Rank required for olympics

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
What rank (dan, degree) of black belt do you need to go to the olympics? Please forgive my ignorence on this subject as I know nothing about olympic tkd (Im a black belt in a non olympic style) , and a mate asked me about this and I had no idea. Also, do they wear dans on their belts in the olympics and are there instances where someone may get promoted 'quickly' so as to achieve the required rank if they have a real talent? Also , are most of the competotors people who have done tkd since a young age or do some people start in their late teens (for instance) and make it to the olmpics?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am also sure they the USOC will make sure an athlete that had the talent would be certified.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
All that is required, skill level and placing on the world scene aside, is that you have a first dan Kukkiwon to be eligible to compete in the olympic games.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also, do they wear dans on their belts in the olympics and are there instances where someone may get promoted 'quickly' so as to achieve the required rank if they have a real talent? Also , are most of the competotors people who have done tkd since a young age or do some people start in their late teens (for instance) and make it to the olmpics?

Most international competitors do not wear dan stripes.

Quick promotion? Well, I don't know about that because it takes years of training but if the country's NGB found out the competitor did not have a 1st dan thru Kukkiwon, I'm sure they'd arrange for it quickly.

Yes, in the US, most of the competitors started very young and have competed for a number of years.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
What rank (dan, degree) of black belt do you need to go to the olympics? Please forgive my ignorence on this subject as I know nothing about olympic tkd (Im a black belt in a non olympic style) , and a mate asked me about this and I had no idea. Also, do they wear dans on their belts in the olympics and are there instances where someone may get promoted 'quickly' so as to achieve the required rank if they have a real talent? Also

Dan stripes are not required at the Olympics and are not really supposed to be on the belts of WTF/Kukkiwon certified taekwondo blackbelts. That issue was stressed at the Kukkiwon master instructor seminar in Chicago, in October, by one of the top Kukkiwon officials. He said the only "decorations" that are kosher on a blackbelt are the names of the practioner, and maybe name of the dojang. I think, and I may be wrong, that the the Dan striping done by many WTF Taekwondo blackbelts. especially in the U.S., was lifted from a branch of Karate.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In regards to "quick promotion" for a talented athlete, it has happened with a gold medalist in the US. Arlene Limas was a Kung Fu student & very accomplished on the open tournament circuit in the US. She made the switch to TKD, was made a 1st Dan KKW in quick order (although I don't know her timeline) & she won gold in '88.

I know there was a lawsuit before the '88 Olympics over her case, but I'm not sure of the issues involved. She now runs a TKD school in D.C. & is also lawyer.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In regards to "quick promotion" for a talented athlete, it has happened with a gold medalist in the US. Arlene Limas was a Kung Fu student & very accomplished on the open tournament circuit in the US. She made the switch to TKD, was made a 1st Dan KKW in quick order (although I don't know her timeline) & she won gold in '88.

I know there was a lawsuit before the '88 Olympics over her case, but I'm not sure of the issues involved. She now runs a TKD school in D.C. & is also lawyer.
She is a great coach and a really nice person!!!!!!