rank progression rate

Cronarct

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
so i was wondering how fast/slow many of you progressed through the rank systems... here is my rank system for my dojo and the dojos around me that are all linked together

white
yellow
orange
blue
green
purple
brown 3 white stripes
brown 2 white stripes
brown 1 white stripe

and then we go into Dans

Shodan - black with 1 white stripe
Nidan - black with 2 white stripes
Sandan - black with 3 white stripes
Yodan - red and black with 1 white stripe
Godan - red and black with 2 white stripes
Rokyudan - red and white with 1 stripe
Shichidan - red and white with 2 stripes
Hachidan - red and white with 3 stripes
Kudan - solid red with 1 white stripe
Judan - solid red with 2 white stripes (this is our top degree)

now for us our beginners are considered white and yellow belts, once u have the very basics down you progress from white to yellow (usually around 3-5 months depending on the student) then yellow to orange is around another 6 months... after that i think its like a 8-12 month difference between belts... some people say we go through the lower ranks 2 fast but we also never award a belt to someone who doesn't deserve it and trust me our test are EXTREAM! and we have an amazing master who personally teaches ALL of the classes offered at our dojo with the aid of those ranked brown belt and above. personally i love our ranking/dan system because you can always tell who tries their best every lesson and who doesn't... we don't do pity promotions like some dojos do for the small children who train there.

also my specific style is the KarateJutsu system called Eugue Ryu its has basic protective self defense Karate at the core and has allot of jujitsu moves added in.

once we hit orange belt our "real" basic training begins, we move to the intermediate class and train with harder and more difficult moves... our intermediate stages is orange belt through - green belt, and advanced stages is purple belt and above.

we are also a traditional school pretty much, VERY VERY disciplined, we always bow when needed (greating a higher rank, to the master, to the aids, to our training partner, while entering and exiting the dojo, while entering and exiting the matted training area, while entering and exiting masters office, and so on) we also train very seriously there is absolutely no slacking what so ever, if one person makes a mistake, that person and all of those ranked above them is punished with extra workout because it is considered our job to make sure lower ranks are always acting and training properly.

anyways thanks for your time and any future replies i get :)

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for posting and welcom to MT,

Most people in the martial arts earn their black belt after 3-8 years of training.

I studied Shaolin Kempo Karate and this is the average breakdown:

White
Yellow
Orange
Purple
Blue
Blue W/Green Stripe
Green
Green W/Brown Stripe
Brown W/1 Black Stripe
Brown W/2 Black Stripes
Brown W/3 Black Stripes
Junior Black (if under 18 Years old)
Black Belt (10 degrees determined by Red Stripes)

Time Breakdown:

White to Orange: 3-5 Months
Orange to Purple: 6-9 Months
Purple to Blue: 9-12 Months
Blue to Blue W/Stripe: 6-9 Months
Blue W/Stripe to Green: 6-9 Months
Green to Green with Stripe: 9-12 Months
Brown to Brown W/2 Stripes: 12-15 Months
Brown W/2 Stripes to Brown W/3 Stripes: 12-15 Months
Brown W/3 Stripes to Black: 12-15 Months

Average time in SKK (Shaolin Kempo Karate) : 5 1/2 Years - 8 3/4 Years

Although I have known people to complete this process "early" 3-4 Years
and I have seen others take up to 10+ years. It really depends on the person and the amount of time training and in the Dojo/Dojang.
I personally took 4 1/2 years to go from white belt in 1993
to Shodan (1st Black - 1997)
and then another 2 years to Nidan (2nd Black - 1999)
I took a Hiatus from 2001-2006 and then have been teaching
weekly classes since. I have the opportunity to test next month for
Sandan (3rd Dan) although I might wait until early next year.

