Rank Stripes or no Rank Stripes?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which do you prefer on BB's? Do you like the look of it? Do you consider it "showy"? Does your school/organization use them?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use small 1/8 inch stripes on my belt
I have another belt with 1/2 inch stripes
anything larger looks ugly to me

and I only hav them on one end of the belt not both

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We use stripes on both ends of the belt. Most BB's have them custom made, some with their name in Japanese lettering.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The stripes just help signify where people are at. Nothing much more than that. I seen people a lot higher in rank than me that wasn't worth a ****. Then I've also seen the other end as well. Some people are just naturally talented and have come across some individuals that were awesome fighters and martial artists with less rank than me. It's nothing more than a guideline.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We've started using black stripes on black belts, not at the tip but closer to the middle, so the stripes are on the front of the hip. It reminds me of that old bumper sticker "if you are close enough to read this..."

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I prefer to see the stripes So I know when I first meet them what to expect from there level of knowledge.

V/R

Rick

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Our school uses stripes for black belts except for 1st dan. I like them, it lets the students know who is high rank. We don't seem to have an ego issue in our school so that doesn't apply. Plus I think it looks cool too, just an opinion from a red belt.

On an off topic, we also use stripes (colored electrical tape) on our color belts. The idea is once you learn your material for your next belt test, you "challenge" (prove it to the instructor) and you get a stripe. It helps the instructors know what everybody stands and what everybody needs to work on.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have 1/4" stripes, embroidered on both ends. We have alot of black belts now, seven second dans (six within the last year when the requirements got easier), two thirds (also within the last year) just in our own dojang. Those stripes have gotten devalued as the second test has become the same as a 1st dan test and the third like the second. Makes for alot of substitute teachers though as black belts are required to teach one hour each week (not paid) = master has more free time. TW

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
Which do you prefer on BB's? Do you like the look of it? Do you consider it "showy"? Does your school/organization use them?

I have them on both sides of my belt. I think it looks nice. My 1st degree belt also had Japanese writing on one side.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No stripes on BB's. Only stripes we use are for kyu grades...

Sankyu = brown w/ 1 black stripe
Nikyu = brown w/2
Ikkyu = brown w/3

$.02

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like a belt without stripes, myself. I think its because my 1st instructor didn't have any on his belt (& he was a 6th Dan). I don't think there's anything wrong with stripes. I just like the idea of wearing the same belt regardless of degree rank.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We don't use stripes on our belts; I don't see a need for it. It doesn't bother me to see other schools / systems doing it though.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the class I attend we don't have stripes, although it states the rank in smaller letters near the name. It doesn't bother me if there's something that indicates rank.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have stripes, which is fine. It helps identify seniors easier and as mentioned above, can then be used as a guideline as to what you should be able to expect. Reality varies.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, This part is usually up the Owners/Teachers/Instructors who runs the schools and may want everyone to follow what they want on there uniforms and belts.

Is it really that important to have stripes showing? Most of the students in class will know who has been there a long time?

Our stripes are embroider on , along with chinese charcters, very small and hard to notice how many stripes.

If you school require you too? put stripes..then you must follow.

For those who have the option? ...your choice? ....one stripe or 10..does it matter if it is or not on the belt? .......Aloha

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have several belts - one is plain; one has stripes (association standard; I-III Dan white [or I Dan, plain], IV-VI Dan gold, VII-IX Dan red, to indicate Master status), and one has my name and a Roman numeral IV on it; the latter 2 are gifts from my instructor. I usually wear the one with stripes when I teach; I keep the one with my name on it for events, where other people might not know my name, so they can see it - the letters are pretty big, and visible from a reasonable distance, in case someone is looking for me.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rick Wade said:
I prefer to see the stripes So I know when I first meet them what to expect from there level of knowledge.

V/R

Rick

Which is why I like just the red trim around my belt. No upfront preconceptions. This way I can play and work with people and possible learn without people thinking they have nothing to teach me. :D

We use, like I said, a little red trim around the outside of the belt for your second level of blac belt, and just keep that trim for ever.

Latest Discussions