General Choi

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A lot of people will associate Choi Hong Hi as the founder of Taekwondo because it was most likely he who submitted the name of the art. Some will even say he founded not only the ITF, but the WTF.
Taekwondo was [basically] formed by the original nine kwans (of which Choi led one of them). Additionally, the World Taekwondo Federation was not formed until after Choi was exiled.

Choi did introduce Taekwondo to the Korean military. I think his exile was plain stupid. He was very traditional and I admire him for that.

^~^

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, nothing as stupid as the politics between the 2 halves of a split country.

From what I gather, his claim to 'Father' of the art lies within the position he had to introduce it to the military and taking the decision away from the conference table.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think his exile was plain stupid. He was very traditional and I admire him for that.

^~^

Given the track record of Park, Chung Hee (the President of Korea at the time) and the fact that Gen. Choi had court martialed Chung and sentenced him to death during their time in the army I'm not so sure Gen. Choi's exile was "stupid" :) Looking at things in historical context, there was real concern for his safety, to say the least.

Pax,

Chris

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A lot of people will associate Choi Hong Hi as the founder of Taekwondo because it was most likely he who submitted the name of the art. Some will even say he founded not only the ITF, but the WTF.
Taekwondo was [basically] formed by the original nine kwans (of which Choi led one of them). Additionally, the World Taekwondo Federation was not formed until after Choi was exiled.

Choi did introduce Taekwondo to the Korean military. I think his exile was plain stupid. He was very traditional and I admire him for that.

^~^

I suggest you do a lot more research on this subject. That way you will know why he was exiled as well as his role. You contradict yourself where you say he founded the WTF and then go on to say the WTF was formed after his exhile. Not that it matters, Choi did not form the WTF.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
well, we KNOW Choi went insane before he died, Nothing else explains sine wave......
Geesh. It's not like you have to do it. It doesn't decrease power, ruin techinque etc, so fretting about it is pointless.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
well, we KNOW Choi went insane before he died, Nothing else explains sine wave......

Only your lack of understanding.

Read Bruce Lee's Secret of the one and 2 inch punch. Was he insane?

Watch how boxer's flex their knees, are they insane?

Research kinetic linking as addressed on the XMA show using computer analyzed motion capture photography. Are they insane as well?

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So you think that his exile was stupid? It was better that executing him. He was part of an attempted Coup. They failed and many were put to death. Since he was considered the "father" of tkd they exiled him and he spent the rest of his years in canada.
Get your facts straight next time.

OP
goingd

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I did NOT say that he founded the WTF. I said that there are people who say that. Kay? Read...

I think his exile was stupid. I think execution would have been stupider. I think the fact that there had to be a choice was stupid.

Sometimes I'm just amazed at the assumptions some people make on this forum. Honestly a disappointment and a turn off.

@~@

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Only your lack of understanding.

Read Bruce Lee's Secret of the one and 2 inch punch. Was he insane?

Watch how boxer's flex their knees, are they insane?

Research kinetic linking as addressed on the XMA show using computer analyzed motion capture photography. Are they insane as well?

Or perhaps it is not in fact "sine wave" that is insane, just how people in certain branches of the ITF do it (not sure if that's Choi's fault or not) and how they treat it as some sort of holy grail of power.

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Regardless of your political roots in TKD. The man did a lot towards the organization and growth of TKD in it's infancy. Still, IMO the credit as founders of TKD should go to the Kwan founders/leaders who organized and taught the art rather than the politician who used his military position to strong arm them into getting his way.

Imagine today if a military general who was second dan (many Japanese sources say first dan) in shotokan during a time of war and draft/ conscription used his position to pull your countries MA schools together under one umbrella, re-name it and send anyone who disagreed to nearly certain death on the front lines. Those who played ball with him were given very comfortable positions. How well would you like and respect this man? I've talked with GM's who were young, but there at the time and they had as much "respect" for the man as you likely would have.

No matter how Gen. Choi and his followers have twisted the recorded history, he was given an honorary 4th dan (as opposed to the legitimate rank of the original Kwan Jang Nims) for a reason. This honorary rank was also taken back because he tried to pretend it was real and demanded a higher one from the KJN of the CDK. This happened before his exile and while he still had considerable political power in South Korea and they ran newspaper stories from the time that can still be accessed and translated on the internet.

It can be argued that without his influence, the Kwan leaders would never have organized on their own and what is now TKD would never have been spread throughout the world the way it has. His methods left a bad taste in many mouths though. Regardless, he did make a contribution to the growth of the art. Just don't be surprised that many were glad to be rid of him and his influence at the time. And others today from other branches of TKD don't regard him nearly as highly as many of his followers.

OP
goingd

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It is good to learn more about him. I never felt particularly positive or negative towards him. I never liked the twisting of history which is so prevalent in so many Korean martial arts. Though, my understanding was that it was Korea's president at the time that requested the unification of the kwans.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I did NOT say that he founded the WTF. I said that there are people who say that. Kay? Read...

I think his exile was stupid. I think execution would have been stupider. I think the fact that there had to be a choice was stupid.

Sometimes I'm just amazed at the assumptions some people make on this forum. Honestly a disappointment and a turn off.

@~@

As I'm disappointed about people who would come on here state an opinoin and not back it up with any logical reasoning. "I think his exile was stupid"...Ok...so what. Why do you think that?

You are basicly taking other people's information and just blindly putting it out there with no logical thought process behind it.

Some will even say he founded not only the ITF, but the WTF.
And what do you say? By placing a statement like this on your posting you lead the read to believe that you subscribe to the same idea unless you post something to contradict the viewpoint itself or throw out some sort of question asking for feedback on the statement.

Choi did introduce Taekwondo to the Korean military. I think his exile was plain stupid. He was very traditional and I admire him for that
How do you feel he was traditional?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
General Choi was one of many people bringing TKD to the limelight. I was not in any meetings or know anything first hand, but I have talked to alot of G.M. and they have all said he was a (revolutionary in the Art of TKD), whatever that means.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
And what do you say? By placing a statement like this on your posting you lead the read to believe that you subscribe to the same idea unless you post something to contradict the viewpoint itself or throw out some sort of question asking for feedback on the statement.

Contradict the viewpoint itself? You mean like that?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Regardless of your political roots in TKD. The man did a lot towards the organization and growth of TKD in it's infancy. Still, IMO the credit as founders of TKD should go to the Kwan founders/leaders who organized and taught the art rather than the politician who used his military position to strong arm them into getting his way.

Kwan Leaders never organized and taught a single art or could even agree on a name for the most part, until after TKD became popular and they then sought to capitalize on the popularity. Yes military influence was used, and how was that different that the political influence used by the WTF and Kukkiwon. I suggest you read "A Killing Art" which chronicles the kidanppings, pressures and bribes by the WTF. But, more importantly it was much more important than influence. Gneral Choi taught his system to top Martial Artists he recruited and dispatched for demos and as instructors. This is what lead to the spread of the art.