putting other martial artists down

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
hongkongfooey said:
So chewbacca taught their granmaster 108 forms? 108 forms, thats a lot of time practicing to get down the movements. All of that time learning forms. How much time do they spend on actual fighting? I wouldn't sweat it. But then again, if it bothers you that much, post a few replies of your own, just to even out the playing field. Go watch a few classes at the school who you believe to be the one spreading all of this garbage. After you have witnessed their style then post your own opinion on the matter.

HKF

Well, I've seen some very short forms.........could have something to do with it.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I was 19, I just HAD to believe that I was studying the "most besterest style" and everyone else was just kidding themselves. Now that I'm twice the age, I am more tolerant and respect all sincere (and honest) practioners of the martial arts and all styles - while recognizing some are more effective for self-defence training than others. Putting other martial artists down, the title of this thread, is a maturity issue, IMO.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
When I was 19, I just HAD to believe that I was studying the "most besterest style" and everyone else was just kidding themselves. Now that I'm twice the age, I am more tolerant and respect all sincere (and honest) practioners of the martial arts and all styles - while recognizing some are more effective for self-defence training than others. Putting other martial artists down, the title of this thread, is a maturity issue, IMO.

I agree. There is no best style. We can have opinions about "sport vs. SD". But that's it, opinion. You can state your opinion without a put down.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know of systems where some of the forms are less than 20 moves. I also know of at least one system with 140 forms in it( and no only a few in the system have even seen all of them) Yes it takes forever to learn that many forms .
You can find good and bad within any system ( application of moves and students)

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hongkongfooey said:
I believe I know what chain you are talking about.

They claim to teach 17 animal styles, 15 empty hand styles, 23 weapon styles, 23 internal styles. Then they claim that the list shown is just a brief list. That's a lot of information to assimilate. HKF

There is the possiblility that they have a large staff of instructors in a variety of different arts and the claims are based on what they know collectively and not individually.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
green meanie said:
There is the possiblility that they have a large staff of instructors in a variety of different arts and the claims are based on what they know collectively and not individually.

Lets hope that is the case. But if the the system is the same one that I am thinking it is, then it probably not.

Latest Discussions