Rapper: Blacks 'cheered when 9-11 happened'

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tkang_TKD said:
Then again I guess there is still free speech, even though I disagree with the message
The First Amendment to the United States Constitution is only required when you disagree with the message.

And, as Robert said, we all know this happened because of the gays, lesbians, and Massachusetts judges.

P

PeachMonkey

loki09789 said:
Early on, when it was more closely linked to Beat poetry, free verse instead of "kill da Man" Rap was more respected as an art formand authentic as an art form....now, it definitely ain't that.

All commentary on KRS-One's statements aside, I think it's best not to claim to understand hip-hop if you don't.

You probably don't mean it to come off this way, but attempting to link rap to Beat poetry is a particularly ethnocentric way to try and claim credit for its origins. Hip-hop has its roots far deeper in dancehall Reggae and jazz.

The so-called "kill da Man" rap is also usually misunderstood, and is primarily a commercial form of hip-hop that appeals as widely to suburban white kids as it does to anyone else. It's only one small subgenre of the art-form as a whole.

T

Tkang_TKD

michaeledward said:
The First Amendment to the United States Constitution is only required when you disagree with the message.
Of course :) That keeps those of us that disagree from opressing the views :)

And, as Robert said, we all know this happened because of the gays, lesbians, and Massachusetts judges.
Ironically enough, I was more offended by that statement when Pat Roberts (Or who ever...I'm not a religious man) made it.

What I truly find ironic (and forgive me for my stereotyping here...), is that the very decadence (i.e. mo money, bling bling, etc...) of the rap lifestyle seems to be what is amongst those things that make us as a nation hated. I could be wrong though... :idunno:

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
Not able to speak for anyone else but my point is that if he is truly this 'thoughtful' then why is it that he can't recognize that this 'us and them' mentallity is just a reactionary 'hate the hater' type of attitude that turns you into the very thing that jaded him/her/'them'
Well, that's why I said I was stunned...

KRS may be a positive role model "within the rap music community" but IMO, that really isn't a high bar to get over in the current day. He has not chosen to take the high road and live up to an ideal so much as simply say "fair for them, fair for me."
a positive role model is a positive role model. I'm not sure what you are implying. Oh wait, yes I am - people who listen to hip-hop are of low character. that's your prejudice.

+++++++

i have no sypathy for anyone, white or black, that is going to say, "they wont let us black folk in because of the way we talk or dress". give me break man. if they had any legitimate business there, im quite sure they would have been allowed entrance into the WTC. so for this guy to say, "thats what you get for discriminating against me", and condoning the attacks and murder of U.S. citizens, sorry man, thats just wrong!

if it's not for the money, why else would he come out to make these statements? regardless if you or anyone else feels the same way he does, its EXPOSURE. its simple business marketing: EXPOSURE SELLS PRODUCT.

i could care less if he's black, white, red, yellow, blue or whatever else color. what he says is blatantly un-American.
Well, I never said anyone should have sympathy for him. I didn;t say what he said was not wrong.

We know you think it was apublicity stunt to get exposure,. You said that in your previuos post. Why are you asking me why he said it. I already told you why I think he said it. So stop asking me the same question that I already answered. Respond to my point: if this is just a tactic to sell records, who are the people that respond to it, and why do THEY think that way? Forget aobut KRS - who is he (supposedly) pandering to, if that is in fact what he is doing (which I don't agree he is but for the sake of argument...)

See here's a typical internet argument tactic in play again: "repeat your position as many times as necessary. Ignore any other points." Don't be that guy , Sapper, nobody likes that guy.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
ok david, however you see it. i dont give a rat's *** why he made the statement. i could care less if he was a hip-hop artist or a damn Yanni wannabe.

get off your racial soapbox and stop claiming racial and stereotypical indifference. nobody gives a damn. he made very un-American remarks condoning an attack on the country in which you live. it's amazing just seeing you defend the slimeball dirtbag, buy hey, like you said, you're a big fan :rolleyes:

nobody here was implying that hip-hop fans are of lower human equality, like you accused of loki of doing.

as far as me repeating statement over and again, and avoiding other points:

are there other points i should take into consideration...? LOL

i'd feel the exact same way if it were someone like say, Billy Joel, if he were to make those comments. make you feel better...? :rolleyes:

you keep saying WE are racists with prejudice...? your boy KRS brought it up in his reasoning why we made those statements, not us.

