Reality Based Instructors

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reading the aliveness thread, I saw some people talking about RBSD. I thought I'd start this thread to discuss thoughts on the various instructors out there as well as the training methods that they use, their thoughts and ideas on what is going to have a high percentage of working and what is not. People like Marc MacYoung, Peyton Quinn and Geoff Thompson, to name a few, seem to bring up some very good points regarding fighting and many of the myths that seem to always float around.

So, lets here it folks! Lets have some good discussion on these people!:ultracool

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps it shouldn't be reality based instuctors but reality based concepts. All martial artist believe they are teaching effective self-defense, but there is menality to those lessons that you can't learn unless you been there.

Like I pointed out in another thread (Aliveness) that the real world isn't about what only may be done to you but what you can do to them. That requires a certain level of mental development.

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I will post up a few more names of people that i admire in the realms of RBSD or RBC

geoff thompson - already mentioned, his books and short film that i have read or seen have been inspirationsl

Lee morrison - I am planning on going to his seminars in uk orarrangeing for him to come here

Hock hocheim - is coming to portugal next year, really looking forward to training with him

Dave turton - A really nice guy, very knowledgable and generous

there are many more that i have come across through forums, books, dvds and seminars

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Is this just going to turn into a load of advertising for a load of good RBSD instructors and systems??

I have read, over the years most of geoff thompsons books......I think his concept of the fence is one of the best

I think most SD systems have something similar (different names - similar concept).

I like the concept of redman and bulletman, and for getting to the adrenal response its as good as you can get without starting a fight in your local.

The pre emptive strike - A necessity in SD

The power slap - one of the best techniques i have experianced

What about the shredder from senshido - another great weapon in the armory of the combatist

a few more names

Peter constardine
southnarc
Den Martin

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
samurai69 said:
Is this just going to turn into a load of advertising for a load of good RBSD instructors and systems??

I have read, over the years most of geoff thompsons books......I think his concept of the fence is one of the best

I think most SD systems have something similar (different names - similar concept).

I like the concept of redman and bulletman, and for getting to the adrenal response its as good as you can get without starting a fight in your local.

The pre emptive strike - A necessity in SD

The power slap - one of the best techniques i have experianced

What about the shredder from senshido - another great weapon in the armory of the combatist

a few more names

Peter constardine
southnarc
Den Martin

Lol! :) I just did not want to take the time to rewrite all the info found on the website. I have read good things on the individuals posted so far.

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You guys forgot one other, Bruce Lee...

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess I just don't get the concept of anything other than "Reality Based" training. To me, that is what the term "Martial Art" means - - it works for REAL! Now, I know that there are many instructors who have had poor instruction themselves (not to criticize), and they are passing along this poor knowledge thinking it will be effective. That is not Martial Art. That is false knowledge.

Then there are those who teach things that resemeble Martial Art (IE: Tae-bo) and the instructors might know that they are teaching an exercise program that is only remotely similar to a Martial Art program, but then there are students who actually think they are learning the Martial Art when they take these classes, or watch the tapes at home. They actually believe they could defend themselves with this kind of training.

Perhaps I am missing something, and someone wiser than me can set me straight, but I have learned from instructors who always taught the Martial Art in a fashion that works in real life. I can't imagine it any other way. We learn the physics, the strategy, and effectiveness of ancient Martial Art skills of the past, and apply them to modern day situations adapting as necessary without needing to change the core knowledge.

In my opinion, "Martial Art self defense" is reality based training. Anything that is not effective in reality, is not Martial Art self defense. Any instructor who is teaching something that looks like the Martial Art, but is NOT "Reality Based," is teaching dance class or gymnastics.

Respectfully,
CM D. J. Eisenhart