Question: If Hollywood gave you a "reboot" of your martial arts career...

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you were cast as yourself in a remake of your life... what martial art would you choose to learn as your first or primary art, instead of what you learned then?

Instead of Korean Karate (TSD) forever, I would have chosen Gongkwon Yusul in Austin, Texas when a school was planted there (circa 2011). While also working on learning GracieBJJ, and Kyudo.

In short... what happened in 1996... some Korean martial artists took note of BJJ and evolved their standup striking arts to address the ground game in a systematic and methodical manner. Then they opened their first school outside of Korea in Brazil in 2006.

Why Brazil? Maybe to test their product in the land of BJJ.

gongkwon yusul martial arts Korean MMA jujitsu

Gongkwon Yusul is a modern Korean martial art system founded by Kang Jun in 1996. Its main influences include the martial arts of Hapkido, Hakko-ryu Jujutsu, Yudo and Kyuk Too Ki (Korean style Thai Boxing/Shoot Boxing). Gongkwon Yusul is a system which emphasises the application of striking, locking, and throwing techniques in practical, free-flowing fighting situations, rather than the static applications, more in common in traditional styles of Hapkido.

Gongkwon Yusul is a system which emphasises the application of striking, locking, and throwing techniques in practical, free-flowing fighting situations, rather than the static applications, more in common in traditional styles of Hapkido.

It also varies from traditional Hapkido in that many of its hand techniques are strongly influenced by Western boxing, and that a significant part of Gongkwon Yusul training is in groundwork, applying techniques more akin to judo and Brazilian jiu-jitsu, than most Hapkido styles.

In a sense Gongkwon Yusul is an attempt to combine the practical, free-flowing technique application, often seen in mixed martial arts, whilst still retaining many traditional martial art attributes, such as uniforms, terminology, and ranking structure.

Since its foundation the art has grown rapidly in its home county of Korea with many dojangs around Seoul and also some regional areas of South Korea. This martial art is not widely known outside of Korea; however, there have been dojangs opened in other countries. The first was established in Brazil in 2006.

Instructor - Trainingcontent Kampfkunst Martial Art Gongkwon Yusul

And Wille Nelson apparently is a 5th dan in it.
willie.jpg

The sad thing is... there are already CON-artists selling fake certifications so fake schools can teach (ahem rob students)

Last edited:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I really lucked out and received Filipino Martial Arts training right from the beginning. I wouldn't change a thing other than to train even harder!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hard to say. I am who I am because of what I've done and the choices I've made. I agree with Tony that wrestling in high school would be great for my martial arts. Maybe I would skip school less, smoke less weed, and in general be a less rowdy delinquent. But all of the trouble I got into in my youth was formative and has helped shape who I am today.

I could say I would box in the USAF. There were guys at Hahn AB who were training, and I went once. But preferred to travel on the weekends, and spend my nights at the gasthaus or the local dive bar in Traben/Trarbach called the Lowen grube.

Then college, then kids, then career. I don't know. I didn't start training in MA until I was 36 years old, but I can't see much room for it before then.

the only thing I'd look for in a reboot is casting me with a little more hair on my head and a little less hair on my back.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't change my MA history, but I would want them to get someone really good looking to play me.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wouldn't change my choice. I would have like to learn Jow Ga Kung Fu at an earlier age so that I could learn more. Then I would take other martial arts to help fill in any gaps that mine may have. Not so much as to use the technique from a martial arts style but to learn how to use Jow Ga against a particular martial arts style. If Jow Ga doesn't have an answer to Judo and wrestling, then at least I would be able to use Judo or wrestling to fill in the gaps.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wish I had started sooner and tried out a few different things.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Would have started the same (Jujutsu) but would have rather gone with JKD and then Xingyiquan, but hindsight is 20/20 and I have to go with what I have so if some Hollywood producer lost his marbles and wanted to do a movie about my life...he'd have to go with what I did