get over it. its not about race, prejudice, human equality, or anything related to such nonsense. it's about a popular so-called "role-model" musician saying it's OK to kill a couple thousand innocent Americans because "they didnt let us in the building because the way we dress and talk."

go enjoy your KRS cds :asian:

EDIT:

See here's a typical internet argument tactic in play again: "repeat your position as many times as necessary. Ignore any other points." Don't be that guy , Sapper, nobody likes that guy.

thanks for the heads-up. im not here to be liked, im not that insecure :ultracool

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Quote from KRS:

"Voting in a corrupt society adds more corruption," he added. "America has to commit suicide if the world is to be a better place."

hey, he is a damn good role model isnt he david :rolleyes:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MT MOD NOTE:

Please keep the discussion polite and respectful...

Cool off, everyone.

-Nightingale-
MT MODERATOR

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jay Bell said:
Knight Ridder Newspapers
Oct. 14, 2004 03:08 PM

If Osama bin Laden ever buys a rap album, he'll probably start with a CD by KRS-One.

The hip-hop anarchist has declared his solidarity with al-Qaida by asserting that he and other African-Americans "cheered when 9-11 happened," reports the New York Daily News.

The rapper, real name Kris Parker, defiled the memory of those who died in the terrorist attacks as he spouted off at a recent New Yorker Festival panel discussion. advertisement

"I say that proudly," the Boogie Down Productions founder went on, insisting that, before the attack, security guards kept Blacks out of the World Trade Center "because of the way we talk and dress.

"So when the planes hit the building, we were like, 'Mmmm - justice.' "

The atrocity of 9-11 "doesn't affect us the hip-hop community," he said. "9-11 happened to them, not us," he added, explaining that by "them" he meant "the rich ... those who are oppressing us. RCA or BMG, Universal, the radio stations."

Parker also sneered at efforts by other rappers to get young people to vote.

"Voting in a corrupt society adds more corruption," he added. "America has to commit suicide if the world is to be a better place."
Part of me is saying this isn't surprising but I'm still disappointed to no end.
I work at a furniture store and in the warehouse there are a bunch of young guys who listen to rap/hip-hop basically all day. I try studiously to avoid it because (personally), I think it's a waste of black singing talent... wait.. they don't even sing at all... anyway listening (or trying NOT to), all I hear is a bunch of cussing and angry rhetoric about how bad things are.
Some of those guys tried to get me to "listen to what they're saying" but I canna understand any of it except for the mutha-f---er every other sentence.
Either way, whatever this guys' motive (jeez can't they use their real names??) whether to make "a statement" or to make money or whatever.. he's not promoting good values at all.
There were just as many blacks that died that horrible day as whites. Makes me want to ask him.. "and your point?" Justice he says... justice on what?? White oppression? Geez, we have a black 5 star general, we got more black millionares than ever before, we got black professors teaching at Harvard and other ivy leauges... what justice... damn, you don't have enough?
Sigh... pure ignorance makes people say things like what that guy said.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Careful, I said the same thing a while back and got called a racist for it.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
Careful, I said the same thing a while back and got called a racist for it.

i certainly understand your point. i wonder who's more racist these days, blacks or whites. you've gotta think that when "prominent" black folks like KRS make silly statements like that, it makes you wonder if they are the only ones still harboring ill feelings toward the whole issue. they just wont let the topic die, but that's definately a topic i wont touch :asian:

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-I think someone else posted somewhere that a big problem with the youth in the U.S., as far as rap/hip-hop music is concerned, is that the exposure of that music is limited to what is heard or seen on popular radio stations and t.v. channels like MTV, BET, etc. What makes this music so appealing, besides the fact that the youth may listen to nothing else? There exists more than one reason. They see a lifestyle that is glamorized by the media and the stars of today, a lifestyle that they don't have, but want very badly. Most people hate not having something they want, to the point that they will do something to get it. That could be a good thing, or it could be a bad thing.

-Is there some more basic cause, some underlying human characteristic that could be to blame? I think the one word that could sum it all up is competition. Humans love to be better than everyone else. We want to have what others do not, or cannot have...sorry, got distracted by chinese food...I'll be back.

A---)

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Movies, TV and video games take the brunt of the blame when it comes to violence in our society.

Somehow rap/hip-hop culture doesn't have as much of that stigma stick to it. Strange.....

