When you get a degree black belt is it a new belt or do they add stripes?

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So let's say you were a 2nd Dan in Taekwondo then ranked to 3rd Dan. Do you get a whole new belt or do they some how add stripes?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on local traditions.

I've studied in one place that had no embroidery at all; you got your 1st Dan and wore it forever, regardless of further promotions.
This was a Japanese art, though, and it's been my observation that Japanese systems like the look of an old, worn belt. It's supposedly shows you've been wearing it a long time. Either that, or you bleached it and put it in the dryer with some rocks.

I seen places that add stripes as you promote, but I personally don't care for this look. New embroidery on an old ratty belt just looks weird to me.

The system we are with now is a new belt per promotion school.

Just as it seems to me that Japanese arts like the old faded look, Korean arts tend to think you look best with a nice clean crisp dobak and a belt to match. I've met/seen very few Korean Masters who wore old, faded belts. GM LEE, Kyu-Hyung is the only one I can think of, off hand.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Depends on local traditions.

I've studied in one place that had no embroidery at all; you got your 1st Dan and wore it forever, regardless of further promotions.
This was a Japanese art, though, and it's been my observation that Japanese systems like the look of an old, worn belt. It's supposedly shows you've been wearing it a long time. Either that, or you bleached it and put it in the dryer with some rocks.

I seen places that add stripes as you promote, but I personally don't care for this look. New embroidery on an old ratty belt just looks weird to me.

The system we are with now is a new belt per promotion school.

Just as it seems to me that Japanese arts like the old faded look, Korean arts tend to think you look best with a nice clean crisp dobak and a belt to match. I've met/seen very few Korean Masters who wore old, faded belts. GM LEE, Kyu-Hyung is the only one I can think of, off hand.

Thanks for your answer! Very Helpful

-Julian

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
when I tested for 2nd Dan in TKD, I thought I would have
a new belt to go with the new rank - but it turns out my
dojang adds stripes to your original black belt and - honestly -
I like it.. I'm currently training for my 3rd Dan, but I've always
believed the belt to be a bi-product of the work.. and my
belt sure looks the part! ..well broken in, faded and full of sweat.. :)

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
when I tested for 2nd Dan in TKD, I thought I would have
a new belt to go with the new rank - but it turns out my
dojang adds stripes to your original black belt and - honestly -
I like it.. I'm currently training for my 3rd Dan, but I've always
believed the belt to be a bi-product of the work.. and my
belt sure looks the part! ..well broken in, faded and full of sweat.. :)

Ha awesome:) thanks for ur answer

-Julian

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think that's the main answer for most things. Depends on the club even clubs of the style will rarely do things exactly 100% the same as every other club. Every instructor has their own ways or their own idea

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My old organization gave us a new belt with every dan promotion. My current organization embroiders a new stripe on the old belt.

I think keeping the old belt is better. Not because it looks all beat up and people think that means you're a badass, but because it's the belt that you wear forever. Or at least until it's too destroyed or doesn't fit anymore.

High ranking black belts get a new "ceremonial" belt with promotions, commensurate with their rank - black with red, red with black, etc. Those belts are only worn for formal stuff like promotional testing, seminars, special workouts, etc. They wear their regular black belt during day in and day out stuff.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In Judo, most folks just wear a black belt, don't bother with stripes until they get the red and white. I have seen belts with the club name on one end and the owner's last name on the other, belts with stripes, without, instructors who always wear their red and white, instructors who only wear the red and white on special occasions. As long as you only wear a white gi (blue is acceptable if you are a competitor).

