Purely American additions to Tae Kwon Do

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are some things that are purely (or mainly) an American addition to TKD? I would hope there are positives (or at least neutral things) to list as well as negatives.

What are things that don't appear in the Korean brand of the Art?

The first thing off the top of my head is rank stripes on black belts. I consider it a neutral thing.

What are things that you notice?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How we can never be respectful towards other BB in this country.

Jphtkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
How we can never be respectful towards other BB in this country.

There is just as much of that in Korea as there is here. Hence the hundreds of different kwans and associations.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
The American flag that we add to the uniform ;-)

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
What are some things that are purely (or mainly) an American addition to TKD? I would hope there are positives (or at least neutral things) to list as well as negatives.

What are things that don't appear in the Korean brand of the Art?

The first thing off the top of my head is rank stripes on black belts. I consider it a neutral thing.

What are things that you notice?

FWIW ITF regs dictate roman Numerals to designate BB rank aroubd the world. I prefer it to stripes since after 6 or seven it makes it hard to count easily.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am quite sure Americans added green belt to taekwondo, I mean there are a lot of random colours used by a lot of different people, but Americans added green to which it became mainstreamish.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Lots of stuff apparently has been overlooked.

1) After school pick up service........:)
2) Little cubs/tigers/ninjas clubs...............:uhyeah:
3) Special Black Belt clubs.................................:barf:
4) Camo belts.........................:ultracool
5) 12 to 15 color belt rankings...............:mst:
6) Special Olympic training (?) What ever that may be........RTFM
7) Special/separate self defense classes............:confused:
8) Special get your black belt in a year with only 2 classes a week......:bs1:

I'm sure others can come up with a few more, so I'll that for them........

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am quite sure Americans added green belt to taekwondo, I mean there are a lot of random colours used by a lot of different people, but Americans added green to which it became mainstreamish.

Not correct. General Choi's 1972 text contains White, Yellow, Green, Blue, Red, and Blak.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lots of stuff apparently has been overlooked.

1) After school pick up service........:)
2) Little cubs/tigers/ninjas clubs...............:uhyeah:
3) Special Black Belt clubs.................................:barf:
4) Camo belts.........................:ultracool
5) 12 to 15 color belt rankings...............:mst:
6) Special Olympic training (?) What ever that may be........RTFM
7) Special/separate self defense classes............:confused:
8) Special get your black belt in a year with only 2 classes a week......:bs1:

I'm sure others can come up with a few more, so I'll that for them........

Glad Im in the Uk :)

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Didnt think I could add anything to this thread, but I got one...

"American Breaking Boards"

seriously, I always wondered when I read the "I broke 5 boards for my BB" until a friend in the use posted me a board. I have the equivilant in the UK and I can tell you the difference is mainly in density.

The US board was slightly thinner, but moreso it was much much lighter!

In 2005 I did a US comp and chose three wood boards for a reverse knifehand downward strike, thinking they were the equal of those we get in the UK, but TBH, it was like breaking a single board!

Stuart

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Come on Sruart you guys have some og those school there as well.

We do now.. but they have all stemmed from the US! ie. ATA, EFC etc... they follow those guys and brought their ways to our island!

Stuart

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
First, in reply to Earl's original post, I like that it's hard to distinguish how many stripes after six on my belt. It makes some people assume that I'm already 7th or 8th dan. Second, many of the things blamed on America have come to us from Korea. For example, the WTF actually puts the requirements for first dan of first poom being only 18 months of training. In part, this is a consequence of their watering TKD down to be part of the school systems over there. To the credit of many American and European schools, they have upped the requirements and standards to a highe level. According to the WTF, as a 6th dan, I should be entitled to use the title "Grandmaster" under their officially published guidelines. If I were to do that in most American circles, I would be laughed at.

Personally, I see things like Li' Dragons (ect) programs as a good thing IF they are taught correctly. That is an age that is going to make the biggest difference in the development of a child and if an instructor really knows what they are doing with children that age, he/she can make a great impact on who and what that child will grow up to be. If they stay with it, this type of program will help them build a foundation that will groom fantastic martial artists in the future. Even if they don't, the values that we teach them are going to make a bigger diference than it will for the other drop outs of later ages.

Finally, the idea of professionally run schools and raising the image of the martial arts as a profession and as an industry is something that was and is sorely needed IMO. The main thing is that it needs to be done with integrity and the quality standards of what is being taught should never be compromised. These two ends are not and need not be in conflict with each other.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do now.. but they have all stemmed from the US! ie. ATA, EFC etc... they follow those guys and brought their ways to our island!

Stuart

Yea I know I was just mentionoing it was not trying to offend anybody.
icon10.gif

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not correct. General Choi's 1972 text contains White, Yellow, Green, Blue, Red, and Blak.

Oh ok then. Possibly Americans shoved it over to kukkiwon from ITF then? Because they don't have it in any of their stuff.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
One thing We Americans have added is the SUCK factor.... I have seen alot of people that really don't have a right to teacher.... where is the regulation in American martial arts!!!!!!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One thing We Americans have added is the SUCK factor.... I have seen alot of people that really don't have a right to teacher.... where is the regulation in American martial arts!!!!!!

Sorry, but that made my day. Considering the rebel spirit of the American way...

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have been told that in the 60's and early 70's that GGM's Lee H. Park and Bong Yul Shin used the following belt rank system......White, Yellow, Green, Brown, and Black. The same as Kano's Judo system. Orange, Blue, Purple, and Red were added for kids and women classes.

I know GGM Shin still uses the above belt ranking scheme for Judo as do I. I never adapted the orange or blue belts as added by the USJA.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh ok then. Possibly Americans shoved it over to kukkiwon from ITF then? Because they don't have it in any of their stuff.

I would be the last to suggest that the powers to be at the Kukkiwon were influenced by the American consumer... but could be????

Latest Discussions