P

PeachMonkey

Tgace said:
Somehow rap/hip-hop culture doesn't have as much of that stigma stick to it. Strange.....

I'm genuinely curious about how you came up with this notion. Rap and hip-hop culture are blamed for ALL KINDS of things, from violence against women to the war on drugs to gang violence disrespect for our elders to...

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Im not really referring to the media. Just that in many studies/books Ive read (like Grossmans "On Killing") movies and video games (visual media in general) seem to be a popular tool to explain "violence programming" these days. Music dosent seem to have had as much clinical acceptance as such....yes parents and groups have been complaining about music lyrics for a while now, it just dosent seem to catch as much acceptance.

R

rmcrobertson

Geez louise, I love capitalism. Ever' damn thing's for sale--race, hip-hop, criticism, the so-called revolution.

And I love patriarchy--watching guys slap dicks over mere politics.

Und so weiter, let's hear it for blaming rappers for all the problems of our society. Me, I was raised on Tennessee Ernie Ford, country & western...drinking, fightin' violence, anger, and D-I-V-O-R-C-E wall to wall.

But hey, drop kick me Jesus through the goalposts of life. My achy-breaky heart can't stand it. Bring me whisky for my men, beer for my horses.

P

PeachMonkey

Tgace said:
Im not really referring to the media. Just that in many studies/books Ive read (like Grossmans "On Killing") movies and video games (visual media in general) seem to be a popular tool to explain "violence programming" these days.

Grossman's book, as I'm sure you realize, was about a particular thesis... and though I don't fully agree with it, I think there's a much closer, demonstrable relationship between many types of violent video games and classic techniques for breaking down willingness to kill and do harm than there is between music and violence.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-Or ya know, the total lack of education concerning whats right and wrong, good and bad behavior. Blame video games, music videos, violent movies...well, I think there is a formula here. Good parenting plus growing kids equal good citizens. (Yes, I realize thats really general.) There are a lot more variables that will show up on a case by case basis. Take good parenting out of the equation, and add violent games, movies, music, etc, plus growing kids which equals ??? With a country so bent on being unified and diversified, its no wonder there really doesn't exist standards in terms of values and morals anymore. Though I could be babbling...

A---)

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've worked as a correctional officer in residential settings with adjudicated (convicted) youth for a little over 11 years now. I've been a counselor for same as well. I've cared on a daily basis for thousands of youth who were habitual criminals for some time...
PARENTS!!!
Does MTv have a role to play? Sure. They promote the gang culture, I should say that they promote and 'market' it. It pervades the youth culture. If they aren't into "rap"...then its Metal or death metal as some call it... in which death and the chaotic are pushed forward...or again; marketed.
These are "Negative influences", but they don't have one iota the amount of impact that the parents have!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was an 'intake officer' I'd recieve the youth fresh from the streets where they had just commited and been caught in a crime. I'd get them right from the hands of the arresting officer and question them. (Remember Hawaii five O', "Book'm Dano"....I was Dano to these boys) Anyway, I'd get out the file on a particular youth and find that it would be so huge that multiple files were needed to contain their rap-sheet and info...I'd hear their sorry stories and excuses and I'd think "Damn kid, you're messing up HARD. What gives." Then I'd call the parents/guardians and I'd find out 'what gives'. I'd meet the 'folks' and they'd be every bit as bad as the kid...if not worse. Then I'd think..."Kid, you may have done the best you could with what you were given". I recall one time when a mother of five came in for the 'immediate family counseling' that I offered through our office for the families of the youth that came through our dept. She was angry at me (the system) for harrassing her son for having "Only stabbed the other boy once." Besides, she reasoned, the other boy had disrespected her son's 'Set'. ((gang sub-group)) So he obviously deserved what he got!!
OH..and the stabbing wasn't just some little 'pencil poke', and it wasn't just once but seven times...and it had been done with a hot soldering iron!
Nice kid.

Sorry to preach here, but there are LOTS of contributers to the wayward direction of a good portion of the young population. LOTS.
MTV, the 60s/70s drug culture, Gangs, a government/school districts and police deptartments/judges who underestimate the severity of the need and fool themselves completely as to what should be done!!!!!!!!!
LOTS:
But the single BIGGES determinant of "will child "A" be a criminal" is THE PARENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hands down!

((I could go on, but I'm starting to get worked up here))
Your Brother (and theirs)
John

Latest Discussions