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The variety of embroidery is also interesting.
In our school, Dan holders have belts that vary a fair bit...
My own is an Eosin Panther double sided with my name on one end and "Taekwondo Moo Duk Kwan" on the other. The other side has the same thing in Hangul.
The others all have single sided, but of varying widths. Some of the wider ones have two rows of embroidery on each end, so one end might have their name and rank (in addition to the stripes) and the other might have the art and the name of our KJN (older belts) or Master.
When my wife was recently awarded her 1st Dan, our Master got an old belt from me and had it embroidered. One end has her name and Moo Duk Kwan (although it's not a wide belt... smallish font...) and his name with the date it was awarded on the other.
Our Master did me the very great honor of suggesting that my name should be on it instead of his, but I declined. It's his school, after all.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The variety of embroidery is also interesting.
In our school, Dan holders have belts that vary a fair bit...
My own is an Eosin Panther double sided with my name on one end and "Taekwondo Moo Duk Kwan" on the other. The other side has the same thing in Hangul.
The others all have single sided, but of varying widths. Some of the wider ones have two rows of embroidery on each end, so one end might have their name and rank (in addition to the stripes) and the other might have the art and the name of our KJN (older belts) or Master.
When my wife was recently awarded her 1st Dan, our Master got an old belt from me and had it embroidered. One end has her name and Moo Duk Kwan (although it's not a wide belt... smallish font...) and his name with the date it was awarded on the other.
Our Master did me the very great honor of suggesting that my name should be on it instead of his, but I declined. It's his school, after all.

Thanks for answering

-Julian

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So let's say you were a 2nd Dan in Taekwondo then ranked to 3rd Dan. Do you get a whole new belt or do they some how add stripes?
That depends. In some cases it depends upon the local tradition, as some schools/organizations present a new belt with the promotion. In other cases, it depends upon the individual. Some folks like their worn-out belts - it can feel like an old friend who's been through a lot with you - so they add a stripe and keep wearing it. Others like to start a new belt, especially if theirs is starting to look like they got caught in a thread-spooling machine. Personally, I've just kept my original one. Since I wear hakama most of the time, my belt has staid fairly new-looking (looks less worn than some guys who've had theirs 1/3 as long), so I prefer to keep it and watch it slowly age.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That depends. In some cases it depends upon the local tradition, as some schools/organizations present a new belt with the promotion. In other cases, it depends upon the individual. Some folks like their worn-out belts - it can feel like an old friend who's been through a lot with you - so they add a stripe and keep wearing it. Others like to start a new belt, especially if theirs is starting to look like they got caught in a thread-spooling machine. Personally, I've just kept my original one. Since I wear hakama most of the time, my belt has staid fairly new-looking (looks less worn than some guys who've had theirs 1/3 as long), so I prefer to keep it and watch it slowly age.

Ooh. Thanks:)!! :):)):)

-Julian

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
In our school every time you get promoted to a higher Dan you get a new belt. By the time you get promoted up a Dan your old belt would be worn out

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In our school every time you get promoted to a higher Dan you get a new belt. By the time you get promoted up a Dan your old belt would be worn out

Dang that's crazy. I woundn't want a black belt that faded white haha. I go for my 1st degree soon and I'm sure my master won't explain it so thanks.

-Julian

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang that's crazy. I woundn't want a black belt that faded white haha. I go for my 1st degree soon and I'm sure my master won't explain it so thanks.

-Julian
No, he likely won't explain it then. But someone will - either you'll learn it from someone who has made 2nd dan or higher, or you'll be told when you are getting close to 2nd dan.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

-Julian

Why wouldn't he explain it? Is it some highly guarded secret?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't he explain it? Is it some highly guarded secret?
Pretty much any instructor will answer that question if asked. Most, at that point (student getting shodan) won't bother to talk about nidan procedures unless someone asks the question. I can't imagine it would occur to me at that point to discuss it.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pretty much any instructor will answer that question if asked. Most, at that point (student getting shodan) won't bother to talk about nidan procedures unless someone asks the question. I can't imagine it would occur to me at that point to discuss it.

I think it's probably more of a thing where the teacher assumes everyone knows the protocol rather than discussing it with everyone individually.

My former school issued a new belt at each promotion. My current one embroiders a new stripe on the old belt. About 3 months after I started, 3 people promoted to nidan and sandan. The belt looked the same, so I asked. No one looked at me weirdly or thought it was an inappropriate question, including my CI.

Latest Discussions