to use his principles.

Oh, and Geoff does have a whole section of writings of a therapeutic nature. Part of the reality of self defense is dealing with the after effects of hurting someone so badly they'll never be the same. Or how about admitting to the world that you're a recovering alcoholic? Not much self-promotion in that kind of book or article. Anyway, just some contrasts in the two, and again, I did like many of the points you made.

Absolutely! If you read Geoff's book "Watch my Back" you will find that he is far from promoting his style or classes.
Incindentally I have a signed paperback copy if anyone wants it, free to good home.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
No worries. I haven't read Geoff's book so I was making an assumption. I don't know how much of a boys club black belt mag is or how much politics goes in to selecting columnists but would they allow a chump to regularly write in their magazine? I'm just curious about Jim Wagner more than others as I am looking at gaining accreditation in his 'style' early next year and any info would be good. I have chosen his over the many others available here as I am able to use all intellectual properties relating to his organisations after I successfully complete the course and there are no monthly fees that have to be paid. You can become a paying member of his organisation and get updates etc but if you dont you can just go and do your own thing pretty much. Now I don't know if this is to get it out there or if there is a genuine interest in helping people and not wanting to rip people off. If anyone knows let me know

Cheers
Sam:asian:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've not read Black Belt mag, don't think I've ever seen it fo sale across here. I imagine there could be politics or at least martketing issues there though seems to be with magazines of all types though I think fashion ones maybe the worst lol!

Latest Discussions