I hope this helps

Chris

OP
C

Cronarct

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
it would seam like our progression rate between ur style and mine are fairly close so thats good to hear... i still want other people's info though lol

OP
C

Cronarct

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
anyone have more imput? i just want to know on average how long it takes to go from one belt to the next and from white-black... or just tell me what you think of my style's ranking system

please reply i would REALLY appreciate any input on this matte

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your rank system sounds ok. Rank should be an indication of skill and spirit, but never underestimate a white belt. It can be a painful lesson to learn :wink2:

Wado Ryu:

Rank goes:
White
Red
Yellow
Orange
Green
Blue
Purple
Brown
Brown 2nd (1/3 black)
Brown 3rd (half black)
Black (no stripes. It is common to order a very high quality belt and never replace it)

A dedicated student can go from white to orange in one year, go trough green and blue in another and spend one year betwen gradings from then on. 7 years total for 1. dan, very hard to do it faster unless you have trained in a relevant system earlier. There are not many who use much longer either because it takes hard study to make it. Higher dan gradings take very long to prepare for.

Ju Jutsu:

Rank goes:
White
Yellow stripe (recently removed from the system)
Yellow
Orange
Green
Blue
Purple (recently removed from the system)
Brown
Black
(red/black, red/white and solid red belts at the higher Dan levels)

Advancement used to be pretty much at the same rate as in Wado but there are fewer ranks. A hard working student can make it to black in a minimum of five years, average is 6-7 I guess. The one who took the longest was an old tough guy who used 10 years and graded at 70, very impressive in my opinion. 2nd dan take two years if you go for it.

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Isshin-Ryu (not the same from dojo to dojo):

White (beginner)
Orange (took me about 4 months)
Green (took me about 8 additional months)
Blue (took me about 8 additional months)
Brown (not earned yet)
Black (not earned yet)

All in all, I will have two years at my dojo as of September. With some luck and some hard work, I may earn my brown belt more or less right at the 2 year mark. After that, I am told it's about five years - more or less - to black belt. So from white belt to black belt, seven years is not unrealistic at my dojo. Might take some more time, others less. But I believe that's about average. I probably tend towards the slower end of the progression scale. Then of course there are the Dan ranks. I doubt I'll live long enough to get very high in those ranks, but I'll do my best.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
According to the IBJJF, these are the official rules for belt promotion: http://www.ibjjf.org/graduation.htm

There is some deviation. Most schools (although not every school) have the following basic structure:

Kids:
White
Yellow
Orange
Green
Blue

Blue belt is considered essentially the black belt for a kid. Technically, a child shouldn't be eligible for blue belt until he or she is 16 years old and if he or she earns a blue belt, it should be legit.

Typically what happens is the child gets to a point where he or she is big enough physically and mature enough to join the adults class, and then wears whatever colored belt they have until they reach blue as an adult.

Adults:
White
Blue
Purple
Brown
Black
Black/Red (7th and 8th degree)
Red (9th and 10th Degree)

White to Blue usually takes between 1 to 2 years, with between 1 to 3 years between the rest of the belts. The official rules are at least 2 years between blue to purple, 1 1/2 years between purple and brown and 1 year from brown to black. But these aren't firm. BJ Penn is a well known exception to these rules, going from purple to black belt in a very, very short period of time.

There are several Black/Red belts, and only a couple of Red belts. 10th Degree red belt is a rank that should never be reached again. Helio was the last 10th degree.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan
These are my own times to progress. I don't think I can really speak for "averages" in this school, since I've only been training there for 14 months. I do know that I am progressing faster than average, and attribute this to having prior experience and also to putting in what I think is more than an average amount of time and effort outside the dojang.

White (10th geup) to Yellow (9th geup) - 1 month
Yellow to green stripe (8th geup) - 2 months
Green stripe to Green (7th geup) - 2 months
Green to blue stripe (6th geup) - 2 months
Blue stripe to Blue (5th geup) - 2 months
Blue to red stripe (4th geup) - 2 months
Red stripe to Red (3rd geup) - 3 months

I had hoped to be ready to test for 2nd geup in October, but that's not going to happen at this point, although I hope to be able to handle a light workout in a couple weeks.

