Quit training and was injured in a fight. The guy ran called cops jujitsu saved me only i cannot motivate myself to train.

Johnkungfu

White Belt
Reaction score
How do i motivate myself @ 59 its also expensive forms are not enough any ideas?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Motivation needs to come from within. I don’t have any magical solutions for that.

You need to find a school teaching something that you find interesting and enjoyable. You also need to feel comfortable in the training environment, and feel comfortable with your teachers and your classmates. When you find these things, motivation will often take care of itself.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jujitsu is worth the money though, right? If motivation is the only concern and money/time/distance/other aren't stopping you from continuing then I say it's worth giving it a shot again.

Motivation is different from person to person, and I hope you find the motivation to make the decision that's right for you.

I say going ahead and giving it a shot again is a good method. Usually when I'm feeling doubtful or need motivation, going out and doing what I need to do helps build some confidence/motivation. Though that may just be me. It would be great to get back into jujitsu but assuming you still find jujitsu to be lacking that motivation, perhaps you could seek out alternatives? This may mean starting over with a new style. Maybe have a good discussion with your jujitsu instructor and figure out what you want from jujitsu? I'm no expert on advice giving so take this with a grain of salt. I wish you luck in whatever choice you go with.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How do i motivate myself @ 59 its also expensive forms are not enough any ideas?

While I was talking to a psychologist during my divorce over 20+ years ago, he gave me some advice.
Fake it until you make it.
Go and do the things you used to enjoy doing.
You will find moments of enjoyment and happiness within them.
Then over time you will have that enjoyment back like it was before.

That being said motivation can be hard.
Getting up and go doing stuff when everything hurts is also difficult.
So do not try to set the goals to all the time or like before.
Set it easy to once a week.
Pick a day so it now is a routine and you can plan around it.

Mileage will vary
Not a real doctor
Opinions ... everyone has one

I wish you the best.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I'm trying to motivate myself, at darn near 61, and not quit training all together after many years of injury, arthritis, cataracts surgery, 2 retina repairs, 2 meniscus repairs and a total knee replacement. with what is very likely another total knee and total hip in my future.

It i not easy, but for me it is starting to look like a bit of a different direction due to what will need to be a different approach. Sometimes it takes time and lots of contemplation to figure it out.

OP
J

Johnkungfu

White Belt
Reaction score
Jujitsu is worth the money though, right? If motivation is the only concern and money/time/distance/other aren't stopping you from continuing then I say it's worth giving it a shot again.

Motivation is different from person to person, and I hope you find the motivation to make the decision that's right for you.

I say going ahead and giving it a shot again is a good method. Usually when I'm feeling doubtful or need motivation, going out and doing what I need to do helps build some confidence/motivation. Though that may just be me. It would be great to get back into jujitsu but assuming you still find jujitsu to be lacking that motivation, perhaps you could seek out alternatives? This may mean starting over with a new style. Maybe have a good discussion with your jujitsu instructor and figure out what you want from jujitsu? I'm no expert on advice giving so take this with a grain of salt. I wish you luck in whatever choice you go with.
Yes i have been thinking the same thing and went back but its very hard work but worth it . i am looking for a good gym not easy. Thank you

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So what exactly is your question/issue? You found that your style of jiu jitsu was effective and saved your life, right? So why is that not enough to motivate further training? Is there something you're expecting from training, or is it more effort than you're expecting to continue training, or do you panic when you think of what happened? Or something else entirely?

OP
J

Johnkungfu

White Belt
Reaction score
So what exactly is your question/issue? You found that your style of jiu jitsu was effective and saved your life, right? So why is that not enough to motivate further training? Is there something you're expecting from training, or is it more effort than you're expecting to continue training, or do you panic when you think of what happened? Or something else entirely?
I have no real idea - i think its just age and maybe the cost when you have experience and know it hurts and hard work i guess you get lazy & get mentally blocked. I have been pushing done 4 classes so far.thx any tips
My original teacher quit for family illness - haven't found anyone like him too.

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have found with many of my students, having them watch Martial Arts movies on a regular basis, and think about yourself fighting that good helps motivate them.

wolfeyes2323

Green Belt
Reaction score
Start disciplining yourself, motivation comes from
training, not before training. Bodies are lazy ,
the mind has to take charge and start disciplining it ,
just like owning a pet. You might have to drag Fido
out of the house at first, but once he sniffs the hydrant
he'll want to start going for walks , then there are squirrels
and there is your motivation.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Human behaviour is, for the most part, governed by a simplified loop of, action -> result -> reward -> action etc. In this case, you practise (action), you’re able to perform a punch, a kick, a bit of footwork etc fairly well (result), you receive a hit of dopamine in your brain’s striatum (reward) which pushes you to begin the loop again. In the early phases of martial arts practise, the results can be almost negligible and the dopamine reward, commensurately diminutive. For some people this tiny amount of dopamine is just enough to keep them coming back for more and the loop is strengthened. For others (the majority) it is not enough, the action becomes less frequent, the rewards lessen and the loop weakens and they give up martial arts training. This explains the high rate of attrition amongst martial arts initiates. Of course there are many other factors, but this is essentially it. This threshold is determined by ones personality, tenacity, grit and determination and I’d hazard a guess that most longtime martial arts practitioners are good at other things too!

As those who do keep training continue, the learning curve tends to flatten and even plateau, the results diminish and so do the rewards. Some will thus give up at this much later stage (‘the second/third Dan grave yard’ as we call it in Iaido) but what keeps those of us who continue, training? Habit!

‘Habits are actions that are triggered automatically in response to contextual cues that have been associated with their performance.’ Dr Philipa Lally, UCL.

For example, the cue may be getting into a car, the habit is reaching for the seatbelt. Or waking up in the morning, walking into the bathroom and getting in the shower.

What forges that habit is repetition. There are stages to forming a habit-

1. The initiation phase is the toughest stage, where you are essentially working against the grain of your previous behaviour .
  2. The learning phase where one develops automaticity where the habit builds momentum.
  3. The stability phase is where you have a full blown habit. This is the point where it feels strange not to do something than to do it.
There is a myth that a habit takes 21 days to develop, however research shows that it takes on average 60 days (and even up to 254 days ) to develop. Missing the occasional day’s practise seems to not be a problem but missing consecutive days or even a week derails the whole process.

Situational contexts are stronger than timing contexts, thus walking into the bathroom and showering is stronger than showering at a certain time of day, but temporal and spatial contexts are synergistic.

This should explain what goes into ‘motivation’ but too a large extent it’s up to you to tweak these various factors to keep yourself training and achieve success in the martial arts or whatever is your chosen endeavour.

OP
J

Johnkungfu

White Belt
Reaction score
While I was talking to a psychologist during my divorce over 20+ years ago, he gave me some advice.
Fake it until you make it.
Go and do the things you used to enjoy doing.
You will find moments of enjoyment and happiness within them.
Then over time you will have that enjoyment back like it was before.

That being said motivation can be hard.
Getting up and go doing stuff when everything hurts is also difficult.
So do not try to set the goals to all the time or like before.
Set it easy to once a week.
Pick a day so it now is a routine and you can plan around it.

Mileage will vary
Not a real doctor
Opinions ... everyone has one

I wish you the best.
Thankyou

Judo boi

White Belt
Reaction score
There's just so much going on in your post title
Glad you are ok though

Latest Discussions