Questions and then some

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As Carol said, it is the term for "martial"… basically, kobudo 古武道 is "old martial ways". The more common usage is for Ryukyu Kobudo, which dominantly refers to weaponry systems associated with the Ryukyu Kingdom (which contains Okinawa), covering such weapons as Bo, Tonfa, Nunchaku, and Sai, but also less commonly known weapons, such as Eku (oar), Tuite, Kaiken, and more. This area of knowledge is sometimes seen alongside karate systems (more often Okinawan systems, but sometimes Japanese ones as well), although it strictly speaking is more of a separate art.

Tuite, as I have always understood the term, is not a weapon. It is a system of joint locks and pressure points geared towards pain compliance. Is there some other meaning to the word that leads you to include it in a list of weapons?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah, dammit… good catch!

Yeah, that was me getting a bit muddled in my head… I was thinking of the Tinbe/Timbe (small shield often used alongside a short spear, called a Rochin, from memory), getting muddled up with the alternate term for Tonfa (Tuifa), and misremembering a term… oops.

You're absolutely right, Tuite is an unarmed concept, focused on joint locks and pain compliance.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
second one okinawan styles like wadoryu, shitoryu, or gojuryu are okinawan but later okinawa became part of japan; could one this day and time say they are japanese
Donald, as has been said, Okinawa was part of the Ryukyu kingdom. It was a centre for trade, including trade between Japan and China but in the early days more closely linked to China. They also had close blood ties to China through the 36 families. In 1879 Japan annexed the islands and abolished the monarchy. So technically Okinawa is Japanese, just that many of the Okinawans still refer to themselves as Okinawnan rather than Japanese.

When it comes to martial art, I differentiate between Okinawan and Japanese karate because although it originated in Okinawa, karate in Japan developed more along the sport path while in Okinawa a lot of the older traditional training has been maintained.

Again, as has been said, Wado Ryu is a Japanese style of karate but certainly the closest to the Okinawan styles. So Goju Ryu, Shito Ryu, Shorin Ryu, Uechi Ryu and Isshin Ryu are Okinawan and although there are offshoots of these most others are Japanese styles derived from the Okinawan.

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
flinching ... whats a good way to prevent that? in kobudo class most of the time i dont flinch but sometimes. im going to ask my instructor this question but i thought id ask here too cause sone people say different things

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Flinching is not necessarily something you have to avoid. If you do it intentionally, it's called evading the strike. :)
Exposure is the single best way to control your flinch response.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The lineage of American Karate, as I know it, goes something like this -
Men came back from overseas military service in the 40's and on. They started teaching the fighting arts they had learned overseas. Their art/teachings morphed as input from other arts came in, and the needs pertaining to American society concerning personal self defense (correctly conceived or not) arose. And that continues.

Please do not mistake those statements as disrespect or the downplaying of historical significence. We are a very young art, still wet behind the ears.

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
when martial artists ad dr. to their title what does that mean?

what does xing yi translate to

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

what does xing yi translate to
I would think that they have an unhealthy ego. I know of one, who shall remain nameless, who quotes an amazing array of titles, including a doctorate, from non-existent institutions. But it looks good if you are promoting yourself.

As to xing yi, sorry, no idea.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
most of the time it means they bought their rank in a soke factory. Possibly they just want to look impressive but i have yet to find a institution of higher learning the has a doctorate of martial arts program say nothing of having one in a specific style

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
most of the time it means they bought their rank in a soke factory. Possibly they just want to look impressive but i have yet to find a institution of higher learning the has a doctorate of martial arts program say nothing of having one in a specific style
In fairness, Tetsuhiro Hokama is a real Doctor of Philosophy, an incredible martial artist and a really nice guy.

Tetsuhiro Hokama is a 10th Dan Gojuryu Karatedo Hanshi, President of the Okinawa Gojuryu Kenshi Kai Karatedo Kobudo Association and founder of the first Karatedo museum in the World. Although not as well known in the United States compared to other Okinawan Gojuryu teachers, Hanshi Hokama is one of the most knowledgeable Gojuryu Karatedo masters. He has a deep understanding of the “Old Ways” of Karate.
He obtained an honorary doctorate for karate studies in the U.S. in 2002 while leading his group expanding overseas, and later obtained a doctorate for physical education (martial arts) at the University of Mindanao in the Philippines in 2004. When the All Okinawa Karate Kobudo Federation of the Philippines was established on October 16, 2005,he was awarded Hanshi 10th dan by Chairman Masami Nakamura of the federation, and became it's supreme advisor.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, I see no point in listing credentials that have nothing to do with the subject under discussion.
Do people at the dojang care about my university degrees? Not in the least.
Do people in the ER care about my MA training? Only when they need help with someone who is combative. And even then they don't care what my rank is.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
K-man
No disrespect intended towards Tetsuhiro Hokama or anyone else that has completed a higher learning to get a college degree.
Dirty Dog
I agree, I see no reason to add a persons higher learning certificate to your martial arts title. It most likely has no connection to you knowledge in the arts.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
K-man
No disrespect intended towards Tetsuhiro Hokama or anyone else that has completed a higher learning to get a college degree.
Dirty Dog
I agree, I see no reason to add a persons higher learning certificate to your martial arts title. It most likely has no connection to you knowledge in the arts.
I certainly didn't take it that you were showing disrespect. I can't stand any of the grandiose titles that some MA people assume. I posted about Hokama because meeting him and having the opportunity to talk with him is a highlight of my martial art journey.

A lot of people train with or are taught by guys who have graded up through the years but have never trained with people at the highest level who themselves trained with people at the highest level. Therefore unless they do a lot of research they can be blissfully unaware of the full extent of their art. Hokama was taught by 10th dans who were taught by the original masters. His knowledge is second to none and he enjoys meeting people and talking about it. A truly remarkable man who just by coincidence has a martial art doctorate.

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
tatsuo shimabuku is brother to eizo shikabuku is he also brothers with zenryō shimabuku (ive been told theres 3 brothers)

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
who was the third brother?

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
who was the third brother?
I don't think there was one, at least not someone in karate. Both Zenryo and Tatsuo studied karate with Chotoku Kyan and he had previously had a student whose name was Taro Shimabukuro, but I don't think he was related to either Tatsuo or Zenryo Shimabukuro. I could be wrong about that, but that's what I remember hearing. Apparently Shimabukuro isn't that rare a name on Okinawa

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
the other day i was talking with my mother. she brings my sister to karate. and latley she has came up with the idea the instructor has "favoratisms" her reason is because he occasionally gets on to her. but its almost like she only sees one side of the issue. the other side, im almost certain he gets on to her more often because of several reasons (im assuming the big one is memory, she comes to class and often forgets the forms she practice and other reasons but om not going too far into detail) yet her mom refuses to listen to reason. im just using thisas an example. im sure there are more difficult people, my question is; how do you deal with someone being difficult?

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
ive been practicing the niuwei dao
(this one is mine)
2299-1410030908-e7bb8c0c0d511feb327f5d21a06fd639.jpg

for almost a year, and have recently been trusted with a second form and ive been thinking, maybe later on i might want a nicer dao. my question, what would the average cost of a good dao range?

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Got another question! :)(Though may be an ignorant question)
At a siminar I was invited to we were doing a few basic small circle jujutsu... jijitsu? I dont remember spelling but my wuestion was; why is it called SMALL CIRCLE juijitsu
I assumed because it was because the wrist/finger locks we went over didnt involve a lot of movement on the user's side but I could be mistaken

Latest Discussions