Rare picture of elderly General Choi kicking

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
_20201209_114250.JPG

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
From a 2002 tournament flyer. I will see if I can find the one I took in 2000 at the IIC I hosted.

Attachments

• GC Twist Kick.jpg
    GC Twist Kick.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 145

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here it is from June 2000. Fairly certain I did not catch the kick at the Apex.

Attachments

• GCTK  June 2000.jpg
    GCTK June 2000.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 154
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It was quite rare for General Choi to do kicking demonstrations of any kind. In hundreds of hours of seminar footage and pictures, he rarely kicked himself.

There are several reasons for this but one of the obvious ones is that the head masters rarely demonstrated techniques themselves, they would have their closest student do that for them. It was in some way beneath them, which is perfectly understandable. Chois age also played a factor.

Including mr Weiss's pictures, there's a total of 4 pictures showing General Choi throwing a kick at the time of writing on the internet.

So I thought it would be a nice thing to post here.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was quite rare for General Choi to do kicking demonstrations of any kind. In hundreds of hours of seminar footage and pictures, he rarely kicked himself.

FWIW he did the kick I had the picture of each time we got to Moon Moo where it appears in that pattern. On prior occasions I did not know it was coming / did not have a camera ready. On this occasion I knew it was coming so I had it ready. He was born in 1918, so he was aware there were (and often used) younger people more physically adept to demonstrate techniques.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
FWIW he did the kick I had the picture of each time we got to Moon Moo where it appears in that pattern. On prior occasions I did not know it was coming / did not have a camera ready. On this occasion I knew it was coming so I had it ready. He was born in 1918, so he was aware there were (and often used) younger people more physically adept to demonstrate techniques.

Yes, as far as I know the twisting kick was the exception? Didn't he also do a jumping variant of it?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I remember when I started my ITF training that the instructor never demonstrated intermediate techniques himself, only the basics like straight punches and blocks and I did ask a Karate instructor why that is?

He said that in eastern culture the master either never (or almost never) demonstrate intermediate and advanced techniques, or he always demonstrates them. It's two different camps on this. And the ones who always demonstrate do that precisely because they are against the other camps philosophy

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, as far as I know the twisting kick was the exception? Didn't he also do a jumping variant of it?
I do not recall him ever jumping but my first classroom interaction was 1990 which means he would have been 72 years old.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know this for fact, My feeling is he was a great leader and good teacher, but he was never a great Martial Artist.
From listening to people talk about him in the 1970's.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know this for fact, My feeling is he was a great leader and good teacher, but he was never a great Martial Artist.
From listening to people talk about him in the 1970's.
How would you define "Great Martial Artist" ?

john_newman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't understand How he became a "Great MMA Fighter"? I heard about his great leadership and good coaching.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't understand How he became a "Great MMA Fighter"? I heard about his great leadership and good coaching.

By "He" are you referring to General Choi?

Did someone claim he was a great MMA fighter?

Are you saying that in your opinion to be a great Martial Artist you would have to be a great MMA fighter?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's very hard to interpret how to view General Choi in the history of TaeKwonDo.

As far as I can see his actions were very destructive both to himself and to the system he devised.

Had he not flirted with North Korea and had more diplomatic relations to South Korea, Chang Hon TaeKwonDo would have eventually been South Koreas main TaeKwonDo system. Instead he decided to burn all bridges and have both himself and his system of TaeKwonDo thrown out of South Korea due to his relations with North Korea.

Latest Discussions