Tae Kwon Do Accomplishments

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was on another board & noticed the area on everyone's page asking that person to list their TKD accomplishments. Most everyone listed how they did in tournaments. If they hadn't been to any they often said, "none." While tournament standing are certainly accomplishments & things to take pride in, certainly there are other things to list besides those & belt rank.

What would be on your list of TKD accomplishments besides tournament wins &/or belt rank?

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well aside from my rank....

Helping to coach our competition team for the last several years...and our little school bringing home some hardware. We're not a big school, sports is not our focus...so that we can be reasonably competitive is a huge accomplishment for ou rkids and I had a small part of that.

Coming back from my knee injury. I had to stop training right before my 1st dan test....I almost quit. Instead, I was able to get myself healed up, back into training and came out the other end more skilled and stronger as a result.

Seeing the first batch of students that I started teaching as white belts test for Blackbelt this past October. It was a proud moment.

Peace,
Erik

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Accomplishments?

I never found an exercise program that I could stick with. Training consistently 4 to 5 days a week for 8 years is a huge accomplishment. learning to live a healthier lifestyle and feeling comfortable in my own skin >huge<. Having the confidence to preform in front of a crowd with out being horrified> again huge. For the most part I feel like I did in my late 20's but am 46>wow<. Making life long friends in the process> also excellent< Using the Martial Arts discipline to improve other aspects of my life>way cool<. Finding my personal physical limits then going even further and harder than I ever would have thought possible> again way cool< Knowing I have the skill to defend myself in a difficult situation >priceless<.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Coaching record and every single belt exam I have done, also what I have been able to bring for the art and sport side of TKD. One last thing the fact that after 45 years I am still going strong in mind and body.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
  • I'm grudgingly learning more patience to go with perseverence as I recover from a 2 month layoff with a broken foot. At 47 I can't just blast through ramping back up after injury as quick as when I was younger. I'm sure this will be valuable for the rest of my life as I try to work past the limits of age (and probably keep injuring myself). TKD continues to inspire me to challenge my limits...it's good to be hungry for more.
  • I'm learning more technically, tactically, and about athlete development as an assistant coach on our competition team. It's fun to work with committed athletes.
  • I'm having a ball as an assistant with the 5 and 6 year-old's class. Their joy, energy, and still emerging abilities make them both a challenge and a special pleasure to work with. 47 is a long ways from 5, but their enthusiasm is contagious.
  • I'll balance out the 'I've won...' by saying one of my accomplishments is getting my butt kicked more than once and learning something valuable each time. It sure feels better to dish it out, but being outclassed throws gas on my fire. I'm proud to keep getting back on the horse.
Carl

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Admitting that letting my ex-wife talk me into quiting was the second biggest mistake of my life (the marriage being #1...) and starting over after a 25 year hiatus.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've had 2 mothers tell me their young daughters successfully fought off unwanted inappropriate contact, one from a relative, the other from a stranger.

I've got a grandmother who told me her grandson has overcome his shyness through his training.

GM Sell told me I had a pretty good side kick in 1994 and GM Park hasn't had to correct the same error twice. :)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Learning/relearning 7 or 8 forms in less than 4 month well enough to teach them.

Motivating my friends to do more than the girly stuff and to hang in there when times got tough.

reminds me, I got more belts than you can shake a stick at, maybe I should make it into wall art...

Oh, and actually, one tourney achievement: 1st in my self designed Freestyle form.
First time ever I got a 1st in a competition...

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I met my wife through martial arts and we have a son whom I spoil shamelessly. You could say my training has given me both life and love.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Instead of answering the question about what I've accomplished in Taekwondo I'd rather say what Taekwondo has helped me achieve in life. Taekwondo in large part gave me the courage and confidence to leave my family and home country Kenya, 20 years ago when I was 23, to come to the U.S for university study and pretty much start a new life from scratch. I had $150 in my pocket and a tuition check for two semesters, written out to one of the universities that I attended. Seven year after my arrival I had earned a bachelors and masters degree. Thanks to my coming to the U.S. I was able to work my way to 4th Dan, meet a wonderful woman who's now my wife and with whom we have two children. I opened my own dojang last year after working as a full-time journalist for 14 years. I one day hope to help build a community library and taekwondo dojang in the Kenyan village where my parents where born as a token of appreciation.

Raistlin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
After teaching at my school for several years I ended up having to move across the country and leaving the school to one of my black belt students. At the end of my last class with that school each student took their turn at describing how taekwondo and the things that I taught them has changed their lives for the better. It was a very emotional evening. That was 4 years ago and I get regular updates on how the school is doing. It is still thriving and growing. This is probably my greatest accomplishment.

phatbway

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For me, it's 'earning' the title of "Assistant Instructor" in the span of 3 years. I worked my tail off and it's a great feeling of joy because I now see life from the other side of the spectrum. I'm loving it, really!

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
  • Having persevered traditional training for 24 years, and I am still learning everyday.
  • Having my students successfully defend themselves (3 of them women fighting off male attackers) on the street.
  • Helping to mold a small percent of today's generation from the video game/couch potato/entitled generation to working hard to earn something for themselves
  • on a physical note: This past weekend I broke 7 concrete cap blocks with a knife hand (they came from Lowes, btw, and the most I have ever done)
  • And most importantly, IMHO, preserving the tradition that was passed down to me for future generations of practitioners
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Master K

Green Belt
Reaction score
Believe me, I totally understand! I have a similar sentiment, and was delighted to read that someone else felt the value in stating so.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What have I done?

I've touched many lives in a positive manner. I have kids in my school that came in as wild animals with no concept of courtesy, respect, honor or integrity. They now stand proud, answer with "Yes, sir!" and know the difference between right and wrong. And if I never taught them a single TKD technique, what they have learned will help them in their lives.

Latest Discussions