question

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
okay my instructer found out that me and my girlfriend have been taking another KARATE class which is much different then his class and now he wants to come to the class and check it out should I be worried?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hong kong fooey said:
okay my instructer found out that me and my girlfriend have been taking another KARATE class which is much different then his class and now he wants to come to the class and check it out should I be worried?
He may be taking this as a lack of faith in what he has to teach. I think it is quite big of him to check it out before telling you what he thinks. I can't see what you have to be worried about... yet.
Sean

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Until you hear what he thinks about the class, we have nothing to go on.

For me, it would be fun.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends on your instructor, and why he wants to check it out.

If he wants to do a little networking, thats good

If he wants to try and learn something new that is good

If he wants to go and prove himself that is very bad.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hong kong fooey said:

What were his reasons for wanting to come? Curiousity? Was he upset with you when he found out? Does your instructor have an open mind and genuinely likes to visit other schools and check out their methods of teaching? Perhaps he has a keen interest in other arts. Right now I don't think you have anything to really worry about. Go, have fun, and if you value his opinion ask for his. :)

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would guess that he only wants to see what the impact may be on what he's trying to teach you. But as I said, I'm guessing. Should you be worried. No. It's a free country. If there's a problem, cross that bridge when you come to it.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it's good that he wants to check it out. (unless, as Andrew said, he's going to prove himself).

There are some styles that compliment each other quite well and others that can really mess up what you're learning in your base art. Maybe your instructor wants to see if it will be compatible for you to train both arts or if he needs to let you know you need to make a choice.
*Gemini and I were posting at the same time* :) Basically saying the same thing here.

You know your instructor. What kind of guy is he? I do think it would have been more respectful, since you've been training with your current instructor for 2 years, to tell him you were interested in trying out an additional art and would there be any problem with it. JMO. But you probably don't have anything to worry about.

How long have you and your girlfriend been taking the Karate class? Do you like it? Let us know how it goes. :asian:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If it were me, I might go, just to campare what they are teaching to what you are doing. That way I would know where to place blame for concepts or motion I didn't like. Problems are much easier to handle at the root.
Sean

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Man, I stop to do some work and there's a response explosion! I'm not sure I can add anything useful...but that sure never stopped me from posting before. lol

I very much think it has to do with what you know of your instructor. You probably honestly already know the answer to the question unless you've only just started the first class.

I wouldn't worry about it unless there's an issue. But either way, there's nothing to stop him from going to any class he chooses.

The fact that he hasn't in the past either means he's threatened, unconfident, or honestly interested. I hope it's the latter.

Let us know what happens.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This sounds a bit odd, but not yet overly worrisome. If he's just curious or hoping to meet a fellow instructor, no problem. But if he has something to prove...that could be an issue.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hong kong fooey said:

Worried about what, everybody like to see techniques from other people so take him and enjoy his company
Terry

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Does this other school teach the same discipline as his school? If it does then he's looking at direct competition, although I find it odd that he would want to accompany his students instead of checking by himself. If the school is different, then he would most likely be limited in trying to critique what and how they teach. I realize that one can always pick something up from watching another, but there's something here that's making me scratch my head.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many instructors are also protective of their students and don't want them receiving bad teaching and the more experienced can sometimes see things that the less experienced can't so he could be just wanting to make sure that the other school is good, for the sake of his own studnets

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
If he wants to watch how another instructor conducts his/her class, I see nothing wrong with that.

Miles

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most instructors want to know what else is going into thir studends heads. Most don't want people cross training unless that student has high rank. I would tend to say "I'll be glad to pick you up and take you over to watch a class",

S

scootmando

Hi guys, First time posting.
My question is are you at this new class when your other classes are going?
If its at differnt times then there shouldent be a problem.
Its somthimes fun to bring back some new ideas or have a quick look other styles.. Thanks Scott..

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
scootmando said:
Hi guys, First time posting.
My question is are you at this new class when your other classes are going?
If its at differnt times then there shouldent be a problem.
Its somthimes fun to bring back some new ideas or have a quick look other styles.. Thanks Scott..

Scootmando hello and welcome to the forum, you should go to the newbie section and say a hello to everybody and give some background on yourself.
Terry

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our previous instructor is fairly open minded, I think he's just curious as to what others in our area are teaching (especially if it's new in the area). The 2 disciplines are a bit different. The new one isn't strictly TKD.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
The new one is at the same time as his, but there are other classes near enough at another time that is started by our original.