belt system

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
For DT it is:
Student (during the training)
Operator/User (normal level of experience)
Instructor (requires a 40-80 hour instructor cert course)

For Kenpo Taijutsu it is:
nothing
Blue
Blue with 1 green stripe
Blue with 2 green stripes
Green
Green with 1 brown stripe
Green with 2 brown stripes
Brown
Brown with 1 black stripe
Brown with 2 black stripes
Black
Black with 1 blue stripe
Black with 1 green stripe
Black with 1 brown stripe (and that is it)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In savate we have colour 'gloves', not belts. The system goes:

blue
green
red
white
yellow
silver

In most national federations, I think white is the level required to teach, but in our federation the minimum standard required is red (although I think commonly that would be as an assistant instructor rather than running your own club). Most of the senior club instructors are white or yellow gloves. Silver is rare.

Grading isn't a particularly big deal, some people practice for years without really bothering with gradings at all, and training is very non-hierarchical. The person running the club will have a high glove ranking, but within the club there's no sense that glove ranking reflects 'seniority'. The fee for grading is small, and is the same for all glove rankings, whether a beginner or more experienced. Gradings also don't happen particularly often, so people don't really seem to focus on them as much as they do on competitions [or at least that's the sense I get from my own club].

I've got what may seem to be an obvious question. But perhaps not. Does one get an actual pair of gloves in that color when they test? Can you tell all the newer student because they have say, blue gloves, on? Or the instructor because they have white or silver gloves?

I'm not trying to be funny. My only frame of referrence is traditional Asian MA with belts.

Thanks for sharing!

matt_mcg

White Belt
Reaction score
No, there's no visible insignia. You train with your normal gloves. Sometimes you see yellow glove fighters with a little patch stitched on to their 'integral' [the stretchy unitard suit thing], but other than that, if you walked into a club you'd have no idea who was who in terms of ranking.

Most people would be wearing normal shorts/t-shirts or sweatpants, and there's no visible mark of 'rank'.

Draven

Green Belt
Reaction score
Omoto Ryu Ninjutsu
Previous Ranking system (no belts)
Deshi
Sempai/Sensei
Shihan

My Modernized Bekts;
Deshi:
White
Yellow
Orange
Green
Brown

Sempai/Sensei:
Black (1st to 4th Dan)

Shihan
Black w/ Red Stripe (5th Dan)

Anything above 5th Dan is honorary and 10th Dan (Soke) is solid a Red Belt.

Street Focus Jujitsu:
No Belts, Combatives-ish ranking, training phase only...
Beginner
Novice
Intermediate
Advanced
Expert
Assist Instructor
Instructor

Neither systenms have testing fees...

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
most people would prefer a universal system but its whatever works for your school. I know some schools offer patches for respect,etc, along with the belts but its not something that's exclusive.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
In Rhee Tae Kwon Do it is:

white
white with yellow tip
yellow
yellow with green tip
green
green with blue tip
blue
blue with brown tip
brown
brown with black tip
junior black belt
1st Dan
instructor
higher Dans

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Our system uses

White
White/Yellow
Yellow
Yellow/Green
Green
Green/Blue
Blue
Blue/Red
Red
Red/Black
First Dan

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you resurrected this thread, I'll add mine.

Traditionally in NGA:
  • White
  • Yellow
  • Blue
  • Green
  • Purple
  • Brown
  • Black (5, 6, or 10 dan system, depending which group you ask - 6-dan system is the largest)
My curriculum (as of this writing):
  • White
  • Yellow
  • Orange
  • Brown
  • Black (not really any dan ranks, add a red stripe when certified as an Instructor, and a second when Senior Instructor)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In Rhee Tae Kwon Do it is:

white
white with yellow tip
yellow
yellow with green tip
green
green with blue tip
blue
blue with brown tip
brown
brown with black tip
junior black belt
1st Dan
instructor
higher Dans
I've always wondered - what is a "tip?"

A strip of tape, a patch sewn on, etc?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seido Juku does the order of colors differently from everyone else I've seen. We're the only ones I know of who do blue before yellow. Trivial knowledge for anyone interested... according to his autobiography, Tadashi Nakamura introduced the colored belt system to Kyokushinkai. It was originally white, brown, and black. There was a 10 kyu system in place, but belts weren't issued; students only got a certificate. When he was teaching a lot of Americans at Camp Zama, he he approached Mas Oyama about adding colored belts to keep the Americans motivated. Oyama allowed it, much to the opposition by Oyama's senior students. Nakamura kept the same color system he brought to Kyokushin when he left and formed Seido Juku. Kyokushin added orange for 10th kyu, and used white belt as mu kyu (no rank).

Seido Juku belt order...

10th kyu - White
9th kyu - Advanced white
8th kyu - Blue
7th kyu - Advanced blue
6th kyu - Yellow
5th kyu - Advanced yellow
4th kyu - Green
3rd kyu - Advanced green
2nd kyu - Brown
1st kyu - Advanced brown

1st dan & up - black with stripes corresponding to rank.

Advanced colored belts (ie advanced blue belt) keep the solid belt, and sew a patch on it once promoted. The patch has the same kanji the black belts have - organization name. So if you're a 2nd kyu brown belt and are promoted to 1st kyu, you're given a patch to sew onto your current belt.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always wondered - what is a "tip?"

A strip of tape, a patch sewn on, etc?

In most schools, it's a 'half way' mark between colored belts. We use tape, but there are probably places that do other things, such as embroidered stripes.

Our belt system goes
No belt or dobak till you learn basic form 1.
10th geup - white
9th geup - yellow
8th geup - yellow with a green stripe
7th geup - green
6th geup - green with a blue stripe
5th geup - blue
4th geup - blue with a red stripe
3rd geup - red
2nd geup - red with a black stripe
1st geup - red with two black stripes
Chodanbo - red and black belt

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In most schools, it's a 'half way' mark between colored belts. We use tape, but there are probably places that do other things, such as embroidered stripes.

Our belt system goes
No belt or dobak till you learn basic form 1.
10th geup - white
9th geup - yellow
8th geup - yellow with a green stripe
7th geup - green
6th geup - green with a blue stripe
5th geup - blue
4th geup - blue with a red stripe
3rd geup - red
2nd geup - red with a black stripe
1st geup - red with two black stripes
Chodanbo - red and black belt
It is a strip of electrical tape on one end of a belt to signify the next solid color because we spare no expense.
I get it. It's the same thing we do, only we're high class and sew on a patch on the belt instead of getting a strip of electrical tape :)

My previous school came from Seido. Instead of a patch, we'd get a new belt - it had a line down the middle of the belt with the next belt's color. So an advanced yellow belt would be a yellow belt with a green stripe, kind of like the junior black belt that has a white stripe on it.

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I get it. It's the same thing we do, only we're high class and sew on a patch on the belt instead of getting a strip of electrical tape :)

My previous school came from Seido. Instead of a patch, we'd get a new belt - it had a line down the middle of the belt with the next belt's color. So an advanced yellow belt would be a yellow belt with a green stripe, kind of like the junior black belt that has a white stripe on it.

In Pasaryu our belt system is as follows:

White
Yellow
Green
Blue
Purple
Brown
Black

Also our Black belt degree goes to 9th. You get there and you're a korean master. Also once you hit black you get to pick an animal name and your name and animal name are printed in korean on the black belt. At 9th degree you have a red stripe on each side of your black belt. Or you can opt to keep your black belt without the stripes.

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Level 1: White
Level 2: Purple
Level 3: Blue
Level 4: Green
Level 5: Brown
Level 6: Black

Latest Discussions