In the time I've been with this school, I would say that 3-6 months seems to be average for the lower (4th geup and below) ranks, longer for higher ranks.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Let me think…

Rank Progression rate

Of the last 4 styles I have trained it is like this

Xingyiquan….hmmm… no belt ranks
Sanda… well in Sanda… you see...aaa... no.... actually there are no belt ranks there either
Wing Chun… nope… no belts
Taijiquan….aaaa….well… its like this… no belt ranks

Hope that helps :D

OP
C

Cronarct

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
thank you everyone, its interesting to read about other styles ranking systems :)

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
i spent 5 months as white belt and i'm now six month as a yellow belt and 6 months is about average for us give or take a little

except browns spend about 2 years at brown belt for us.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is the rank system in my dojo
These figures are based on 3 hours a week in the dojo and training at home. Others have put double and triple the hours in at the dojo and been promoted faster.
Student Has
White (2-3 Months)
Yellow (2-3 Months)
Orange (2-3 Months) 6 Months
Green (7th & 6th Kyu) (3-4 Months at each rank)
Blue (5th & 4th Kyu) (4-6 months at each rank) 20 Months
Brown (3rd - 1st Kyu) (4-6 Months at each rank) 2 Years
Shodan (1st Dan) (1.5 - 2 Years) 3.5 Yrs
Nidan (2nd Dan) (3 Years) 5.5 Yrs
Sandan (3rd Dan) (4 Years) 8.5 Yrs
Yondan (4th Dan) (5 Years) 12.5 Yrs
Godan (5th Dan) (6 Years) 18.5 Yrs
Rokudan (6th Dan) (7 Years) 24.5 Yrs
Nanadan (7th Dan) (8 Years) 32.5 Yrs
Hachidan (8th Dan) (8 Years) 41.5 Yrs

Hope that helps

CrimsonPhoenix

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In Tae Kwon Do,

White
(White w/ black stripe - mostly for kids)
Yellow - 9th gup
Yellow w/ black stripe - 8th gup
Green - 7th gup
Green w/ black stripe - 6th gup
Blue - 5th gup
Blue w/ black stripe - 4th gup
Brown - 3rd gup
Brown w/ black stripe - 2nd gup
Red - 1st gup
Black - 1st dan

Our system usually takes between 5-7 years to black belt. We only have 1 main class a week, but there is one at another location that a few of the students come to. The lower ranks are usually earned in 6 months or so for adults, maybe a year if they're kids. Once you get up to blue and brown especially, it's usually about a year for a full color change. Stripes have been reinstated mostly for the kids.

Rabu

Green Belt
Reaction score
I earned my black sash in Northern Shaolin in about a week.

Of course, that just signified that I was a member of the school, not any greater meaning connected to belt rankings as you describe. Chinese martial arts have begun to use 'duan' rankings and colored belts, but mostly not so much.

As a side note, one of the students who left the school still notes his 'black sash' in kung fu. Maybe this doesnt mean what he thinks it means.

Time, earned titles and positions within the school determine your 'rank'. How close you are with Shifu, his trust and extended family, the tasks you would be trusted with performing. These place you in the shool.

My 'rank' is 'junior instructor/advanced student' after 15 years. That doesnt mean I know more, or less than others, its just a place to stand in line.

The averge time to 'grade' at 'instructor' in the school stands at 8 or more years last I checked. There really isnt the push to 'promote' the same way as in 'belted' schools.

ccultrara

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In my dojang you can test for the next rank every three months for keups, barring instructor approval. Most students take 3-6 months. At 1st keup it takes one year until 1st dan/poom- 3.5-4 years. After that ,whatever dan is next is equal to how many years you have to wait. 2 for 2nd , 3 for thrid etc. I'm WTF TKD btw

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let me think…

Rank Progression rate

Of the last 4 styles I have trained it is like this

Xingyiquan….hmmm… no belt ranks
Sanda… well in Sanda… you see...aaa... no.... actually there are no belt ranks there either
Wing Chun… nope… no belts
Taijiquan….aaaa….well… its like this… no belt ranks

Hope that helps :D

Ditto... at my teacher's school, you're either the teacher or the student, and you knew exactly which one you were.

