a new art for shao

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, circumstances screwed me pretty hard and I ended up leaving my home in Pennsylvania to join my family in California. To continue on as a Ying Jow Pai student is unrealistic as I no longer have a car. But nearby me in Fairfield is a Tracy's Kenpo school.. What do you guys think... Would it be good for this kung fu fanatic?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Welcome to California.

As a Tracy's person myself, I think it can certainly be good, but I have my own mixed feelings about it.

As a kung fu guy myself, there is a lot of kung fu in California, but I don't know what might be in the Fairfield area. Look around, you might not find the same style, but you might find something that strikes your interest. You are still fairly close to the San Francisco Bay Area, I would think there might be something in your neck of the woods.

If you swing on down thru San Francisco sometime, feel free to look me up.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Personally, I know squat about Kenpo. However, any training is better than no training, right? If I were you, in artistic limbo as it were, I think that I'd take the opportunity to sample whatever is reasonably convenient, and table the decision until I had more information.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Trying something new can be good? Open the mind on how other people train in there martial arts.. Learning Kempo will open this new world for you? Try it? You can always go back to Kung-fu?

One day you may face a Kempo person? at least you will know how they use there martial arts? vs Kung-fu?

When you become a instructor? ...more knowledge will make you a better person.

At the same time? the more things seem different? ...the more they are the same? Study this? .....Aloha

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
kenpo has a lot of similar motion and history with kung fu. this is especially true of the tracy branch. i'm very fond of kenpo, though it has its limitations and downsides just like everything else.

it's also important to remember that the instructor and the culture of the school are far, far more important than the specific style taught.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
Well, circumstances screwed me pretty hard and I ended up leaving my home in Pennsylvania to join my family in California. To continue on as a Ying Jow Pai student is unrealistic as I no longer have a car. But nearby me in Fairfield is a Tracy's Kenpo school.. What do you guys think... Would it be good for this kung fu fanatic?

Welcome to California! I live in Sacramento.

Go for it! I think you will do very well there and, politics aside, I believe it is a good style. Best of luck.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:

Although I'm not from CA., it seems to me that its 'the' place to be as far as Martial Arts goes. There are a ton of Kenpo people, FMA people, grapplers, and I'm sure the list could go on and on.

Not sure whats around you in your area, but you don't have anything to lose if you check out the Kenpo school. I agree with Flatlander...any training is better than no training.

Check it out! Let us know what you decide!:)

Mike

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I concur with those that say look about first. I also believe some training is < no training.

Latest Discussions