Question on longswords

D

Dylan9d

Anyone knows a good place were you can purchase trainingswords?

Preferably in Europe or even the Netherlands :)

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This should go in the HEMA section. Eastern European smiths will likely be your best bet. Regenyei and Ensifer make very good longsword trainers. Pavel Moc as well. For nylon, look up Black Fencer or Pentti (now made by Purpleheart in the US I think), which are both excellent products. Black Fencer is made in Spain.

OP
D

Dylan9d

That is probably more of a budget question, for me getting into HEMA nylon was a much more affordable first step.

Nylon it will be then i guess :)

It got my attention actually a couple of months ago that I saw a website here in Holland with longsword fighting and that the guy said that most people think that Eastern MA are superior to European MA, but they are not. So that got me curious about that fact and I'm now at the point I want to try it myself.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

It got my attention actually a couple of months ago that I saw a website here in Holland with longsword fighting and that the guy said that most people think that Eastern MA are superior to European MA, but they are not. So that got me curious about that fact and I'm now at the point I want to try it myself.
Western martial arts were always "hey, I think this works, let's just teach it to some other dudes." While eastern was alot of "I made this, it is the superior method, and I will spread it to the world!"
Something like Japanese armed fighting will of course be different from European, because historical weapons and equipments etc.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Western martial arts were always "hey, I think this works, let's just teach it to some other dudes." While eastern was alot of "I made this, it is the superior method, and I will spread it to the world!"
Something like Japanese armed fighting will of course be different from European, because historical weapons and equipments etc.
um...no that is not an accurate characterization.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Eastern sword fighting takes you ten years to learn to cut a mat in half.

Western does lean towards the more practical task of fighting with a sword.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Eastern sword fighting takes you ten years to learn to cut a mat in half.

Western does lean towards the more practical task of fighting with a sword.

That's just amazing. You don't practice either one, and have only the smallest bit of comprehension about the subject, but you insist on "sharing" your thoughts. It must be good to feel like you know everything about everything. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's just amazing. You don't practice either one, and have only the smallest bit of comprehension about the subject, but you insist on "sharing" your thoughts. It must be good to feel like you know everything about everything. :)

You can tell just by reading the thread.

Noob. "which sword should I buy? "

Expert "this one"

I mean that was some sort of efficiency right there.

Latest Discussions