PictonMA

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I spent a couple of years as a kid doing boxing / kickboxing no belts.

I spent 4 1/2 years as a kid doing Tae Kwon Do and got to red belt (white, yellow, orange, green, blue, red, black).

I've been training in Karate for 21+ years now, which is my primary focus.

If my memory hasn't completely escaped me.....

White - Yellow - 2-3months
Yellow - Orange - 3months
Orange - Green - 3months
Green - Blue - 3months
Blue - Purple - 6months
Purple - Brown - 6months
Brown - Black - 18months
Shodan - Nidan - 2 1/2 years
Nidan - Sandan - 2 1/2 years
Sandan - Yondan - 3 years
Yondan - Godan - 5 years
Godan - Rokudan - 5 years
Rokudan - Nanadan - I'll let you know in another 5-10 years :p

Japanese JuJutsu (Gendai)
White - Black - 5 1/2 years
Shodan - Nidan - 3 years
Nidan - Sandan - 3 years
Sandan - Yondan - 5 years
Yondan - Godan - I'll let you know when it happens (been 5years so far)

BJJ
After 3 years or so I'm still wearing a white belt with 4bars on it, maybe I'll get graded to Blue, not really interested in rank any more.

thepanjr

Green Belt
Reaction score
Shinto-Ryu Karatedo
White-Yellow: 1 year(Interested but no diclipine)
Yellow-Green: 3 year( Finally got the hang of it and finally started loving martials crazy)
Green-Blue: 3 months( Practices in school, everywhere I can...the onyl thing I was good at)
Blue-Purple: 3 months( Continued but dipped...but many other problems arose....gave up love for martial arts for somethign else)
Purple-Brown: 4 year( Trying to recover my old self....and sturglling at it)
Brown-Black: God knows...if I can get there!

PeterMo

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all, I am a green belt currently studying Chinese Kenpo (Kung-Wu-Chu'an) and here's what my journey through the arts has taken me thus far. Of course a lot depends upon your effort and time you put into the art:

White
Orange - 5 months
Purple - 6 - 8 months
Blue - 8 - 12 months
Green - 8 - 12 months
Brown 3 Kyu - 6 to 8 months
Brown 2 Kyu - 6 to 8 months
Brown 1 Kyu - 6 to 8 months
1st Degree Black - 18 months
Total Time - 4.5 to 5 years

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan
These are my own times to progress. I don't think I can really speak for "averages" in this school, since I've only been training there for 14 months. I do know that I am progressing faster than average, and attribute this to having prior experience and also to putting in what I think is more than an average amount of time and effort outside the dojang.

White (10th geup) to Yellow (9th geup) - 1 month
Yellow to green stripe (8th geup) - 2 months
Green stripe to Green (7th geup) - 2 months
Green to blue stripe (6th geup) - 2 months
Blue stripe to Blue (5th geup) - 2 months
Blue to red stripe (4th geup) - 2 months
Red stripe to Red (3rd geup) - 3 month

comming from our NW TKD Association add the following
Red to Red High 2nd geup - 2-3 months
Red High to Brown 1st geup 2-3 months
Brown to Brown 2nd 2-3 months
Brown 2nd to Brown 1st or deputy Black belt 90 day probation then test 1st Dan.

Depending on training like 5-6 days a week hard person can go from white to black in 18 to 24 months. Now i have seen people not my students test for black after 4-7 years and were pitiful for green belt?

Time in rank

1st Dan to 2nd Dan 12 months
2nd Dan to 3rd Dan 24 months
3rd Dan to 4th Dan 36 months
4th Dan to 5th Dan 48 months
5th Dan to 6th Dan 60 months
6th Dan to 7th Dan 72 months

Note time is based on the date that KKW puts on your certificate not when you testes higher rank approval at KKW only meets once a year unless they have changed that since the take over?

Latest Discussions